Records dilemma!

  • jenandrasko
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I have a bit of a dilemma. I am researching my Great-Grandmother's ancestors in Kal'ava, Gelnica, Slovakia. Unfortunately, the records go from 1722-1750 and 1820-1911. According to a letter in the front of the 1820 records written half in slovak, half in hungarian, the 1751-1819 records have been destroyed in a fire.

      I have gone to all the neighboring towns and looked through everything to try to find births, deaths, marriages. I've only unearthed a handful of marriages.

      I have also looked at the 1869 census for Kal'ava and all neighboring villages.

      Anyone have any other suggestions??! I heard of something called the bishops duplicates or "Druhopisy". Has anyone had any luck locating them for their towns?

      Thank you,
      Jen
    • davidsadventure4
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
        Dear Jen:

        Hello! What are the surnames that you are researching in KALAVA? My
        great, great grandmother THERESA ONDERCIN (also spelled ONDERCSIN and
        ONDERTSIN) was from the village of KALAVA. She was the daughter of JACOB ONDERCIN
        and MARIA KOVALCIK (also spelled KOVALCSIK and KOVALTSIK). With our
        ancestors in the same small village, I believe that there is a good possibility
        that we may have a family connection somewhere down the line.

        Below are the surnames in my direct lineage. Please feel free to write me
        directly at _David1Law@..._ (mailto:David1Law@...) (the "1" is a
        "one"). I look forward to hearing from you.

        Best regards,

        David

        Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
        DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
        SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
        DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames:
        BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY,
        HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS,
        ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also
        KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA,
        and KROSNO, POLAND.

        In a message dated 2/16/2013 9:56:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
          >>> I heard of something called the bishops duplicates or "Druhopisy". Has anyone had any luck locating them for their towns? <<<

          Often in the archive with the base copy but not always. For Senne, Ung Megye, RC, they are in Satu Mare, Romania.

          20 missing years of Dubravka, Zemplen Megye, GC records are in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary.