Re: [S-R] Village ?

  • Zuzana Peer
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
      Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and Hungarian language.
      The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) - Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.

      http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
        Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there

        helene

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
          Although Stitnik sounds like a possible match, it is not in western Slovakia. So it doesn't seem to fit. Too bad, because it is one of my ancestral towns.
          CK
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

          > Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there
          >
          > helene

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
            Joanne,

            And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely similar...but they're in Slovenia.

            Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if online), we might be able to help better.

            TOM

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
            > Thank You,
            > Joanne Liston

          • William
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              On 2/27/2013 2:59 PM, t.salony wrote:

              > Joanne,
              >
              > And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely
              > similar...but they're in Slovenia.
              >
              > Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something
              > that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if
              > online), we might be able to help better.
              >
              > TOM
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "bojomo42" wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that
              > sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
              > > Thank You,
              > > Joanne Liston

              There is a "Studenec" near Valaska Bela. There is also a "Studene" near
              Bratislava.

              Bill Brna

            • davidsadventure4
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                Dear Carl:

                I initially thought the same thing - that it might be Stitnik. It is
                always good to see your posts, especially when Gemer is mentioned.

                Best regards,

                David

                --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
                > > Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

                > > Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and
                > > Hungarian language.
                > >
                > > The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) -
                > > Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.Â

                > > _http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/_
                (http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/)

                > > ________________________________
                > >
                > > From: MGMojher mgmojher@...>

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013

                  How about STEBNIK, near Bardejov?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                    Dear Joanne:

                    If you can provide any additional background information as to where and
                    how you learned about "STUTNICK" and PIESTANY, I think that it may be helpful
                    in the search to locate it.

                    Otherwise, you may find yourself on the proverbial "wild goose chase"
                    looking at villages with similar names. I have been there before myself in my
                    own research, and I found that the additional information helped me to
                    corroborate the evidence and locate the correct village (in my case, the village
                    where my paternal grandmother was born), which was in an area different
                    than what I had originally assumed. I hope that this helps a little.

                    Best regards,

                    David