1829 Land Census

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
      I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make those pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the area that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my family records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
      CK
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
        Those books are limited and most behind a paywall eg the Pozsony megye.
        I've been waiting for a while now for it to come online. I'm not reluctant
        to pay for it but I can't see the point in my research as I will look at
        the archives directly in a few months.
        I did do a name search on those that are available using the inbuilt search
        function in the Adobe viewer. Is this what you used Carl? Or did Eric show
        you a different method?

        Peter M.

        On 15 February 2013 09:21, Carl <carl.kotlarchik@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
        > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make those
        > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
        > area that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original
        > family home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS
        > website with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find
        > my family records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
        > CK

      • takukuk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
          Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might consider
          as a resource:

          _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
          (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
            It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
            1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
            patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
            census?
            I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
            the cellars and attics!

            Peter M.

            On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
            > consider
            > as a resource:
            >
            > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
            > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
            >

            > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
            >
            > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
            > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
            > those
            > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
            > area
            > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
            > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
            > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
            > family
            > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
            > CK

          • lrrykck
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
              Peter/ Carl

               Where would I find the 1829 land census in PDF that you mention?

               Thank you.

              larry

              It's a good resource actually. You can see the problems associated with the
              1869 census and how only some region's data survived. All in all it's very
              patchy. I do wonder why they didn't bother to include the 1715-1720 tax
              census?
              I just hope that one day a treasure trove of census data will be found in
              the cellars and attics!

              Peter M.

              On 16 February 2013 02:21, <takukuk@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Here's another record of census and census-like archives you might
              > consider
              > as a resource:
              >
              > _http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf_
              > (http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2011-020.pdf)
              >

              > In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:22:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              > carl.kotlarchik@... writes:
              >
              > I would like to give a big thank-you to Eric Hajducsek for bringing our
              > attention to the pdf files of the 1829 Land Census. He helped me make
              > those
              > pdf images into a searchable file for Szepes County which led me to the
              > area
              > that my family was from. As a result, I finally found the original family
              > home town that I have searched for (>10 years). Then using the LDS website
              > with the slightly different surname spellings, I was able to find my
              > family
              > records. They go back to the early 1700s. Thank you Eric!
              > CK

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
                Larry,
                If you go to the "files" section of this forum, look for a file that Eric Hajducsek placed there named: "1828 Hungarian Land Census Indices of Villages and Surnames". This file will explain how you can find the census and provides a link to the site.
                CK