Re: [S-R] 1829 Land Census

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
      Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might consider
      as a resource:

      _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
      (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)

      In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      carl.kotlarchik@... writes:

      I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
      attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make those
      pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the area
      that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
      home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
      with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my family
      records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
      CK

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
        It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
        1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
        patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
        census?
        I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
        the cellars and attics!

        Peter M.

        On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
        > consider
        > as a resource:
        >
        > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
        > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
        >

        > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
        >
        > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
        > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
        > those
        > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
        > area
        > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
        > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
        > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
        > family
        > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
        > CK

      • lrrykck
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
          Peter/ Carl

           Where would I find the 1829 land census in PDF that you mention?

           Thank you.

          larry

          It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
          1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
          patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
          census?
          I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
          the cellars and attics!

          Peter M.

          On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
          > consider
          > as a resource:
          >
          > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
          > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
          >

          > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
          >
          > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
          > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
          > those
          > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
          > area
          > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
          > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
          > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
          > family
          > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
          > CK

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
            Larry,
            If you go to the "files" section of this forum, look for a file that Eric Hajducsek placed there named: "1828 Hungarian Land Census Indices of Villages and Surnames". This file will explain how you can find the census and provides a link to the site.
            CK