Re: [S-R] Genealogists

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2 12:21 PM
      Hello Robert,
      Not wanting to waste your time or efforts, but I want to clarify how early
      you have gone back searching for Anna's father in Vlkovce prior to 'the mid
      1810's'? On that, were there any Petrustsak (Petruscsak-Petrusczak) at all
      in the village? That would help determine if the family's home town was
      Vlkovce or not.
      Another consideration is that Anna married an Evangelical. There is a
      tradition of sorts that still occurs in some places, that the female
      children are baptised Catholic, while the males are baptised Evangelical
      (Calvanist/Lutheran) in mixed marriages. This came about as a reaction to
      the counter-reformation. Anna's father may of been born a Lutheran and
      married a Catholic.
      Any results looking for Anna's mother?
      If you are satisfied that there's nothing much more you can do, then a
      professional is a good idea.

      Peter M.

      On 3 February 2013 06:39, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > My gg-grandmother's name (found on the birth records of her children and
      > on her death record) was Anna Petrustsak. The first record of her is the
      > birth of her first child in Spisska Nova Ves in 1837. She had 10 children
      > all born in Spisska Nova Ves. Her husband, Samuel Pollak was born in 1815
      > in SPisske Podhradie and he was Evangelical (Anna was Roman Catholic).
      > There is no record of her marriage (probably in 1835 or 1836)in either
      > religion in Spisska Nova Ves or SPisske Podhradie.
      >
      > Anna's husband died in 1877 and Anna died in 1900. Her death record
      > states that she came from what is now Vlkova and her father came from
      > Vlkovce. Neither place showed a Petrustsak being born in the mid 1810's
      >
      > I have looked (on-line) through most of the records in the Spis area with
      > no luck.
      >
      > The birth records of all of her children and the death record of her
      > husband are on-line. I photographed the death record which is in
      > Hungarian. A friend had translated it for me. The only thing that was not
      > translatable was her occupation. It is not in any Hungarian dictionary but
      > my friend told me it was a person that was a capitalist who had enough
      > money to invest and live off of the profits.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      > Bob Pollak
      >
      > ________________________________

    • takukuk
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2 12:42 PM
        Bob, I emailed you personally, but perhaps you didn't get it. I show only
        9 children and have a marriage date of: 7 NOV 1846.

        Is the ancestry tree "ivilcount4U" you? If so, I also have a different
        marriage record for Anna Pollak (Anna Petrustsak's daughter). Perhaps we
        should take that off-line? _takukuk@..._ (mailto:takukuk@...) is my
        email address. Regards, Tom Kukuk

        From: Jan Ammann _janammann@..._ (mailto:janammann@...)

        To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
        " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >

        (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

        > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
        anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

        > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
        or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
        several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

        > Bob Pollak

      • Sue Martin
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2 1:41 PM
          Have you checked records of Szepes-Ofalu? I believe that's the earlier name of Spisska Nova Ves.

          Sue

          On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak [mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...> wrote:

          > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
          >
          > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
          >
          > Bob Pollak

        • takukuk
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2 3:18 PM
            Peter, thank you for the spelling variations.

            Bob: on Anna Petrustsak's death record, her father's home town appears to
            be Kis-Kun, so just on a hunch I found this very similar spelling: If that
            home town on her death record is Kiskuncfalva, then that is Vlkovce that
            you and others have for her birthplace.

            Hope that helps.

            Tom

            to:janammann@...) >
            > To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
            > Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know
            > something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
            > Jan
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak _rjp4053@..._
            (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

            > > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
            > anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
            > >
            > > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was
            born
            > or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
            > several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
            > >
            > > Bob Pollak

          • takukuk
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2 3:26 PM
              The Hungarian/Slovak/German city names plus all the name changes confuses
              the devil out of me, but I looked up Szepes-Ofalu and found this on WIKI:
              Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
              Stara Ves , _German _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
              _Polish _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
              _Latin _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
              Slovakia_ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
              (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
              (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
              (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is
              located north of POPRAD (Szepes-Szombat) and 50 miles from SNV or Iglo.

              Sue, did I get that wrong?

              From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
              sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:janammann@...) >
              To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
              _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) "
              [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

              _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

              > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
              anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

              > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
              or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
              several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

              > Bob Pollak

            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2 5:01 PM
                No, you got it right. I mixed up Spisska Nova Ves and Spisska Stara Ves. Sorry about that!

                Sue

                Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
                Stara Ves , _German _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
                _Polish _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
                _Latin _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
                Slovakia_ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
                ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
                ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
                ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is

                From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
                sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:[mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] janammann@...) >
                To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
                [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] [mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                [mailto:_rjp4053%40yahoo.com] _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:[mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...) > wrote:

                > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
                anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

                > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
                or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
                several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

                > Bob Pollak

              • Robert Pollak
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak.  I have viewed all of the films from all of the villages around  Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank.   I am ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                  Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success?  I have used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas.  I have sent emails to Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply.   Is there anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone can recommend?

                  Bob Pollak

                • Wilma Blankenship
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Bob,

                    I have a ancestor whose last name was Petruska (Maria) and she was married
                    to a Juraj Michalcso from the village of Ruska Nova Ves. Could this be an
                    ancestor for you?

                    Wilma Blankenship

                    I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my
                    gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak. I have viewed all of the films from all
                    of the villages around Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no
                    luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank. I am
                    ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                    Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success? I have
                    used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas. I have sent emails to
                    Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply. Is there
                    anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone
                    can recommend?

                    Bob Pollak

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • MGMojher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                      Bob,
                      The 1995 Slovak Census had no listing for Petrustsak nor did Cisarik’s database. Wilma’s Petruska spelling had 428 finds in the ‘95 census in 119 locations. The top 10 locations 154/428 are in orkes that pretty much link to one another; Spisska Nova Ves, Kosice, Michalovce, Humenne, Presov, and Bardjov.
                      Michal Razus, http://www.slovak-ancestry.com/, is a genealogist located in Presov. I have used him and have been very pleased. In September I am using him as my guide/translator for my trip to Slovakia.

[...]

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                        http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Petruscak/slovensko/