Re: [S-R] Kokinda/Kokindo Genealogy

  • rkokinda
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 16, 2013
      Also have been trying to find Lipova 1869 census as grandfather John
      Kokinda and grandmother Anna Chura (Csura)
      immigrated from Lipova. The snag I ran into on the Family Search records was
      that what is listed as Lipova in their
      records is actually Lipovec , not the Lipova in the vicinity of Sasova and
      Ortutova. Don’t know if Lipova just was
      over looked in LDS records or the census doesn’t exist.
      Bob
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 16, 2013
        Below is the 1995 Census listings for Kokinda. There were 95 listings in 31 locations. Below are the top 10 locations. As you see the top five are in the okres/district of Bardejov. Okres Svidnik borders Bardejov and okres Vranov nad Topl’ou is to the south.

        Priezvisko KOKINDA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 95×, celkový počet lokalít: 31, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 13×;
        BARDEJOVSKÁ NOVÁ VES (obec BARDEJOV), okr. BARDEJOV – 7×;
        ORTUŤOVÁ, okr. BARDEJOV – 7×;
        LIPOVÁ, okr. BARDEJOV – 6×;
        SVINICA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 6×;
        SÍDLISKO ŤAHANOVCE (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 5×;
        LOMNÉ, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 4×;
        REMENINY, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 4×;
        STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 4×;
        BANSKÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 3×;
        The Hospodar surname had 163 listings in 34 locations. It would be nice if there was a match in its top 10 locations with the Kokinda locations. There are several okres that are near okres Bardejov. Orkers Svidnik and Presov are neighboring orkes. Michalovce and Trebisov orkers are to the south. The Kokinda and Hospodar families are from eastern Slovakia.

        Priezvisko HOSPODÁR sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 163×, celkový počet lokalít: 34, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 59×;
        TREBIŠOV, okr. TREBIŠOV – 10×;
        ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 10×;
        LOMNÉ, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 7×;
        NITRIANSKA STREDA, okr. TOPOĽČANY – 6×;
        STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 6×;
        PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
        SVIDNÍK, okr. SVIDNÍK – 5×;
        KALUŽA, okr. MICHALOVCE – 4×;
        SENICA, okr. SENICA – 4×;

        The Sevcik surname had 58 listings in 33 places. It does share a city with Kokinda, Bardejov. Should you have no idea where to start your search, this at least has a possibility. Sevcik is found in four cities in orkes Bardejov in the list of the top 10 locations.

        Priezvisko ŠEVČIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 58×, celkový počet lokalít: 33, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        GERLACHOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 8×;
        ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 4×;
        ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 3×;
        BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 3×;
        JURKOVÁ VOĽA, okr. SVIDNÍK – 3×;
        SNEŽNICA, okr. ČADCA (od r. 1996 KYSUCKÉ NOVÉ MESTO) – 3×;
        ŠIATORSKÁ BUKOVINKA, okr. LUČENEC – 2×;
        CIGEĽKA, okr. BARDEJOV – 2×;
        GELNICA, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) – 2×;
        LUKOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 2×;

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 16, 2013
          >>> I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of Remeniny <<<

          For reasons which are totally obscure, the 1869 Census is ONLY available on film at LDS:
          Rátka -- Remenye (Remeniny) -- Repejő (Repejov) Film #722771
        • John
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 16, 2013
            >>> I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for . . . Lipova (Bardejov district). <<<

            This one is apparently missing on LDS index.

            OLD NAMES of the village(town):
            1773 Lippova, 1786 Lippowa, 1808 Lipová, 1863–1902 Lipova, 1907–1913 Tapolylippó, 1920– Lipová
          • Zuzana
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 18, 2013
              Hello,
              I found birth record of Michael KOKINDA, born Aug.17,1858 (baptized Aug.18) in willage Remeniny (Remenye in Hungarian),Giraltovce county, Vranov nad Toplou district, eastern Slovakia. Parents: Michael Kokinda and Maria Simak, both Greek catholic, farmers (coloni in Latin.
              If you want this record, I need your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
              Zuzana

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rkokinda" <rkokinda@...> wrote:

              > Also have been trying to find Lipova 1869 census as grandfather John
              > Kokinda and grandmother Anna Chura (Csura)
              > immigrated from Lipova. The snag I ran into on the Family Search records was
              > that what is listed as Lipova in their
              > records is actually Lipovec , not the Lipova in the vicinity of Sasova and
              > Ortutova. Don’t know if Lipova just was
              > over looked in LDS records or the census doesn’t exist.
              > Bob

            • jackie johnson
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 18, 2013
                Hello Zuzana, The names you mentioned are not familiar to me, but I appreciate your sending them. I will be on the lookout for the KOKINDA name tho. Thank you, Jackie

                ________________________________

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "rkokinda" wrote:

                > Also have been trying to find Lipova 1869 census as grandfather John
                > Kokinda and grandmother Anna Chura (Csura)
                > immigrated from Lipova. The snag I ran into on the Family Search records was
                > that what is listed as Lipova in their
                > records is actually Lipovec , not the Lipova in the vicinity of Sasova and
                > Ortutova. Don’t know if Lipova just was
                > over looked in LDS records or the census doesn’t exist.
                > Bob

              • kokonutoad
                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2013
                  I was about to link to the Ortutova-Lipova-Sasova website, but it seems that the account has been suspened, which is unfortunate. I synthesized the Kokinda information from there on my website www.kokindagen.org
                  If you scroll down through the updates, you'll see a link to a PDF of Kokinda immigrants from Lipova. Perhaps this will help you some.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rkokinda" <rkokinda@...> wrote:

                  > Also have been trying to find Lipova 1869 census as grandfather John
                  > Kokinda and grandmother Anna Chura (Csura)
                  > immigrated from Lipova. The snag I ran into on the Family Search records was
                  > that what is listed as Lipova in their
                  > records is actually Lipovec , not the Lipova in the vicinity of Sasova and
                  > Ortutova. Don’t know if Lipova just was
                  > over looked in LDS records or the census doesn’t exist.
                  > Bob

                • kokonutoad
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 8, 2013
                    Hello! Can you send me the document? crkokinda@...

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Zuzana" <zuzana177@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I found birth record of Michael KOKINDA, born Aug.17,1858 (baptized Aug.18) in willage Remeniny (Remenye in Hungarian),Giraltovce county, Vranov nad Toplou district, eastern Slovakia. Parents: Michael Kokinda and Maria Simak, both Greek catholic, farmers (coloni in Latin.
                    > If you want this record, I need your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
                    > Zuzana
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rkokinda" <rkokinda@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Also have been trying to find Lipova 1869 census as grandfather John
                    > > Kokinda and grandmother Anna Chura (Csura)
                    > > immigrated from Lipova. The snag I ran into on the Family Search records was
                    > > that what is listed as Lipova in their
                    > > records is actually Lipovec , not the Lipova in the vicinity of Sasova and
                    > > Ortutova. Don’t know if Lipova just was
                    > > over looked in LDS records or the census doesn’t exist.
                    > > Bob

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                      >>> Hello! Can you send me the document? <<<

                      It is online at:
                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11007-144140-26?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WS8:n1895179743

                      Page 8/528.
                    • patskanovo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19 1:28 PM
                        I don't know how I missed this one and I hope it is not too late....I have Kokinda's in my maternal line from Remeniny...

                        Dennis

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19 2:29 PM
                          Remeniny Church Record -
                          Slovakia, Vranov nad Topľou, Remeniny - Church records ( 1 )
                          1.. Cirkevná matrika, 1826-1942 Author: Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Remeniny (Giraltovce); Odbor Archívnictva Mv Sr; Štátny oblastný archív v Prešove

                          2.. http://www.cisarik.com/0_Remeniny_Vranov_nad_Toplou_PV_Saros_Saris.html webpage on Remeniny. Look through the surname list.
                          A history on Lipova, there are two Lipova in Slovakia, one in the Nitra region and one in the Presov region. Remeniny is closest to the Presov Lipova.
                          Slovakia, Nové Zámky, Lipová - History ( 1 )
                          1.. Lipová : 850 rokov, od prvej písomnej zmienky (1156-2006) /
                          Lipova 850 years since the first written record (1156-2006)

                          2.. Author: Cucor, Ján

                          3.. http://www.cisarik.com/0_Lipova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html webpage on Lipova. Look through the surname list.
                          http://www.cisarik.com/0_Sasova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html – Sasova
                          http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ortutova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html –Ortutova
                          All four of your villages are relatively close to one another.
                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28477-18151-3?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HVR:1611162656 This is the 1869 records for Giraltovce. Above Remeniny seems to have been an associated village of the Giraltovce Greek Catholic parish. It is worth a try.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21 9:34 AM
                              "More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of
                              REMENINY and Lipova (Bardejov district). Were they not part of the Census?"

                              The 1869 census for Remeniny remains in the Hungarian Archives located in "Sátoraljaújhely" (capital city of former Zemplen county - few kilometers from Slovak border)

                              Why they are not in Slovakia,I do not know....

                              I have a cousin with the complete census for Remeniny and Matiaska if you need a look up?

                              Dennis

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kokonutoad" <crkokinda@...> wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              > I am an amateur genealogist, researching my family tree. This is as far back as I have gotten:
                              >
                              > George (possib. Joseph as middle name) Kokinda
                              > Born: May 1863, Austro-Hungary (he spoke Slovak)
                              > Died: 1/1/1913, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
                              > Immigrated: 1885
                              > Parents: John Kokinda, and Helen "Nellie" Hospod�r.
                              >
                              > Wife: Anna Sevcik (Seftchick)
                              > Born: December 1862, Austro-Hungary (she spoke Slovak)
                              > Died: 10/6/1918, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
                              > Immigrated: 1885
                              > Parents: Unknown.
                              >
                              > I do know that the Kokindas who settled in Beaver Meadows,PA/Hazleton,PA/Ohio ALL came from Lipova/Sasova/Ortutova, however I haven't found anything to indicated that my specific branch came from there.
                              >
                              > In addition, I am also seeking information on a Michael Kokinda who was born 8/15/1859 in Remeniny, Slovakia. He immmigrated in 1886, and changed his last name to Cokinda. He married a Scottish woman named Margaret Fraser.
                              >
                              > More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of Remeniny and Lipova (Bardejov district). Were they not part of the Census?

                            • Paul Sabol
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 21 10:17 AM
                                Is there an online record of all the villages that were disbanded as a result of operation Vistula?<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                              • htcstech
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 21 11:22 AM
                                  These are the localities. Sourced from Wikipedia

                                  Polesie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesie>
                                  Roztocze <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roztocze>
                                  Pogórze Przemyskie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pog%C3%B3rze_Przemyskie>
                                  Bieszczady <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bieszczady>
                                  Low Beskid <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Beskid>
                                  Beskid Sądecki<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Beskid_S%C4%85decki&action=edit&redlink=1>
                                  Ruś Szlachtowska <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru%C5%9B_Szlachtowska>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 21 2:12 PM
                                    >>> "More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of REMENINY and Lipova (Bardejov district). <<<

                                    LDS has the films.

                                    Rátka -- Remenye (Remeniny) -- Repejő (Repejov) Film #722771

                                    Lipova (Lipovcec) Film #2189250 Item 3
                                    Online at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28478-16208-0?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CC6:n560851000