Re: [S-R] Slovak Town Websites for LOZIN, DUPLIN & RAKOCZ

  • davidsadventure4
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
      Dear Martha:

      I believe that the village of DUPLIN in the Presov region of Slovakia was
      called Bányavölgy in Hungarian. The Hungarian name means "Valley of the
      Mine". Here is a link to the Wikipedia page in Hungarian:

      _http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nyav%C3%B6lgy_
      (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%c3%a1nyav%c3%b6lgy)

      If you use Google.com to get to the Wikipedia page, Google should be able
      to translate it automatically. Otherwise, you can use Google translate to
      do the same. I have done a lot of historical research on a number of
      villages in the territory of present-day Slovakia. For whatever reason, when I
      cannot locate the village websites, etc. under the Slovak name, I often find
      success locating information about the village under its Hungarian name.

      With regard to the village of LOZIN in Slovakia, you may need to do your
      searching with the diacritical marks in its name -- _Ložín_
      (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x47392b89ded85bdd:0x400f7d1c6974d80&q=lozin&hl=en&ve
      d=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=zJ4EUbKbJeaEwQG2_IHIBQ&sig2=7SrTRRhwIS94iNPaPG9dig) .
      Here is a link to the page for LOZIN in Wikipedia:

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%C5%BE%C3%ADn_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%c5%be%c3%adn)

      In regard to the name RAKOCZ, it appears to be a somewhat common name, so
      you need to take care to make sure that you have the correct village.
      There is one village which was called RAKOCZ in Hungarian that is known under
      the present name RAKOVCIK in the SARIS region of Slovakia. It is immediate
      adjacent to and west of to the village of DUPLIN. When searching for this
      village online, you may need to use the name with it diacritical marks:
      _Rakovčík_
      (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x473e9e96e6c58bb9:0xf047b08722b5dc3d&q=rakovcik+slovakia&hl=en&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=MKIEUcCPJqfywQHFp
      YDwDg&sig2=9u1ghMNNSt-KQnoXgH7APg)

      Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for RAKOVCIK:

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%C4%8D%C3%ADk_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%c4%8d%c3%adk)

      Here is also a link to the village website:

      _http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/_ (http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/)

      Please be careful, however, because there is also another village, which
      was known as RAKOCZ in Hungarian, and which is present known as RAKOVEC NAD
      ONDAVOU (which is about 3 villages north of LUZIN). Here is a link to the
      Wikipedia page:

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou)

      Here is the link to the village website in Slovakia:

      _http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/_
      (http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/)

      With regard to the village of RAKOCZ, you may have a bit of a puzzle on
      your hands, and may need to research the records of both places. Please be
      very careful because sometimes certain surnames may appear in several places,
      and you want to be careful not to go on any wild goose chase. Sometimes,
      the genealogical puzzles can be fun; other times, they can be frustrating.
      I hope that this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David

      In a message dated 1/26/2013 5:23:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mandras@... writes:

      Hi!

      I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
      (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are
      websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my ancestors
      are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found anything.

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

      Martha Andras

    • martha.andras
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
        Hi Peter & David,

        Yes - Duplin & Rakovcik are both in Saris. I have been working on my family tree for a long time and I do have my ancestors documented in both towns as well as my husband's ancestors in Lozin (Zemplin County). In case there are any new comers the names I am researching are PUNDCZAK (Duplin), KUNDRAT (Rakovcik) and ANDRAS or ANDRASOV (Lozin or Suche).

        Thank you for the suggestions regarding town websites. I will report back what I find! This group has been very helpful to me in the past and I do read every post!

        Martha