Re: [S-R] Need help with a village name

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      >>> Now with the direction you've given me, I've been looking through the FamilySearch on line records trying to find the church records but after I choose "Roman Catholic" I don't know which choices to make next. <<<

      Dvorak Gazetteer http://www.radixhub.com/radixhub/gazetteers/1877/trencsen.htm
      says RC records are under Varna (old name).

      Old LDS catalogue shows: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Varín, Slovakia; formerly Varin-Várna, Trencsén, Hungary.

      On new web site, path is RC / Zilina / Varin
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-CM6%3A1836921250%3Fcc%3D1554443
    • Judy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Thanks so much John.

        But now that I've searched the birth records for RC / Zilina / Varin for 1885-1892 (I have birthdates of 19 Aug 1888 on Naturalization and 25 Oct 1888 on WW II Draft card) I don't find him. Waiting on the U.S. church records that I hope will have a location of birth/origin.