Re: [S-R] SLOVAK SURNAMES, TOP 10

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013

      These are all surnames found in my ancestral village.  It was once part of Hungary, but all my ancestors claim Slovak nationality.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
        Absolutely, Hungarians adopted the word and changed it so that it fit the Hungarian language. But if you were Croatian, would you adopt a surname that meant your nationality? It's more likely that you'd get that surname if you lived in another country.

        This is what Wikipedia says about Horvath:

        "Horvath is a common Hungarian surname, originating from Croatia. It is an older version of the noun "Hrvat" which is the Croatian-language name for [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croats%5d a Croat, (Hungarian: Horvát). The initial holders of this surname most likely were ethnic Croats living or working in Hungary."

        Most of the other names are Hungarian words for jobs (Molnar is miller, for example) or traits (Balogh means lefthanded). Whether the holders of those names are or were Hungarian is a slightly different question.

        I grew up thinking that my family was Hungarian, as both my parents were from Hungary and Hungarian was their native language. Now that I have been seeing more Slovak names, the difference is obvious, as Slovak tends to be much more Slavic in nature. On the other hand, I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong.

        Sue

        I would proceed with caution with a statement like that, and follow through with research. The Croatians refer to themselves as
        Hrvati and they come from Hrvatska or Croatia.

        It seems likely the Hungarians adapted the word rather than the other way around.

        An interesting place to look around are the pages published by Dr. Martin Votruba, and while these don't address the specific question of the top ten names, they give some interesting background. I have to run off to jury duty so have no more time at the moment to search, but wonder what Bill Tarkulich's iasb pages may hold...

        [http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html%5d http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html for history

        [http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html%5d http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html
        Slovak, Slavic, Slavonic... What's the difference?

        [http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklastnamesdiminutives.html%5d http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklastnamesdiminutives.html
        Last names in -ík

        [http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklastnamesfromfirstnames.html%5d http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklastnamesfromfirstnames.html

        --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" wrote:

        > These names are all Hungarian in origin.
        >
        > Sue

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
          a.. ^ "Najčastejšie priezviská na Slovensku (Most common family names in Slovakia)". Geni.sk. Retrieved 17 August 2012.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            Anecdotally in my extended family, Horvath meant Southern Slav and Toth
            means Upper Slav. The frequency of the names suggest that Horvath in
            particular can't just come from Croatia, but encompasses a larger
            demographic throughout old Hungary.

            Peter M.

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2013
              This topic has been picked up and carried much further on Slovak Spot at
              https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/slovak-spot/4qs9oQmCWUc

              which is a "must read" for anyone wishing to follow this topic. The coverage of the topic on this Forum has followed what I would classify as more "opinion" and "observation" than scholarly research, so I certainly do recommend you look to _Slovak Spot_ on Google Groups for a continuation of the topic.

              Ron