Re: [S-R] Village ?

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
      There is no listing for Stutnick in the Slovakia listings for places in the 1995 Census. And my Atlas has not such listing. Stukove is the closest Slovak place I have found and that is not listed in my atlas. And it is not any where near Piestany. Rainfall says Stukove is the nearest name close to Stutnick. It seems that you need to find some other name that is appropriate, Stutnick does not work.

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Village ?

      Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
      Thank You,
      Joanne Liston

    • Zuzana Peer
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
        Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and Hungarian language.
        The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) - Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.

        http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
          Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there

          helene

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
            Although Stitnik sounds like a possible match, it is not in western Slovakia. So it doesn't seem to fit. Too bad, because it is one of my ancestral towns.
            CK
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

            > Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there
            >
            > helene

          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              Joanne,

              And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely similar...but they're in Slovenia.

              Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if online), we might be able to help better.

              TOM

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
              > Thank You,
              > Joanne Liston

            • William
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                On 2/27/2013 2:59 PM, t.salony wrote:

                > Joanne,
                >
                > And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely
                > similar...but they're in Slovenia.
                >
                > Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something
                > that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if
                > online), we might be able to help better.
                >
                > TOM
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "bojomo42" wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that
                > sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
                > > Thank You,
                > > Joanne Liston

                There is a "Studenec" near Valaska Bela. There is also a "Studene" near
                Bratislava.

                Bill Brna

              • davidsadventure4
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Dear Carl:

                  I initially thought the same thing - that it might be Stitnik. It is
                  always good to see your posts, especially when Gemer is mentioned.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                  (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
                  > > Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

                  > > Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and
                  > > Hungarian language.
                  > >
                  > > The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) -
                  > > Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.Â

                  > > _http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/_
                  (http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/)

                  > > ________________________________
                  > >
                  > > From: MGMojher mgmojher@...>

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013

                    How about STEBNIK, near Bardejov?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                      Dear Joanne:

                      If you can provide any additional background information as to where and
                      how you learned about "STUTNICK" and PIESTANY, I think that it may be helpful
                      in the search to locate it.

                      Otherwise, you may find yourself on the proverbial "wild goose chase"
                      looking at villages with similar names. I have been there before myself in my
                      own research, and I found that the additional information helped me to
                      corroborate the evidence and locate the correct village (in my case, the village
                      where my paternal grandmother was born), which was in an area different
                      than what I had originally assumed. I hope that this helps a little.

                      Best regards,

                      David