Re: [S-R] Need help with a village name

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Thanks Curt, John and Michael for your thoughts. The Trencin locaton looks like a great possibility.

      Now with the direction you've given me, I've been looking through the FamilySearch on line records trying to find the church records but after I choose "Roman Catholic" I don't know which choices to make next. I tried the Trencin and Zelina records but I don't find Nedecz after that. Using FHC place search for "Nedecz" in Slovakia doesn't give me any help.

      Michael, I see how you found the Micahel Novaks from Nedecz, but actually the passenger lists I think are his are not any of those. On the passenger list that is refered to in the naturalization papers the handwriting of first letter of his last name does not look like an "N" unless you already know that is is, so heaven know what it was interpreted to be.

      If I can get to the church records and find him with the date of birth I have then I'll know I have the right place.

      Thank you all for your help.
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

      > Judy,
      > Here is a possibility-
      > Nededza ZA/ZI trenč.
      > 1773 Nedecza, Nedeca, 1786 Nedecza, 1808 Nedecza, Nědeca, 1863â€"1902 Nedec, 1907â€"1913 Vágnedec, 1920â€" Nededza
      >
      > Nedec was used during the time period on the documents. It was in the Hungarian county of Trencin.
      >
      > Nedecz listings for Ellis Island:
      >
      > 127 Novak, Mihaly Nedecz 18 1881 1899 view view view view
      > 128 Novak, Mihaly Nedecz 49 1850 1899 view view view view
      > 129 Novak, Mihaly Nedecz 19 1880 1899 view view view view
      > 130 Novak, Vojtek Nedecz 44 1857 1901 view view view view v
      > 131 Nowak, Mihaly Nedecz, Hungary 20 1894 1914

    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        >>> Now with the direction you've given me, I've been looking through the FamilySearch on line records trying to find the church records but after I choose "Roman Catholic" I don't know which choices to make next. <<<

        Dvorak Gazetteer http://www.radixhub.com/radixhub/gazetteers/1877/trencsen.htm
        says RC records are under Varna (old name).

        Old LDS catalogue shows: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Varín, Slovakia; formerly Varin-Várna, Trencsén, Hungary.

        On new web site, path is RC / Zilina / Varin
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-CM6%3A1836921250%3Fcc%3D1554443
      • Judy
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          Thanks so much John.

          But now that I've searched the birth records for RC / Zilina / Varin for 1885-1892 (I have birthdates of 19 Aug 1888 on Naturalization and 25 Oct 1888 on WW II Draft card) I don't find him. Waiting on the U.S. church records that I hope will have a location of birth/origin.