Polish genealogical sources

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
      For those interested in Polish genealogy or work in the Slovak Spis villages in Southern Poland there is good news. The Polish State Archives has announced that they are going to put both historical church and many other civil records online so they can be perused by users internationally and without charge. They will not be indexed by personal name (at least initially) but locatable by place name and group, quite similar to how we first examined Slovak church records inthe family history library..

      The first group will go online in March of this year, the second group in June, and then more to follow.

      Here is the statement of the archives, and though in Polish you can paste it into a translator like google and get a fair translation.
      Click on the upper left note that says Plany Publikacji...etc . Plan of publication...

      http://nac.gov.pl/

      or you may just want to go to the list of villages which will go online in March. The citation is in the middle of the document mentioned above but you can get to it directly. The name of the village is in the far right column.

      http://nac.gov.pl/files/D%27ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf

      Curt B.
    • davidsadventure4
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
        Dear Kurt:

        Thank you for sharing about what appears to be an awesome and excellent
        resource for those of us who also have ancestors in Southern Poland. For
        those, like myself, who do not speak Polish fluently, I would highly recommend
        using GOOGLE.COM as your browser when you input the main page at
        _http://nac.gov.pl/_ (http://nac.gov.pl/) because GOOGLE.COM can translate the page
        for you into English. I am just starting to look through the site, and I
        hope and pray that church records from around the KROSNO area of POLAND are
        there. Now, if I can only find someone who knows military history and can
        determine the type of uniform that my great grandfather FRANTISCEK MOSKAL
        wore in World War I, I would be very happy.

        Thank you again, Kurt! Dobry den!

        Best regards,

        David

        In a message dated 2/15/2013 2:24:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        curt67boc@... writes:

[...]

        (http://nac.gov.pl/files/D'ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf)

        Curt B.

      • Allison W
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
          If you google world war I uniform images you may see what you are looking for, otherwise there are some museums that may be able to answer your question.

          Sent from Allison Weick
          weickof4@...

          On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:51 PM, david1law@... wrote:

          > Dear Kurt:
          >
          > Thank you for sharing about what appears to be an awesome and excellent
          > resource for those of us who also have ancestors in Southern Poland. For
          > those, like myself, who do not speak Polish fluently, I would highly recommend
          > using GOOGLE.COM as your browser when you input the main page at
          > _http://nac.gov.pl/_ (http://nac.gov.pl/) because GOOGLE.COM can translate the page
          > for you into English. I am just starting to look through the site, and I
          > hope and pray that church records from around the KROSNO area of POLAND are
          > there. Now, if I can only find someone who knows military history and can
          > determine the type of uniform that my great grandfather FRANTISCEK MOSKAL
          > wore in World War I, I would be very happy.
          >
          > Thank you again, Kurt! Dobry den!
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > David
          >
          > In a message dated 2/15/2013 2:24:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > curt67boc@... writes:
          >
          > For those interested in Polish genealogy or work in the Slovak Spis
          > villages in Southern Poland there is good news. The Polish State Archives has
          > announced that they are going to put both historical church and many other
          > civil records online so they can be perused by users internationally and
          > without charge. They will not be indexed by personal name (at least initially)
          > but locatable by place name and group, quite similar to how we first examined
          > Slovak church records inthe family history library..
          >
          > The first group will go online in March of this year, the second group in
          > June, and then more to follow.
          >
          > Here is the statement of the archives, and though in Polish you can paste
          > it into a translator like google and get a fair translation.
          > Click on the upper left note that says Plany Publikacji...etc . Plan of
          > publication...
          >
          > _http://nac.gov.pl/_ (http://nac.gov.pl/)
          >
          > or you may just want to go to the list of villages which will go online in
          > March. The citation is in the middle of the document mentioned above but
          > you can get to it directly. The name of the village is in the far right
          > column.
          >
          > _http://nac.gov.pl/files/D%27ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf_
          > (http://nac.gov.pl/files/D'ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf)
          >
          > Curt B.

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
            There is also the AustroHungarian Army page at

            http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/

            You can look at the bottom of the page and find a link to their discussion forum. I have signed on before and they were very helpful at identifying a uniform and answering other questions.

            Ron
            sent from my telegraph
            (to steal a neat joke!)

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Allison W <weickof4@...> wrote:

            > If you google world war I uniform images you may see what you are looking for, otherwise there are some museums that may be able to answer your question.
            >
            > Sent from Allison Weick
            > weickof4@...
            >
            > On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:51 PM, david1law@... wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Kurt:
            > >
            > > Thank you for sharing about what appears to be an awesome and excellent
            > > resource for those of us who also have ancestors in Southern Poland. For
            > > those, like myself, who do not speak Polish fluently, I would highly recommend
            > > using GOOGLE.COM as your browser when you input the main page at
            > > _http://nac.gov.pl/_ (http://nac.gov.pl/) because GOOGLE.COM can translate the page
            > > for you into English. I am just starting to look through the site, and I
            > > hope and pray that church records from around the KROSNO area of POLAND are
            > > there. Now, if I can only find someone who knows military history and can
            > > determine the type of uniform that my great grandfather FRANTISCEK MOSKAL
            > > wore in World War I, I would be very happy.
            > >
            > > Thank you again, Kurt! Dobry den!
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > >
            > > David
            > >
            > > In a message dated 2/15/2013 2:24:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > > curt67boc@... writes:
            > >
            > > For those interested in Polish genealogy or work in the Slovak Spis
            > > villages in Southern Poland there is good news. The Polish State Archives has
            > > announced that they are going to put both historical church and many other
            > > civil records online so they can be perused by users internationally and
            > > without charge. They will not be indexed by personal name (at least initially)
            > > but locatable by place name and group, quite similar to how we first examined
            > > Slovak church records inthe family history library..
            > >
            > > The first group will go online in March of this year, the second group in
            > > June, and then more to follow.
            > >
            > > Here is the statement of the archives, and though in Polish you can paste
            > > it into a translator like google and get a fair translation.
            > > Click on the upper left note that says Plany Publikacji...etc . Plan of
            > > publication...
            > >
            > > _http://nac.gov.pl/_ (http://nac.gov.pl/)
            > >
            > > or you may just want to go to the list of villages which will go online in
            > > March. The citation is in the middle of the document mentioned above but
            > > you can get to it directly. The name of the village is in the far right
            > > column.
            > >
            > > _http://nac.gov.pl/files/D%27ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf_
            > > (http://nac.gov.pl/files/D'ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf)
            > >
            > > Curt B.

          • davidsadventure4
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
              Dear Allison and Ron:

              Thank you both for your tips. I will try them.

              I hope that you have a great day. May God bless and smile upon each of
              you.

              Best regards,

              David

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
              , Allison W wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > The first group will go online in March of this year, the second group
              in
              > > June, and then more to follow.
              > >
              > > Here is the statement of the archives, and though in Polish you can
              paste
              > > it into a translator like google and get a fair translation.
              > > Click on the upper left note that says Plany Publikacji...etc . Plan
              of
              > > publication...
              > >
              > > __http://nac.gov.pl/__ (http://nac.gov.pl/_) (_http://nac.gov.pl/_
              (http://nac.gov.pl/) )

              > > or you may just want to go to the list of villages which will go
              online in
              > > March. The citation is in the middle of the document mentioned above
              but
              > > you can get to it directly. The name of the village is in the far

              'ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf)

              > > Curt B.

            • Gina
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
                Rather than using Google or another translator to help, you can just click
                on the 'EN' on the top right on the page. It will take you to their English
                translation page.

                Thanks for sharing this great new resource! I can't wait till March!

                Gina

                1a Polish genealogical sources
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/message/35192;_ylc=X3oDMTJxb3BmMHBsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEbXNnSWQDMzUxOTIEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTM2MTAzODQyMQ-->