Re: [S-R] Re: TRISIK/ TRISICK / TRESICK / TURAK relatives

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
      Bette,
      Glad that we've helped.

      After the Location column are the Sponsors or God Parents, their Surname,
      Christian name, work and religion. Next column is the name of the
      priest/scribe, followed by Notes. That would be accurate for this time
      frame up to 1895 when the Hungarian government went with civil
      registrations but used the church records prior to this date.
      The Hungarian-nes of some of these records in present day Slovakia was due
      to 'Magyarization' where the Hungarian government closed 'ethnic' schools
      and settled Hungarians into traditional 'ethnic' villages throughout the
      old country. Magyarization included present day Slovakia, Romania,
      Slovenia, Italy, Moldavia, Ukraine, Serbia et.al. It was a pro-Nationalist
      reaction against Austria who wanted to replace around 16 different
      languages in the Austro-Hungarian empire with German in official
      communications. This happened from 1869 onwards as an edict from the
      government to all churches and official institutions. So some names were
      written in Hungarian spelling, which in your case is a bit of an advantage
      as it shows pronunciation. You would have to work backwards to see if the
      name did change in spelling ~ I am often wrong.
      The result of this (keeping on genealogy) is that the Hungarian spelling
      stuck in some instances, so that factor added to the variation of names.
      There is no guarantee about literacy and/or dialect either, so the scribe
      may write the name as it sounded, or mis-transcribed the name from an
      earlier record.
      Your scribe was Hungarian (check image 200 - page now in Latin) where he
      wrote the names in Magyar eg TERESZKO instead of TERESKO and so on.

      Peter M

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
        Betty,

        In the Slovak Pride DB we have 2 people listing Ondercso from Jarovnice
        get back to me if you would like their contact information.

        helene
        helenezx@...

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
          Thanks Helene,
          Yes I would like their contact info.
          Thanks, Bette
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux wrote:

          > Betty,
          >
          > In the Slovak Pride DB we have 2 people listing Ondercso from Jarovnice
          > get back to me if you would like their contact information.
          >
          > helene
          > helenezx@...

        • Richard Ganofsky
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            I know a guy and he is searching a family named TRUSNIK

            You think it can be a variation?????