Re: [S-R] 1829 Land Census

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
      Those books are limited and most behind a paywall eg the Pozsony megye.
      I've been waiting for a while now for it to come online. I'm not reluctant
      to pay for it but I can't see the point in my research as I will look at
      the archives directly in a few months.
      I did do a name search on those that are available using the inbuilt search
      function in the Adobe viewer. Is this what you used Carl? Or did Eric show
      you a different method?

      Peter M.

      On 15 February 2013 09:21, Carl <carl.kotlarchik@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
      > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make those
      > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
      > area that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original
      > family home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS
      > website with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find
      > my family records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
      > CK

    • takukuk
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
        Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might consider
        as a resource:

        _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
        (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
          It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
          1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
          patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
          census?
          I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
          the cellars and attics!

          Peter M.

          On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
          > consider
          > as a resource:
          >
          > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
          > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
          >

          > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
          >
          > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
          > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
          > those
          > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
          > area
          > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
          > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
          > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
          > family
          > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
          > CK

        • lrrykck
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
            Peter/ Carl

             Where would I find the 1829 land census in PDF that you mention?

             Thank you.

            larry

            It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
            1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
            patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
            census?
            I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
            the cellars and attics!

            Peter M.

            On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
            > consider
            > as a resource:
            >
            > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
            > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
            >

            > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
            >
            > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
            > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
            > those
            > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
            > area
            > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
            > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
            > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
            > family
            > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
            > CK

          • Carl
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
              Larry,
              If you go to the "files" section of this forum, look for a file that Eric Hajducsek placed there named: "1828 Hungarian Land Census Indices of Villages and Surnames". This file will explain how you can find the census and provides a link to the site.
              CK