Re: Village ?

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
      The 1869 Hungarian Census is online for Zlatnik and so you can check out the family names.

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28458-5957-49?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CBR:n1263979095

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
      > Thank You,
      > Joanne Liston

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
        There is no listing for Stutnick in the Slovakia listings for places in the 1995 Census. And my Atlas has not such listing. Stukove is the closest Slovak place I have found and that is not listed in my atlas. And it is not any where near Piestany. Rainfall says Stukove is the nearest name close to Stutnick. It seems that you need to find some other name that is appropriate, Stutnick does not work.

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [S-R] Village ?

        Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
        Thank You,
        Joanne Liston

      • Zuzana Peer
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
          Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and Hungarian language.
          The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) - Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.

          http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
            Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there

            helene

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              Although Stitnik sounds like a possible match, it is not in western Slovakia. So it doesn't seem to fit. Too bad, because it is one of my ancestral towns.
              CK
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

              > Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there
              >
              > helene

            • t.salony
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                Joanne,

                And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely similar...but they're in Slovenia.

                Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if online), we might be able to help better.

                TOM

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
                > Thank You,
                > Joanne Liston

              • William
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                  On 2/27/2013 2:59 PM, t.salony wrote:

                  > Joanne,
                  >
                  > And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely
                  > similar...but they're in Slovenia.
                  >
                  > Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something
                  > that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if
                  > online), we might be able to help better.
                  >
                  > TOM
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "bojomo42" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that
                  > sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
                  > > Thank You,
                  > > Joanne Liston

                  There is a "Studenec" near Valaska Bela. There is also a "Studene" near
                  Bratislava.

                  Bill Brna

                • davidsadventure4
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                    Dear Carl:

                    I initially thought the same thing - that it might be Stitnik. It is
                    always good to see your posts, especially when Gemer is mentioned.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                    (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
                    > > Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

                    > > Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and
                    > > Hungarian language.
                    > >
                    > > The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) -
                    > > Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.Â

                    > > _http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/_
                    (http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/)

                    > > ________________________________
                    > >
                    > > From: MGMojher mgmojher@...>

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013

                      How about STEBNIK, near Bardejov?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                        Dear Joanne:

                        If you can provide any additional background information as to where and
                        how you learned about "STUTNICK" and PIESTANY, I think that it may be helpful
                        in the search to locate it.

                        Otherwise, you may find yourself on the proverbial "wild goose chase"
                        looking at villages with similar names. I have been there before myself in my
                        own research, and I found that the additional information helped me to
                        corroborate the evidence and locate the correct village (in my case, the village
                        where my paternal grandmother was born), which was in an area different
                        than what I had originally assumed. I hope that this helps a little.

                        Best regards,

                        David