Re: [S-R] Hungarian Census question - which pages go with which family

  • lrrykck
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
      Hi Debbie

         The 1869 census is a goldmine of data for how our ancestors lived. I think your problem is in using it to put the family together.

       Maybe it would be easier to build the family [including cousins] from birth/bapt and marriage records first.

          For the two men in question you could search through all records for the time period...give and take a few years ei ther way. You can record all the right surnames for that time period and then use house numbers and godparents to help you get an idea of relationships. Also with marriage records you'll have maiden names and witnesses....a lot of times marriage witnesses will be godparents to the couple's subsequant children or godparent to the person being married...but it all helps to build families.

          It's time consuming but when you have all that data from the time period you'll be able to get a good picture of the different families..You should be able to start seeing connections and relationships.

       Then the 1869 census will help confirm and enhance what you found in the birth and marriage records.

       This is my personal method, but like I said, it's time consuming and maybe someone else has a more effcient method.

       My great grandfather's family shared a house with his cousin's family. I had the same problem as you;...two heads of household with same surname and  given names...and birth dates that were only a few years apart. They ended up as cousins.

       Using only the data from the 1869 census you can only make assumptions.

      Good luck Debbie...

      Larry

      interesting sidenote;  why are livestock broken down into sub catagories...i.e. milk cows as opposed to meat cows? was it because they were taxed at different rates?

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
        Larry, you are completely right, and this is really what I need to do... again! I have combed through the records, and as I mentioned, I have found a few options for Janos' possible birth record, but just can't be sure. Let me take it back a step. I got Janos & Marta's names from Martha's death certificate (from PA). I have not found a birth/baptism record for Martha. The records go UP to 1856, then SKIP to 1861 and forward. The death record gives her birthdate as 1862. There is no birth record for her that I can find, so I am guessing she was born in that missing time period, most likely 1860 - 1861.

        So no birth record means no confirmation of parents's names. I have found a marriage record for what may be my Janos and Marta in 1844, so the year of marriage could be appropriate, if Martha were one of their later children. Unfortunately, the marriage record gives no ages for the bride and groom, and no parents' names for either. So I am really going here on assumptions.

        With the addition of Gyorgy to the mix, I can go back and check all the records again, using the few baptism options I had for Janos, and see if any of those parents on the baptism records had a son Gyorgy (again, assuming Gyorgy was Janos's brother.) Of course, Janos could very well have a brother Gyorgy but this Gyorgy in the census is not necessarily him! Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself...

        Thanks for the reminder to keep an eye on house numbers. I do make note of godparents, but I don't always remember the house numbers. I guess it's time to revisit the church records!

        Thanks for your thoughts and thanks to everyone for being patient while I "think out loud" here!

        Debbie

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

        > Hi Debbie
        >
        >    The 1869 census is a goldmine of data for how our ancestors lived. I think your problem is in using it to put the family together.
        >
        >  Maybe it would be easier to build the family [including cousins] from birth/bapt and marriage records first.
        >
        >     For the two men in question you could search through all records for the time period...give and take a few years ei ther way. You can record all the right surnames for that time period and then use house numbers and godparents to help you get an idea of relationships. Also with marriage records you'll have maiden names and witnesses....a lot of times marriage witnesses will be godparents to the couple's subsequant children or godparent to the person being married...but it all helps to build families.
        >
        >     It's time consuming but when you have all that data from the time period you'll be able to get a good picture of the different families..You should be able to start seeing connections and relationships.
        >
        >  Then the 1869 census will help confirm and enhance what you found in the birth and marriage records.
        >
        >  This is my personal method, but like I said, it's time consuming and maybe someone else has a more effcient method.
        >

        >  My great grandfather's family shared a house with his cousin's family. I had the same problem as you;...two heads of household with same surname and  given names...and birth dates that were only a few years apart. They ended up as cousins.
        >
        >  Using only the data from the 1869 census you can only make assumptions.
        >

        > Good luck Debbie...
        >
        > Larry
        >
        > interesting sidenote;  why are livestock broken down into sub catagories...i.e. milk cows as opposed to meat cows? was it because they were taxed at different rates?

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
          Hi Larry,

          The classification of bulls, cows, oxen and 'borju' - calves into Hungarian
          or Swiss was important to the economy. I got most of this info from bits
          and pieces during wider research in genealogy and so generally not set in
          stone.

          The beef trade between all of old Hungary and Europe from about 1560
          onwards became increasingly important. It was one aspect that both the
          Turks and the Hungarians saw eye to eye on and became a mutual endeavour.
          The Swiss (Svajczi) cows were prized for their milk in quality and
          quantity. They were not used as work animals.
          The Magyar cows and calves (veal - up to 3 years of age) were generally
          meat animals. Magyar cows are brown and have prominent Y shaped long
          straight horns and are easy to identify.
          Selected bulls of both breeds were kept as studs. The younger bull calves
          were kept as steers and for veal.
          So it was important to know if a farm had a Swiss or Magyar bull.
          I read that at the height of the beef trade, over 100,000 animals/year were
          sent to Europe under the auspices of the Turks and Royal/Transylvanian
          Hungarians. It certainly gave me a different perspective about the
          importance of the plains of Pannonia and why so many wanted to control it
          through political, religious and economic measures.

          Peter M.

        • lrrykck
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
            Peter

             Thank you....

             This is the data that you don't find in typical avenues of genealogical research. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for it.

               Understanding the basis of  the economy and what commodities our  ancestors owned or traded
             helps to understand their financial status and general lifestyle.

             I need to revisit the 1869 census with this new information....

             Thanks again Peter.

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2013
              Yes, Peter, thank you for this info. Looks like my family had a milk cow!