Re: [S-R] Genealogists

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
      Peter, thank you for the spelling variations.

      Bob: on Anna Petrustsak's death record, her father's home town appears to
      be Kis-Kun, so just on a hunch I found this very similar spelling: If that
      home town on her death record is Kiskuncfalva, then that is Vlkovce that
      you and others have for her birthplace.

      Hope that helps.

      Tom

      In a message dated 2/2/2013 2:22:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      htcstech@... writes:

      Hello Robert,
      Not wanting to waste your time or efforts, but I want to clarify how early
      you have gone back searching for Anna's father in Vlkovce prior to 'the mid
      1810's'? On that, were there any Petrustsak (Petruscsak-Petrusczak) at all
      in the village? That would help determine if the family's home town was
      Vlkovce or not.
      Another consideration is that Anna married an Evangelical. There is a
      tradition of sorts that still occurs in some places, that the female
      children are baptised Catholic, while the males are baptised Evangelical
      (Calvanist/Lutheran) in mixed marriages. This came about as a reaction to
      the counter-reformation. Anna's father may of been born a Lutheran and
      married a Catholic.
      Any results looking for Anna's mother?
      If you are satisfied that there's nothing much more you can do, then a
      professional is a good idea.

      Peter M.

      to:janammann@...) >
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
        The Hungarian/Slovak/German city names plus all the name changes confuses
        the devil out of me, but I looked up Szepes-Ofalu and found this on WIKI:
        Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
        Stara Ves , _German _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
        _Polish _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
        _Latin _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
        Slovakia_ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
        (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
        (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
        (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is
        located north of POPRAD (Szepes-Szombat) and 50 miles from SNV or Iglo.

        Sue, did I get that wrong?

        In a message dated 2/2/2013 3:41:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        martin@... writes:

        Have you checked records of Szepes-Ofalu? I believe that's the earlier
        name of Spisska Nova Ves.

        Sue

        From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
        sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:janammann@...) >
        To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
        _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) "
        [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

        Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know
        something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
        Jan

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak [mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com]
        _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

        > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
        anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

        > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
        or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
        several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

        > Bob Pollak

      • Sue Martin
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
          No, you got it right. I mixed up Spisska Nova Ves and Spisska Stara Ves. Sorry about that!

          Sue

          Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
          Stara Ves , _German _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
          _Polish _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
          _Latin _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
          Slovakia_ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
          ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
          ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
          ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is

          From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
          sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:[mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] janammann@...) >
          To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
          [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] [mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

          [mailto:_rjp4053%40yahoo.com] _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:[mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...) > wrote:

          > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
          anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

          > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
          or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
          several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

          > Bob Pollak

        • Robert Pollak
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
            I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak.  I have viewed all of the films from all of the villages around  Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank.   I am ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

            Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success?  I have used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas.  I have sent emails to Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply.   Is there anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone can recommend?

            Bob Pollak

          • Wilma Blankenship
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
              Bob,

              I have a ancestor whose last name was Petruska (Maria) and she was married
              to a Juraj Michalcso from the village of Ruska Nova Ves. Could this be an
              ancestor for you?

              Wilma Blankenship

              I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my
              gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak. I have viewed all of the films from all
              of the villages around Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no
              luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank. I am
              ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

              Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success? I have
              used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas. I have sent emails to
              Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply. Is there
              anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone
              can recommend?

              Bob Pollak

              No virus found in this message.

            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                Bob,
                The 1995 Slovak Census had no listing for Petrustsak nor did Cisarik’s database. Wilma’s Petruska spelling had 428 finds in the ‘95 census in 119 locations. The top 10 locations 154/428 are in orkes that pretty much link to one another; Spisska Nova Ves, Kosice, Michalovce, Humenne, Presov, and Bardjov.
                Michal Razus, http://www.slovak-ancestry.com/, is a genealogist located in Presov. I have used him and have been very pleased. In September I am using him as my guide/translator for my trip to Slovakia.

[...]

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Petruscak/slovensko/