Re: Where to request official copy of baptismal record?

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
      To 1895, GC church records for Puste Cemerne are avialble online. Any "official copy" would simply be a rewrite or transcription.
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-76K%3A786159880%3Fcc%3D1554443

      Happy squinting.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "loqipei" <loqipei@...> wrote:

      > Would like to find out how to go about obtaining official copy of baptismal record. The church is St. Nicholas (Greek Catholic) in Puste-Cemerne near Leszna, Lesna in Michalovce, Slovakia, (then Nagy Mihaly, Hungary) Zemplen county Slovakia from 1908. Were records sent to a Hungarian archive or a Slovakian one? And, is there a main Greek Catholic church center/eparchy where records were sent?
      >
      > Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thank you for your help!
      >
      > Parichat

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
        It is wonderful to share Karel Plicka's magnificent photos but please identify the photographer - he was the best and spent a good part of his life traveling the Slovakia he loved and recording the people, their dress and their way of life (he was a Czech but like famed painter Jan Hala fell in love with Slovakia - it happens to so many of us!)

        There is a small museum devoted to Plicka and his magnificent work south of Martin.

        helene
      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
          PUSTÉ ČEMERNÉ Exc. Strážske 072 22 Strážske

          This is what the Greek Catholic Archbisopric of Kosice had listed. Parish, telephone number (none), Priest (it appears to be affiliate with the town of Strazske), Rectory Address(Zip Code, and street address).
          STRÁŽSKE 056/6491585 Ladislav Praščák 072 22 ST, Mierová 40
          Jaroslav Girovský 072 22 ST, Mierová 40

          This in the information for Strazske.

          Since Puste Cemerne has a population of some 325 it would be an affiliated parish. The Protoprebyter of Michalovce would be the closest to Puste Cemerne. They do have an e-mail address. They may be able to provide you with a hard copy of the baptismal certificate. Or at least let you know where you can get one.
          MICHALOVCE Protopresbyter: o. ThLic. František Puci
          Adresa: Hollého 4, 071 01 Michalovce
          Kontakt: 056/6883431-2
          Email: michalovce.grkat@...
          Web: N/A

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
            helene,

            What am I missing here?

            TOM

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

            > It is wonderful to share Karel Plicka's magnificent photos but please identify the photographer - he was the best and spent a good part of his life traveling the Slovakia he loved and recording the people, their dress and their way of life (he was a Czech but like famed painter Jan Hala fell in love with Slovakia - it happens to so many of us!)
            >
            > There is a small museum devoted to Plicka and his magnificent work south of Martin.
            >
            > helene

          • Erin Valdes
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
              I think she's referring to the photos that were recently added to the "old pictures of Slovakia" folder on the group page.

              Erin

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Feb 21, 2013, at 9:00 AM, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

              > helene,
              >
              > What am I missing here?
              >
              > TOM
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux wrote:
              > >
              > > It is wonderful to share Karel Plicka's magnificent photos but please identify the photographer - he was the best and spent a good part of his life traveling the Slovakia he loved and recording the people, their dress and their way of life (he was a Czech but like famed painter Jan Hala fell in love with Slovakia - it happens to so many of us!)
              > >
              > > There is a small museum devoted to Plicka and his magnificent work south of Martin.
              > >
              > > helene

            • Patricia Ehret
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                Thank you so much for the information!  You are VERY helpful!!!! :):)

                Parichat

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                  Dear John,

                  Thank you so much for your quick response.  I had however already looked at the site you mentioned but the baptismal records for
                  1908 are not among them.  Someone else gave me the email for the Protopresbyter....something or other which I gather is the head parish? for Puste-Cemerne so hopefully they can help me.

                  Regarding the website link you mentioned . . . . do you know whether the years not included are available and just not indexed yet or
                  are not available at all?

                  Again, thank you.

                  Parichat

                  ________________________________

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "loqipei" wrote:

                  > Would like to find out how to go about obtaining official copy of baptismal record. The church is St. Nicholas (Greek Catholic) in Puste-Cemerne near Leszna, Lesna in Michalovce, Slovakia, (then Nagy Mihaly, Hungary) Zemplen county Slovakia from 1908. Were records sent to a Hungarian archive or a Slovakian one? And, is there a main Greek Catholic church center/eparchy where records were sent?
                  >
                  > Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thank you for your help!
                  >
                  > Parichat

                • Peter Nagy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                    Parichat,

                    Do you need a an official copy of
                    (i) baptismal record (for church purposes), or a copy of
                    (ii) birth record (for civil and state citizenship purposes)?

                    Peter

                    Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                    > Dear John,
                    >
                    > Thank you so much for your quick response. I had however already
                    > looked at the site you mentioned but the baptismal records for
                    > 1908 are not among them. Someone else gave me the email for the
                    > Protopresbyter....something or other which I gather is the head
                    > parish? for Puste-Cemerne so hopefully they can help me.
                    >
                    > Regarding the website link you mentioned . . . . do you know whether
                    > the years not included are available and just not indexed yet or
                    > are not available at all?
                    >
                    > Again, thank you.
                    >
                    > Parichat
                  • Patricia Ehret
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                      Very good question!  I need a copy of birth record for civil & state citizenship purposes which must be official.

                      Thanks,

                      Parichat

                      ________________________________
                      (i) baptismal record (for church purposes), or a copy of
                      (ii) birth record (for civil and state citizenship purposes)?

                      Peter

                      Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                      > Dear John,
                      >
                      > Thank you so much for your quick response. I had however already
                      > looked at the site you mentioned but the baptismal records for
                      > 1908 are not among them. Someone else gave me the email for the
                      > Protopresbyter....something or other which I gather is the head
                      > parish? for Puste-Cemerne so hopefully they can help me.
                      >
                      > Regarding the website link you mentioned . . . . do you know whether
                      > the years not included are available and just not indexed yet or
                      > are not available at all?
                      >
                      > Again, thank you.
                      >
                      > Parichat

                    • Peter Nagy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Parichat,

                        Do you know the date and birth place?
                        The state vital records after 1906 are kept by the registry offices (in
                        Slovak Matričný úrad). In order to give you the relevant registry
                        office, I need to know the birth place and date, because the registry
                        districts (matričný obvod) changed from time to time.

                        Peter

                        Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                        > Very good question! I need a copy of birth record for civil & state
                        > citizenship purposes which must be official.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Parichat
                      • davidsadventure4
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                          Dear Patricia:

                          Are you any relation to a Howie Ehret that grew up on the west side of
                          Cleveland, Ohio? He was a friend of mine when I was very young, but he moved
                          away sometime when I was in grade school.

                          Best regards,

                          David

                        • Patricia Ehret
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                            Dear Peter,

                            Birthplace and date:  Leszna, Michalovce (NagyMihaly in Hungarian) Zemplen Co., Hungary now Lesne or Lesna, Michalovce, Zemplin Co., Slovakia.  Date:  November 6th, 1908.  Baptism November 8th, 1908 at St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church in Puste-Cemerne, Michalovce, Zemplen Co.  Baptismal certificate says Eparchy was Michalovce bottom has a Uzhorogod stamp which is now part of Ukraine.

                            Thanks so much for your trouble!

                            Patricia

                            ________________________________
                            The state vital records after 1906 are kept by the registry offices (in
                            Slovak Matričný úrad). In order to give you the relevant registry
                            office, I need to know the birth place and date, because the registry
                            districts (matričný obvod) changed from time to time.

                            Peter

                            Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                            > Very good question! I need a copy of birth record for civil & state
                            > citizenship purposes which must be official.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Parichat

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                              Thanks Erin -

                              helene

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 21, 2013
                                Patricia,

                                The seat of Registry office for Lesne is Nacina Ves
                                http://www.nacinaves.sk/-contact

                                Peter

                                Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                                > Dear Peter,
                                >
                                > Birthplace and date: Leszna, Michalovce (NagyMihaly in Hungarian)
                                > Zemplen Co., Hungary now Lesne or Lesna, Michalovce, Zemplin Co.,
                                > Slovakia. Date: November 6th, 1908. Baptism November 8th, 1908 at
                                > St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church in Puste-Cemerne, Michalovce,
                                > Zemplen Co. Baptismal certificate says Eparchy was Michalovce bottom
                                > has a Uzhorogod stamp which is now part of Ukraine.
                                >
                                > Thanks so much for your trouble!
                                >
                                > Patricia
                              • Zuzana Peer
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 22, 2013
                                  Hi everybody,
                                  I'm new member here. I'm Slovak living in TN (new US citizen) and I love History and Genealogy. Just finished my Genealogy in Trencin area.
                                  I have to tell you guys: you are doing fantastic job! I'm amazed how many information about Slovakia you have and were able to find and how good are you in reading and understanding old Slovak/Hungarian record. You have to dill with 3 languages-Slovak, Latin and Hungarian. You even were able to recognize Karol Plickas' pictures (I have more of them). Great !
                                  Please, let me know if I can help somehow.
                                  Zuzana (Susanna in Latin)

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 22, 2013
                                    >>> I love History and Genealogy. Just finished my Genealogy in Trencin area.<<<

                                    Zuzana, you are NEVER finished your genealogy!
                                  • Patricia Ehret
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 23, 2013
                                      Thank you Peter!  I appreciate your help!

                                      Patricia Ehret

                                      ________________________________
                                      The seat of Registry office for Lesne is Nacina Ves
                                      http://www.nacinaves.sk/-contact

                                      Peter

                                      Patricia Ehret wrote / napísal(a):
                                      > Dear Peter,
                                      >
                                      > Birthplace and date: Leszna, Michalovce (NagyMihaly in Hungarian)
                                      > Zemplen Co., Hungary now Lesne or Lesna, Michalovce, Zemplin Co.,
                                      > Slovakia. Date: November 6th, 1908. Baptism November 8th, 1908 at
                                      > St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church in Puste-Cemerne, Michalovce,
                                      > Zemplen Co. Baptismal certificate says Eparchy was Michalovce bottom
                                      > has a Uzhorogod stamp which is now part of Ukraine.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks so much for your trouble!
                                      >
                                      > Patricia

                                    • Patricia Ehret
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 23, 2013
                                        My husband possible is a distant relation but his Ehret family moved west 100 years ago.
                                        So, sorry no connection but the funny thing is that my father-in-laws name is Howell.

                                        Patricia Ehret

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 23, 2013
                                          Thank you John!

                                          Patricia Ehret

                                          After 1895, official records were and are in the civic records office.