Re: [S-R] Genealogists

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
      Bob, I emailed you personally, but perhaps you didn't get it. I show only
      9 children and have a marriage date of: 7 NOV 1846.

      Is the ancestry tree "ivilcount4U" you? If so, I also have a different
      marriage record for Anna Pollak (Anna Petrustsak's daughter). Perhaps we
      should take that off-line? _takukuk@..._ (mailto:takukuk@...) is my
      email address. Regards, Tom Kukuk

      In a message dated 2/2/2013 1:39:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      rjp4053@... writes:

      My gg-grandmother's name (found on the birth records of her children and on
      her death record) was Anna Petrustsak. The first record of her is the
      birth of her first child in Spisska Nova Ves in 1837. She had 10 children
      all born in Spisska Nova Ves. Her husband, Samuel Pollak was born in 1815
      in SPisske Podhradie and he was Evangelical (Anna was Roman Catholic).
      There is no record of her marriage (probably in 1835 or 1836)in either
      religion in Spisska Nova Ves or SPisske Podhradie.

      Anna's husband died in 1877 and Anna died in 1900. Her death record
      states that she came from what is now Vlkova and her father came from Vlkovce.
      Neither place showed a Petrustsak being born in the mid 1810's

      I have looked (on-line) through most of the records in the Spis area with
      no luck.

      The birth records of all of her children and the death record of her
      husband are on-line. I photographed the death record which is in Hungarian. A
      friend had translated it for me. The only thing that was not translatable
      was her occupation. It is not in any Hungarian dictionary but my friend
      told me it was a person that was a capitalist who had enough money to invest
      and live off of the profits.

      Any suggestions?
      Bob Pollak

      ________________________________
      From: Jan Ammann _janammann@..._ (mailto:janammann@...)

      To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
      " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
        Have you checked records of Szepes-Ofalu? I believe that's the earlier name of Spisska Nova Ves.

        Sue

        On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak [mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...> wrote:

        > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
        >
        > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
        >
        > Bob Pollak

      • takukuk
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
          Peter, thank you for the spelling variations.

          Bob: on Anna Petrustsak's death record, her father's home town appears to
          be Kis-Kun, so just on a hunch I found this very similar spelling: If that
          home town on her death record is Kiskuncfalva, then that is Vlkovce that
          you and others have for her birthplace.

          Hope that helps.

          Tom

          In a message dated 2/2/2013 2:22:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          htcstech@... writes:

          Hello Robert,
          Not wanting to waste your time or efforts, but I want to clarify how early
          you have gone back searching for Anna's father in Vlkovce prior to 'the mid
          1810's'? On that, were there any Petrustsak (Petruscsak-Petrusczak) at all
          in the village? That would help determine if the family's home town was
          Vlkovce or not.
          Another consideration is that Anna married an Evangelical. There is a
          tradition of sorts that still occurs in some places, that the female
          children are baptised Catholic, while the males are baptised Evangelical
          (Calvanist/Lutheran) in mixed marriages. This came about as a reaction to
          the counter-reformation. Anna's father may of been born a Lutheran and
          married a Catholic.
          Any results looking for Anna's mother?
          If you are satisfied that there's nothing much more you can do, then a
          professional is a good idea.

          Peter M.

          to:janammann@...) >
          > To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
          > Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know
          > something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
          > Jan
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak _rjp4053@..._
          (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

          > > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
          > anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
          > >
          > > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was
          born
          > or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
          > several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
          > >
          > > Bob Pollak

        • takukuk
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
            The Hungarian/Slovak/German city names plus all the name changes confuses
            the devil out of me, but I looked up Szepes-Ofalu and found this on WIKI:
            Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
            Stara Ves , _German _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
            _Polish _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
            _Latin _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
            Slovakia_ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
            (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
            (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
            (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is
            located north of POPRAD (Szepes-Szombat) and 50 miles from SNV or Iglo.

            Sue, did I get that wrong?

            From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
            sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:janammann@...) >
            To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
            _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) "
            [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

            Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know
            something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
            Jan

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak [mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com]
            _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

            > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
            anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

            > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
            or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
            several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

            > Bob Pollak

          • Sue Martin
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
              No, you got it right. I mixed up Spisska Nova Ves and Spisska Stara Ves. Sorry about that!

              Sue

              Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
              Stara Ves , _German _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
              _Polish _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
              _Latin _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
              Slovakia_ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
              ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
              ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
              ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is

              From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
              sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:[mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] janammann@...) >
              To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
              [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] [mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

              [mailto:_rjp4053%40yahoo.com] _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:[mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...) > wrote:

              > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
              anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

              > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
              or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
              several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

              > Bob Pollak

            • Robert Pollak
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak.  I have viewed all of the films from all of the villages around  Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank.   I am ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success?  I have used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas.  I have sent emails to Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply.   Is there anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone can recommend?

                Bob Pollak

              • Wilma Blankenship
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Bob,

                  I have a ancestor whose last name was Petruska (Maria) and she was married
                  to a Juraj Michalcso from the village of Ruska Nova Ves. Could this be an
                  ancestor for you?

                  Wilma Blankenship

                  I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my
                  gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak. I have viewed all of the films from all
                  of the villages around Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no
                  luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank. I am
                  ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                  Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success? I have
                  used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas. I have sent emails to
                  Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply. Is there
                  anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone
                  can recommend?

                  Bob Pollak

                  No virus found in this message.

                • MGMojher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Bob,
                    The 1995 Slovak Census had no listing for Petrustsak nor did Cisarik’s database. Wilma’s Petruska spelling had 428 finds in the ‘95 census in 119 locations. The top 10 locations 154/428 are in orkes that pretty much link to one another; Spisska Nova Ves, Kosice, Michalovce, Humenne, Presov, and Bardjov.
                    Michal Razus, http://www.slovak-ancestry.com/, is a genealogist located in Presov. I have used him and have been very pleased. In September I am using him as my guide/translator for my trip to Slovakia.

[...]

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Petruscak/slovensko/