Fw: Re: [S-R] translation

  • karen lovadina
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
      --- On Mon, 1/28/13, karen lovadina <lovadina_karen@...> wrote:

      From: karen lovadina <lovadina_karen@...>
      Subject: Re: [S-R] translation
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, January 28, 2013, 8:41 PM

      On a baptismal record under the column where it says religion and conditio,  some records say "mont" and some say"pleb".  What do these mean?
      Karen

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
        Hello Karen,
        Not knowing the year and place I would hazard a guess that Pleb stands for
        Plebania meaning Parish.
        Mont, I'm not sure of.
        Were these words associated where the ceremony took place? I've seen
        records where the priest distinguishes where the ceremony was held. In the
        church, in the chapel or in some instances, an outside ceremony sometimes
        on 'Calvary Hill'. So Mont could mean that.
        Different villages had/have areas of religious significance. There's the
        local 'Calvary Hill' where 3 crosses were erected. Some have a Barlang
        (cave) or place where a local miracle occurred, represented by a statue.
        Sometimes under the bell tower itself.

        Peter M.

        On 30 January 2013 08:52, karen lovadina <lovadina_karen@...> wrote:

        > **

      • Margo Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
          Pleb = commoner, not noble.  Could be either colonus or inquilinus.

          Margo