Re: [S-R] Genealogists

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2013
      Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
      Jan

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

      > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
      >
      > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
      >
      > Bob Pollak

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2013
        Bob,
        Do you have any idea where in the Spis region that you would concentrate the search?
        I have used a certified genealogist out of Presov, Michal Razus, http://slovak-ancestry.com/.
        My ancestral village, Hromos/Gromos was in the Spis county of Hungary. The Levoca and Presov Archives covers most of Spis. Which archive depends on where in Spis your search will be.

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
          My gg-grandmother's name (found on the birth records of her children and on her death record) was Anna Petrustsak.    The first record of her is the birth of her first child in Spisska Nova Ves in 1837.   She had 10 children all born in Spisska Nova Ves.  Her husband, Samuel Pollak was born in 1815 in SPisske Podhradie and he was Evangelical (Anna was Roman Catholic).  There is no record of her marriage (probably in 1835 or 1836)in either religion in Spisska Nova Ves or SPisske Podhradie.

          Anna's husband died in 1877 and Anna died in 1900.   Her death record states that she came from what is now Vlkova and her father came from Vlkovce.  Neither place showed a Petrustsak being born in the mid 1810's

          I have looked (on-line) through most of the records in the Spis area with no luck.

          The birth records of all of her children and the death record of her husband are on-line.  I photographed the death record which is in Hungarian.  A friend had translated it for me.  The only thing that was not translatable was her occupation.  It is not in any Hungarian dictionary but my friend told me it was a person that was a capitalist who had enough money to invest and live off of the profits.

          Any suggestions?
          Bob Pollak

          ________________________________
          Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
          Jan

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak rjp4053@...> wrote:

          > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
          >
          > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
          >
          > Bob Pollak

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
            Hello Robert,
            Not wanting to waste your time or efforts, but I want to clarify how early
            you have gone back searching for Anna's father in Vlkovce prior to 'the mid
            1810's'? On that, were there any Petrustsak (Petruscsak-Petrusczak) at all
            in the village? That would help determine if the family's home town was
            Vlkovce or not.
            Another consideration is that Anna married an Evangelical. There is a
            tradition of sorts that still occurs in some places, that the female
            children are baptised Catholic, while the males are baptised Evangelical
            (Calvanist/Lutheran) in mixed marriages. This came about as a reaction to
            the counter-reformation. Anna's father may of been born a Lutheran and
            married a Catholic.
            Any results looking for Anna's mother?
            If you are satisfied that there's nothing much more you can do, then a
            professional is a good idea.

            Peter M.

            On 3 February 2013 06:39, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > My gg-grandmother's name (found on the birth records of her children and
            > on her death record) was Anna Petrustsak. The first record of her is the
            > birth of her first child in Spisska Nova Ves in 1837. She had 10 children
            > all born in Spisska Nova Ves. Her husband, Samuel Pollak was born in 1815
            > in SPisske Podhradie and he was Evangelical (Anna was Roman Catholic).
            > There is no record of her marriage (probably in 1835 or 1836)in either
            > religion in Spisska Nova Ves or SPisske Podhradie.
            >
            > Anna's husband died in 1877 and Anna died in 1900. Her death record
            > states that she came from what is now Vlkova and her father came from
            > Vlkovce. Neither place showed a Petrustsak being born in the mid 1810's
            >
            > I have looked (on-line) through most of the records in the Spis area with
            > no luck.
            >
            > The birth records of all of her children and the death record of her
            > husband are on-line. I photographed the death record which is in
            > Hungarian. A friend had translated it for me. The only thing that was not
            > translatable was her occupation. It is not in any Hungarian dictionary but
            > my friend told me it was a person that was a capitalist who had enough
            > money to invest and live off of the profits.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            > Bob Pollak
            >
            > ________________________________

          • takukuk
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
              Bob, I emailed you personally, but perhaps you didn't get it. I show only
              9 children and have a marriage date of: 7 NOV 1846.

              Is the ancestry tree "ivilcount4U" you? If so, I also have a different
              marriage record for Anna Pollak (Anna Petrustsak's daughter). Perhaps we
              should take that off-line? _takukuk@..._ (mailto:takukuk@...) is my
              email address. Regards, Tom Kukuk

              From: Jan Ammann _janammann@..._ (mailto:janammann@...)

              To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
              " _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) >

              (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

              > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
              anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

              > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
              or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
              several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

              > Bob Pollak

            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
                Have you checked records of Szepes-Ofalu? I believe that's the earlier name of Spisska Nova Ves.

                Sue

                On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak [mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...> wrote:

                > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
                >
                > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
                >
                > Bob Pollak

              • takukuk
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Peter, thank you for the spelling variations.

                  Bob: on Anna Petrustsak's death record, her father's home town appears to
                  be Kis-Kun, so just on a hunch I found this very similar spelling: If that
                  home town on her death record is Kiskuncfalva, then that is Vlkovce that
                  you and others have for her birthplace.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Tom

                  to:janammann@...) >
                  > To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_
                  > Why don't you give us her name & details. Who knows? Someone may know
                  > something. It's worth a shot. Dumb luck kicks in every now and then!
                  > Jan
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Robert Pollak _rjp4053@..._
                  (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

                  > > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
                  > anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?
                  > >
                  > > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was
                  born
                  > or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
                  > several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.
                  > >
                  > > Bob Pollak

                • takukuk
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
                    The Hungarian/Slovak/German city names plus all the name changes confuses
                    the devil out of me, but I looked up Szepes-Ofalu and found this on WIKI:
                    Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
                    Stara Ves , _German _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
                    _Polish _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
                    _Latin _ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
                    Slovakia_ (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
                    (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
                    (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
                    (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is
                    located north of POPRAD (Szepes-Szombat) and 50 miles from SNV or Iglo.

                    Sue, did I get that wrong?

                    From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
                    sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:janammann@...) >
                    To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
                    _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) "
                    [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                    _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:rjp4053@...) > wrote:

                    > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
                    anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

                    > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
                    or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
                    several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

                    > Bob Pollak

                  • Sue Martin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2013
                      No, you got it right. I mixed up Spisska Nova Ves and Spisska Stara Ves. Sorry about that!

                      Sue

                      Szepesófalu ( _Slovak _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1k_nyelv) Spisska
                      Stara Ves , _German _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%a9met_nyelv) Altendorf ,
                      _Polish _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengyel_nyelv) Spiska Stara Wies ,
                      _Latin _ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_nyelv) Villa Antiqua) city _in
                      Slovakia_ ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlov%c3%a1kia) in _Prešov Region _
                      ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperjesi_ker%c3%bclet) _Késmárki gait_
                      ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%c3%a9sm%c3%a1rki_j%c3%a1r%c3%a1s) . Tarhegy included. _2,011_
                      ([http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%5d http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011) in 2264 Slovakia had a population of 2,055 and is

                      From: Jan Ammann [mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] _janammann@
                      sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:[mailto:janammann%40sbcglobal.net] janammann@...) >
                      To: "[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com]
                      [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] [mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:[mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                      [mailto:_rjp4053%40yahoo.com] _rjp4053@..._ (mailto:[mailto:rjp4053%40yahoo.com] rjp4053@...) > wrote:

                      > I have given up trying to find information on my gg-grandmother. Can
                      anyone suggest a good genealogist in the Spis region?

                      > I know a lot about my gg-grandmother but I don't know where she was born
                      or where she was married. After looking at films and visiting the area
                      several times with no luck, I am ready to turn it over to a Pro.

                      > Bob Pollak

                    • Robert Pollak
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                        I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak.  I have viewed all of the films from all of the villages around  Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank.   I am ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                        Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success?  I have used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas.  I have sent emails to Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply.   Is there anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone can recommend?

                        Bob Pollak

                      • Wilma Blankenship
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                          Bob,

                          I have a ancestor whose last name was Petruska (Maria) and she was married
                          to a Juraj Michalcso from the village of Ruska Nova Ves. Could this be an
                          ancestor for you?

                          Wilma Blankenship

                          I have been looking for the place and date of birth and marriage for my
                          gg-grandmother - Anna Petrustsak. I have viewed all of the films from all
                          of the villages around Presov, Levoca and Spisska Nova Ves areas with no
                          luck. I have made several trips to the area and have come up blank. I am
                          ready to turn it over to a professional genealogist.

                          Can anyone suggest a genealogist that they have used with success? I have
                          used Vladimir Flak but he has run out of ideas. I have sent emails to
                          Vladimir Bohinc twice requesting estimates but he does not reply. Is there
                          anyone else that does genealogical research in the Spis region that anyone
                          can recommend?

                          Bob Pollak

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • MGMojher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                            Bob,
                            The 1995 Slovak Census had no listing for Petrustsak nor did Cisarik’s database. Wilma’s Petruska spelling had 428 finds in the ‘95 census in 119 locations. The top 10 locations 154/428 are in orkes that pretty much link to one another; Spisska Nova Ves, Kosice, Michalovce, Humenne, Presov, and Bardjov.
                            Michal Razus, http://www.slovak-ancestry.com/, is a genealogist located in Presov. I have used him and have been very pleased. In September I am using him as my guide/translator for my trip to Slovakia.

[...]

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Petruscak/slovensko/