Re: Latin translation on a birth record - help please

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2013
      Judy,
      The second note is written in a different hand.

      It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and that she was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].

      The places of marriage are not given.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:

      > I need help translating a comment on a birth record at the link below:
      >
      > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021
      >
      > entry #58 for Joannes G - comment section
      >

      > I can get the first part: N 7 (birth order), married to Stephania Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure out the part in between.
      >
      > Can anyone help me out?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Judy

    • Judy
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
        Thanks Curt for trying to help me out.

        That number does look like an 8, not a 9 as I originally thought.

        But now with your suggested translation,I am confused.

        The record in the link is a birth record of Joannes G from 1890. If the date written in the comments is 1843, then Genovena Nemec~ek already would have been 43 the year Joannes G was born...not a likely match.

        Hmmmm????

        Judy

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:

        > Judy,
        > The second note is written in a different hand.
        >
        > It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and that she was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].
        >
        > The places of marriage are not given.
        >
        > Curt B.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:
        > >
        > > I need help translating a comment on a birth record at the link below:
        > >
        > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021
        > >
        > > entry #58 for Joannes G - comment section
        > >

        > > I can get the first part: N 7 (birth order), married to Stephania Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure out the part in between.
        > >
        > > Can anyone help me out?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Judy

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
          Judy,
          You are right, of course. I puzzled quite a bit over this, but that is what the Latin says. As I look at it again, it is possible that the year 1843 really was intended to be 1893 but was written carelessly, but both the 8 & 9 are sloppy or perhaps the pen or ink are bad. The second scribe certainly had inferior handwriting.

          Curt B.

          but "Genoveva Nemec~ek nata... Means just what it says: Genoveva was born...

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:

          > Thanks Curt for trying to help me out.
          >
          > That number does look like an 8, not a 9 as I originally thought.
          >
          > But now with your suggested translation,I am confused.
          >
          > The record in the link is a birth record of Joannes G from 1890. If the date written in the comments is 1843, then Genovena Nemec~ek already would have been 43 the year Joannes G was born...not a likely match.
          >
          > Hmmmm????
          >
          > Judy
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:
          > >
          > > Judy,
          > > The second note is written in a different hand.
          > >
          > > It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and that she was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].
          > >
          > > The places of marriage are not given.
          > >
          > > Curt B.
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I need help translating a comment on a birth record at the link below:
          > > >
          > > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021
          > > >
          > > > entry #58 for Joannes G - comment section
          > > >

          > > > I can get the first part: N 7 (birth order), married to Stephania Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure out the part in between.
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone help me out?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Judy

        • sunysa
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
            I believe that they are referring to Genoveva Nemicek born or nee Melis and the date of the second marriage for both of them.

            Best regards,

            Paul Horvat

            That number does look like an 8, not a 9 as I originally thought.

            But now with your suggested translation,I am confused.

            The record in the link is a birth record of Joannes G from 1890. If the date
            written in the comments is 1843, then Genovena Nemec~ek already would have been
            43 the year Joannes G was born...not a likely match.

            Hmmmm????

            Judy

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:

            > Judy,
            > The second note is written in a different hand.
            >
            > It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and that she
            was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].

            > The places of marriage are not given.
            >
            > Curt B.
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:
            > >
            > > I need help translating a comment on a birth record at the link below:
            > >
            > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021
            > >
            > > entry #58 for Joannes G - comment section
            > >

            > > I can get the first part: N 7 (birth order), married to Stephania Hurban 18
            April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure out the part
            in between.

            > > Can anyone help me out?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Judy

            Links

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
              Paul,
              You're probably right. THe date her is probably 1943, and referring to the marriage and not her birth. That would make them in their mid fifties of age at the time of the second marriage and her a likely widow.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, sunysa@... wrote:

              > I believe that they are referring to Genoveva Nemicek born or nee Melis and the date of the second marriage for both of them.
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Paul Horvat

            • Judy
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
                Curt & Paul,

                Thanks so much for the help.

                Judy

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:

                > Paul,
                > You're probably right. THe date her is probably 1943, and referring to the marriage and not her birth. That would make them in their mid fifties of age at the time of the second marriage and her a likely widow.
                >

                > Curt B.
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, sunysa@ wrote:
                > >

                > > I believe that they are referring to Genoveva Nemicek born or nee Melis and the date of the second marriage for both of them.
                > >
                > > Best regards,
                > >
                > > Paul Horvat

              • takukuk
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Judy, how about a couple other thoughts?

                  I am surely no expert and can only provide insight from attempting to
                  translate similar records for my own Slovak roots.
                  * Not sure what "N7" refers to in the notes; birth order seems an
                  unlikely fact to record; I've never seen that recorded on any other record
                  other than US census records
                  * Surely appears to be a marriage to Stephania Hurban on 18 April
                  1910
                  * The last entry, again a different hand, appears to also mention a
                  marriage to Genoveva Nemecek but the unfortunate year leads you to one of
                  two conclusions
                  * Genoveva was either 47 years his senior (seemingly unlikely)
                  * Or the date is 16 Dec 1943 which is a plausible last entry
                  * However, I am having trouble with another possible translation:
                  * matrimonium inict cum Genvoveva Nemecek nata rue lis 16 Dec 1943"
                  * Slap that into a translator and you get: The beginning of your
                  marriage with a daughter 16 Dec 1943 Genvoveva Nemecek " (as if he brought a
                  daughter from a previous marriage into the second one... surely not that
                  he married one).

                  Hope this is of some help to you.

                  Tom

                  (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) , "CurtB" wrote:

                  > > Judy,
                  > > The second note is written in a different hand.
                  > >
                  > > It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and
                  that she was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].

                  > > The places of marriage are not given.
                  > >
                  > > Curt B.
                  > >
                  > > --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
                  (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) , "Judy" wrote:

                  > > > I need help translating a comment on a birth record at the link
                  below:

                  _https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021_
                  (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021)

                  > > > entry #58 for Joannes G - comment section
                  > > >

                  > > > I can get the first part: N 7 (birth order), married to Stephania
                  Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure
                  out the part in between.

                  > > > Can anyone help me out?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Judy

                • Judy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
                    Thanks for your interpretation of the Latin. This priest seems to add quite a few additional bits of information, so I always try to figure out what they mean.

                    As far as the N# notes...During this period of time the priest consistently notes the birth order number with either what looks like the N in my original record or with what looks like "pr#." Since he notes first born children with "primog" comments, I assume that "pr#" is an abbreviation for "primog" meaning "born + the birth #." For the family I am following, the numbering perfectly matches the children's birth order, so I am sure that is what the N7 means. I've been through many birth records covering a few centuries and have never seen another scribe do that.

                    Judy

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, takukuk@... wrote:

> [...]
                    > have been 43 the year Joannes G was born...not a likely match.
                    > >
                    > > Hmmmm????
                    > >
                    > > Judy
                    > >
                    > > --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
                    > (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) , "CurtB" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Judy,
                    > > > The second note is written in a different hand.
                    > > >
                    > > > It says he was married again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and
                    > that she was born on 16 Dec 1843. [not 1943].
                    > > >
                    > > > The places of marriage are not given.
                    > > >
                    > > > Curt B.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_

                    > below:
                    > > > >

                    > _https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021_
                    > (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021)

                    > Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16 Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure

                  • lrrykck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
                      Judy

                       primogenitus would mean first born child.

                       My ancestral v illiage of Gbely is very close to yours.

                       I've seen this word used in the later 1800s.

                       I've never seen the N prefix but also during the later 1800s there is a tiny number in the column for the given name.

                       Knowing the birth orders of children in this time period that were in my lineage, the numbers do match up.

                       I have seen an N prefix with house numbers in this time period, so could it just refer to "number"?
                      maybe the latin word for number also begins with an N???
                      larry

> [...]

                      > > Hmmmm????
                      > >
                      > > Judy
                      > >
                      > > ---  In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
                      > (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) ,  "CurtB" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Judy,
                      > > > The second note is  written in a different hand.
                      > > >
                      > > > It says he was married  again a second time to Genoveva Nemec~ek and
                      > that she was born on 16 Dec 1843.  [not 1943].
                      > > >
                      > > > The places of marriage are not  given.
                      > > >
                      > > > Curt B.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_

                      > below:
                      > > > >
                      > > >  >
                      > _https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021_
                      > (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14324-47616-89?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-RN4:n1966565021)
                      > >  > >

                      > Hurban 18 April 1910 and the 16  Dec 1943 date at the end, but I cannot figure

                    • Julie Michutka
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
                        As others have pointed out, it appears to be a notation and date of his second marriage. The Latin reads, "Matrimonium iniit cum Genoveva [Nemicek?] nata [Melis?] 16 Dec [1943?]," translation: He married Genoveva Nemicek, maiden name (literally, "born") Melis, on 16 Dec 1943. "Nata" is referring to her birth name, not her birth date.

                        ~ Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
                          Thanks for your reply, Julie.