Re: [S-R] Re: MRAFFKO Latin detail 1775 Bratislava

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
      In the previous listing, he was enobled, but 2 years later his newborn
      Stephanus has 'Rex Hung." added. There is also (? Dom) and the addidtion of
      Expeditorarus.
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22650-11489-70?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ3:n892102475
      Locus is quite different as well. Perhaps he moved around a lot?
      Peter M.

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
        Julie and Curt,
        In case you are not part of Slovak Spot, Martin has identified the original
        'Locus' as follows:
        -------------------------
        On 26 February 2013 14:27, Martin <m.r.votruba@...> wrote:
        Vydrica (originally the name of a stream from the Slovak *vydra*, "otter"),
        *Wedricz *in its old spelling, was a part of old Bratislava just south-west
        of St. Martin's Cathedral. Here it is viewed (grayish roofs) across the
        Danube from the south-east, between the top of the steamer's chimney and
        the castle <http://tinyurl.com/ae2sv5y>, with St. Martin's to the right of
        it. Here it is in the right third
        <http://podhradie.fara.sk/files/001.jpg>of the picture, next to the
        Danube. The green
        arrow <http://tinyurl.com/a3ff8tb> here points to its location before
        it wasrazed in the late 1960s<http://tinyurl.com/bf4pjzv>to make room
        for the new bridge. It had a reputation for being
        *the *place to look for ladies of the night (and day) in Bratislava. Old
        accounts say some would sit on the steps knitting, with their knees
        "exposed," and suggest to passing men that they should come and "knit" with
        them.
        ----------------------------------

        Peter M

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
          Peter,
          The note says he is a lawyer (notarius) in the high chamber of Hungarian Law. He is still living in the same place as before. The space to write the place is so cramped and small so it is written in two lines and spelled with a V and not a W Vedricz.

          > Georgius had a son Joannes. The entry here is a little more specific, but
          > almost all abbreviations.
          > Can you please decode this?
          > Also, the locus looks like In-Ved-Zin
          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22650-8891-83?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ3:n892102475
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter M
          >
          > On 26 February 2013 13:54, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Peter,
          > > He worked for the chancery of the archbishop, not the cathedral as such.
          > > It does not say what position he held within it, a minor clerk or a senior
          > > head.
          > >
          > > Well, yes, he did come to the cathedral to have the child baptized. It is
          > > not unlikely that the cathedral was his parish church now, but not
          > > necessarily since the register lists him as coming from somewhere else.
          > >

          > > Curt B.
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thank you Curt and Julie!
          > > > Is it correct to assume that he worked for the Cathedral? Or more likely
          > > > that he came to the Cathedral with his wife for the baptism?
          > > > Peter M.

          > > law.

          > > places.
          > > given

          > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22655-31886-28?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJM:n1505507877

          > > reference to
          > > other
          > > certain.
          > > Does

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
            Peter,
            The Rex Hung under his son's name means he is named Stephen after St. Stephen, King of Hungary (rather than St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr). Excell. Dom. above his name is his noble title; his excellency lord Mraffko.He is working in law chambers. His place is not necessarily different from other times, it simply says ex Citt. that is, he lives in the city (of Bratislava).

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
              Curt,
              Thank you for clarifying these for me. I am indebted. If you have the
              patience then I have one more.
              His first wife has died. He remarries and has a daughter, his last child
              according to the LDS index of Slovakia.
              (2nd last entry, right side)
              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22657-6186-71?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ7:2111960010
              The description has evolved somewhat. I can pick out certain words, but the
              context and phraseology eludes me.

              FYI: It is important to find out as much as possible about him as this
              newly discovered branch of my ancestors sheds much light on the Galanta
              branch. I believe that the family still exists in France of which I am
              waiting confirmation.

              Peter M.

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                Peter,
                It says lord Mraffko is on the five member board of administrators of legal chambers. His wife, lady Clara, was born (maiden name)
                Ellenbogen. I am unable to read the place name, though it seems the priest is giving house numbers on this page.

                Curt B.

                > Curt,
                > Thank you for clarifying these for me. I am indebted. If you have the
                > patience then I have one more.
                > His first wife has died. He remarries and has a daughter, his last child
                > according to the LDS index of Slovakia.
                > (2nd last entry, right side)
                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22657-6186-71?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ7:2111960010
                > The description has evolved somewhat. I can pick out certain words, but the
                > context and phraseology eludes me.
                >
                > FYI: It is important to find out as much as possible about him as this
                > newly discovered branch of my ancestors sheds much light on the Galanta
                > branch. I believe that the family still exists in France of which I am
                > waiting confirmation.
                >
                > Peter M.
                >
                > On 26 February 2013 16:58, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Peter,
                > > The Rex Hung under his son's name means he is named Stephen after St.
                > > Stephen, King of Hungary (rather than St. Stephen, the first Christian
                > > martyr). Excell. Dom. above his name is his noble title; his excellency
                > > lord Mraffko.He is working in law chambers. His place is not necessarily
                > > different from other times, it simply says ex Citt. that is, he lives in
                > > the city (of Bratislava).
                > >

                > > Curt B.
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech wrote:
                > > >
                > > > In the previous listing, he was enobled, but 2 years later his newborn
                > > > Stephanus has 'Rex Hung." added. There is also (? Dom) and the addidtion
                > > of
                > > > Expeditorarus.
                > > >
                > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22650-11489-70?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ3:n892102475
                > > > Locus is quite different as well. Perhaps he moved around a lot?
                > > > Peter M.

                > > but
                > > > >

                > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22650-8891-83?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJ3:n892102475

                > > such.
                > > senior

                > > It is
                > > else.

                > > likely

                > > Martin

                > > (canon)

                > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22655-31886-28?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZJM:n1505507877

                > > the
                > > location.

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                  ***His wife, lady Clara, was born (maiden name) Ellenbogen.***

                  Lady Clara Elbow? Perhaps she came from Ellenbogen, Bohemia, a fairy tale appearing castle town in the elbow of the river. Today called Locket (elbow) between Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad) and Mariansky Lazne (Marianbad), Czech Republic. Not surprisingly, the town is located in an elbow of the river.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Ron,
                    The surname Ellenbogen is surprisingly widespread throughout Central and Eastern Europe. It is particularly found in Jewish families, though not exclusively so. It is today extensive in the U.S. and Israel. No reason to suppose it is associated with a place. It apparently has multiple origins but is thought to have originated as a craft or occupation of carpenter from the name of the tool.

                    Curt B.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Ron,
                      Could be true, but I think not. After this child, they moved to Budapest
                      and had another girl. Here her name was more correctly written as
                      Ellenberger. Also MRAFFKO was written as MRAVKO. In one record, ELLENBERGER
                      was written as ELEN CARBERIN (Budapest). I think the family moved a lot
                      probably due to the horrendous political situation. His only son, Stephanus
                      (the Rex Hungaria one) turns up in Liptovský Hrádok or Liptovský Mikuláš,
                      also a notary and claimed to be from Budapest.

                      Now back to the debate about literacy and church records!
                      Here we have a very literate individual who most probably spoke German,
                      Latin, Slovak/Czeh as well as Hungarian. The priest/scribe incorrectly
                      records his name phonetically, swapping the FF for a V. A very common
                      occurrance in my ancestry.
                      Georgius probably never saw the entry, or even less likely, he agreed with
                      the change although I can't see a political or social advantage for this.
                      It's a real pity that I can't see the original image as the Hungarians
                      (frustratingly) have restricted the LDS from showing it.

                      To put things in perspective, the MRAFFKO/MRAVKO/ELLENBERGER names appear
                      in other parts of Slovakia.
                      Georgius Mraffko is becoming iconic for my research, much of it
                      circumstantial though. The contemporary Galanta branch of the family were
                      not enobled, though the women (and one man), married into nobility.
                      Evidence exists that a significant portion if not all, worked for the
                      Esterhazy households in one capacity or another, became local
                      administrators, overseers, militia and had strong ties to the church. I'm
                      pretty sure that there was much chest-beating going on up to 1849/50 when
                      it slowly started to unravel.
                      There are so many clues that my head is swimming. Perhaps I can find
                      something in MOL?

                      Peter M.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                        Thanks Curt. It is interesting to hear the broader part of the story. You also cut off a wild goose chase!

                        I can recommend a stop at Locket, Bohemia for anyone in the neighborhood. It is also famous for being the place where Goethe as an old man proposed marriage to the 17 year old granddaughter of an old girlfriend.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                          I have a suspicion that it was Germanicized to Ellenberger.
                          Peter M.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                            Ellenbogen is already German, so it may have been changed, but not Germanized to Ellenberger. That is a small point, but perhaps worth noting.

                            Ron

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                              Peter,
                              Ellenbogen is already 'germanicized'. Berger and bogen are two quite different German words.

                              Curt B.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                                My goof. I shouldn't rely on my memory in the early hours. It is Clara
                                Ellenbergerin (1795 Budapest - no image to confirm the name), Clara
                                Ellenbogen (1789 - Bratislava - St Martina) and finally Elena Carberin
                                (1799 Budapest - no image).
                                I have developed a mistrust of transcribed records and I may be jumping to
                                conclusions.

                                All this new information has happened 'live' over the last 24 hrs, solely
                                based on index searches. I really should be looking at marriage and
                                particularly death records as he (Georgius) could have married 3 times. His
                                first wife was Susanna and I'm reasonably confident that Ellenbogen and
                                Ellenbergerin are the same person. Now, I'm not sure of Elena Carberin, so
                                I may chase that up when I'm in Budapest.

                                Peter M.

                              • helene cincebeaux
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                                  Loket is a simply gorgeous fairy tale castle - i stayed at an inn under the castle and had a ghost experience. If ever you are nearby - dont miss this really wonderful place

                                  helene