Village ?

  • bojomo42
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
      Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
      Thank You,
      Joanne Liston
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
        A possibility:

        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
        1773, 1786, 1808, 1863–1898 Zlatnik, 1900–1913 Aranyosd, 1920 Zlatník, 1927– Zlatníky

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
        > Thank You,
        > Joanne Liston

      • John
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
          The 1869 Hungarian Census is online for Zlatnik and so you can check out the family names.

          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28458-5957-49?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CBR:n1263979095

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
          > Thank You,
          > Joanne Liston

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
            There is no listing for Stutnick in the Slovakia listings for places in the 1995 Census. And my Atlas has not such listing. Stukove is the closest Slovak place I have found and that is not listed in my atlas. And it is not any where near Piestany. Rainfall says Stukove is the nearest name close to Stutnick. It seems that you need to find some other name that is appropriate, Stutnick does not work.

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [S-R] Village ?

            Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
            Thank You,
            Joanne Liston

          • Zuzana Peer
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and Hungarian language.
              The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) - Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.

              http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there

                helene

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Although Stitnik sounds like a possible match, it is not in western Slovakia. So it doesn't seem to fit. Too bad, because it is one of my ancestral towns.
                  CK
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                  > Stitnik comes to mind - near Roznava in old Gemer County. I have 3 listings in Slovak Pride of families from there
                  >
                  > helene

                • t.salony
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                    Joanne,

                    And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely similar...but they're in Slovenia.

                    Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if online), we might be able to help better.

                    TOM

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
                    > Thank You,
                    > Joanne Liston

                  • William
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                      On 2/27/2013 2:59 PM, t.salony wrote:

                      > Joanne,
                      >
                      > And I could mention a "Studenec" near "Postona", which sound vaguely
                      > similar...but they're in Slovenia.
                      >
                      > Just maybe, if you share with us where the "...Stutnick, or something
                      > that sounds like that, near Piestany.." can be found(especially if
                      > online), we might be able to help better.
                      >
                      > TOM
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "bojomo42" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone know of a village called Stutnick, or something that
                      > sounds like that, near Piestany in western Slovakia.
                      > > Thank You,
                      > > Joanne Liston

                      There is a "Studenec" near Valaska Bela. There is also a "Studene" near
                      Bratislava.

                      Bill Brna

                    • davidsadventure4
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                        Dear Carl:

                        I initially thought the same thing - that it might be Stitnik. It is
                        always good to see your posts, especially when Gemer is mentioned.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                        (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
                        > > Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

                        > > Here is the list of Slovak villages in Slovak and
                        > > Hungarian language.
                        > >
                        > > The first village is Abelova (LU=Lucenec district) -
                        > > Ábelfalva (Nógrád). It may help.Â

                        > > _http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/_
                        (http://www.geni.sk/nazvy-obci-slovensky-a-madarsky/)

                        > > ________________________________
                        > >
                        > > From: MGMojher mgmojher@...>

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013

                          How about STEBNIK, near Bardejov?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
                            Dear Joanne:

                            If you can provide any additional background information as to where and
                            how you learned about "STUTNICK" and PIESTANY, I think that it may be helpful
                            in the search to locate it.

                            Otherwise, you may find yourself on the proverbial "wild goose chase"
                            looking at villages with similar names. I have been there before myself in my
                            own research, and I found that the additional information helped me to
                            corroborate the evidence and locate the correct village (in my case, the village
                            where my paternal grandmother was born), which was in an area different
                            than what I had originally assumed. I hope that this helps a little.

                            Best regards,

                            David