Re: [S-R] Village ?

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
      Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there

      helene

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
        Although Stitnik sounds like a possible match, it is not in western Slovakia. So it doesn't seem to fit. Too bad, because it is one of my ancestral towns.
        CK
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

        > Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there
        >
        > helene

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
          Joanne,

          And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely similar...but they're in Slovenia.

          Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if online), we might be able to help better.

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
          > Thank You,
          > Joanne Liston

        • William
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
            On 2/27/2013 2:59 PM, t.salony wrote:

            > Joanne,
            >
            > And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely
            > similar...but they're in Slovenia.
            >
            > Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something
            > that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if
            > online), we might be able to help better.
            >
            > TOM
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "bojomo42" wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that
            > sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
            > > Thank You,
            > > Joanne Liston

            There is a "Studenec" near Valaska Bela. There is also a "Studene" near
            Bratislava.

            Bill Brna

          • davidsadventure4
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              Dear Carl:

              I initially thought the same thing - that it might be Stitnik. It is
              always good to see your posts, especially when Gemer is mentioned.

              Best regards,

              David

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

              (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
              > > Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

              > > Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and
              > > Hungarian language.
              > >
              > > The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) -
              > > Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.Â

              > > _http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/_
              (http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/)

              > > ________________________________
              > >
              > > From: MGMojher mgmojher@...>

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013

                How about STEBNIK, near Bardejov?

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Dear Joanne:

                  If you can provide any additional background information as to where and
                  how you learned about "STUTNICK" and PIESTANY, I think that it may be helpful
                  in the search to locate it.

                  Otherwise, you may find yourself on the proverbial "wild goose chase"
                  looking at villages with similar names. I have been there before myself in my
                  own research, and I found that the additional information helped me to
                  corroborate the evidence and locate the correct village (in my case, the village
                  where my paternal grandmother was born), which was in an area different
                  than what I had originally assumed. I hope that this helps a little.

                  Best regards,

                  David