Is this a question for Slovak Roots or Slovak World?

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      After working through the 1869 census for my family, I am wondering about the homes and everyday lives of that time. Which goup would be the most appropriate to ask questions about this topic?
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
        Probably Slovak World. A lot depends on the region you are talking about as
        there's a big difference between the East and West. I got a fair bit of
        information of different times (mainly early to mid 1800's) via English
        armchair travelogues that I found scattered across the web. It's not as
        easy as one would think as there appears to be a gap (or poor research on
        my part) between 1850 and 1880.
        I did do a bit on the creation of the local judiciary as one of my
        ancestors was an 'Esk├╝dt', a locally voted in civic official position
        lasting for 12 months. In my (western) village there were a total of three
        (including a county appointed judge) that handled minor trangressions but
        more importantly decided on which fields to be made fallow, which commons
        to be for stock feeding (cows were moved from house to pasture), land
        boundaries, assistance with taxing, appointing watchmen, news heralds,
        establishing goods prices for local consumption, markets and generally
        everyday life including church duties and so on. Now post 1869, this slowly
        changed into a more formalised municipal style organization as power moved
        from Noble estate owners to a centralised civic authority. It certainly
        meant that there was a lot of local organisation and support.
        FYI: My favourite was the news herald who would walk the street, beat his
        little drum and announce the news!

        Peter M.

        On 14 February 2013 09:53, Judy <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > After working through the 1869 census for my family, I am wondering about
        > the homes and everyday lives of that time. Which goup would be the most
        > appropriate to ask questions about this topic?

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          Sadly I must say Slovak World is the appropriate group to discuss history and life style with. Slovak Roots is a break-off from S-W and is dedicated to genealogy only. We have almost twice as many members signed up for this "genealogy only" forum as Slovak World has signed up for "all things Slovak" topics, which tells me that this group is serious about genealogy.

          Another likely superb group is forming on Google Groups at
          http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot/

          No registration needed to read, click and view.

          Those tired of spam who register can receive "Slovak Spot" posts at whatever non-Google e-mail address they wish and send comments from it.
          * * * *

          On a more personal note, I share your problem. I am a historian, not a genealogist. I have always been far more interested in how our ancestors lived than bean counting, and have been gathering books and visiting Slovakia for over 40 years. Some years back I started translating a book of our ancestors way of life in Hungary in 1840 and posting it on S-W, but their was virtually no interest so I dropped the project.

          I do suggest you check out Google Books and search for a list of the topics that interest you, and search also for your village and local town name. You may find full books, in English, published a hundred + years ago that describe different aspects of life and observations of the various minorities in Hungary. Most of what I found was in German, but that is my second language. I found that my village (Sulin) had a glass factory back in 1613!

          Finally, this (S-R) is livelier group, but S-W is the place to discuss history. I will be happy to join you there when I have something to offer. Oh, and Slovak Spot is run by Martin Votruba, Dr. at U Pitt, and he composes some startlingly clear and informative answers to questions, in addition to having pages of information at his U Pitt site.
          http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/celebrities/negrip.html

          Ron

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
            Peter & Ron,

            Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will check out each of those possibilities.

            Like each of you, I want to know the story behind the numbers, dates and names.

            Judy