Slovak Town Websites for LOZIN, DUPLIN & RAKOCZ

  • martha.andras
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
      Hi!

      I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
      (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found anything.

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

      Martha Andras
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
        Hello Martha,

        Your best bet is to look at this site, select the letter the village/town
        name begins with and look through the list as there can be a number of
        villages with the same name in different counties:

        http://www.cisarik.com/0_all-villages-A.html

        Once you are sure that it's the right place, then google/bing search it.
        Some villages are so small that there may not be a website devoted to it.
        Duplin I think is one of these.
        Lozin: http://www.obeclozin.sk/-home
        Rakovčík: http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/en

        Sometimes Wikipedia has a link to the home town page as well - or some of
        the accomodation directories.

        Peter M.

        On 27 January 2013 09:23, martha.andras <mandras@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi!
        >
        > I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
        > (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are
        > websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my
        > ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found
        > anything.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
        >
        > Martha Andras

      • davidsadventure4
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
          Dear Martha:

          I believe that the village of DUPLIN in the Presov region of Slovakia was
          called Bányavölgy in Hungarian. The Hungarian name means "Valley of the
          Mine". Here is a link to the Wikipedia page in Hungarian:

          _http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nyav%C3%B6lgy_
          (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%c3%a1nyav%c3%b6lgy)

          If you use Google.com to get to the Wikipedia page, Google should be able
          to translate it automatically. Otherwise, you can use Google translate to
          do the same. I have done a lot of historical research on a number of
          villages in the territory of present-day Slovakia. For whatever reason, when I
          cannot locate the village websites, etc. under the Slovak name, I often find
          success locating information about the village under its Hungarian name.

          With regard to the village of LOZIN in Slovakia, you may need to do your
          searching with the diacritical marks in its name -- _Ložín_
          (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x47392b89ded85bdd:0x400f7d1c6974d80&q=lozin&hl=en&ve
          d=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=zJ4EUbKbJeaEwQG2_IHIBQ&sig2=7SrTRRhwIS94iNPaPG9dig) .
          Here is a link to the page for LOZIN in Wikipedia:

          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%C5%BE%C3%ADn_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%c5%be%c3%adn)

          In regard to the name RAKOCZ, it appears to be a somewhat common name, so
          you need to take care to make sure that you have the correct village.
          There is one village which was called RAKOCZ in Hungarian that is known under
          the present name RAKOVCIK in the SARIS region of Slovakia. It is immediate
          adjacent to and west of to the village of DUPLIN. When searching for this
          village online, you may need to use the name with it diacritical marks:
          _Rakovčík_
          (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x473e9e96e6c58bb9:0xf047b08722b5dc3d&q=rakovcik+slovakia&hl=en&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=MKIEUcCPJqfywQHFp
          YDwDg&sig2=9u1ghMNNSt-KQnoXgH7APg)

          Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for RAKOVCIK:

          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%C4%8D%C3%ADk_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%c4%8d%c3%adk)

          Here is also a link to the village website:

          _http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/_ (http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/)

          Please be careful, however, because there is also another village, which
          was known as RAKOCZ in Hungarian, and which is present known as RAKOVEC NAD
          ONDAVOU (which is about 3 villages north of LUZIN). Here is a link to the
          Wikipedia page:

          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou)

          Here is the link to the village website in Slovakia:

          _http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/_
          (http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/)

          With regard to the village of RAKOCZ, you may have a bit of a puzzle on
          your hands, and may need to research the records of both places. Please be
          very careful because sometimes certain surnames may appear in several places,
          and you want to be careful not to go on any wild goose chase. Sometimes,
          the genealogical puzzles can be fun; other times, they can be frustrating.
          I hope that this helps a little.

          Best regards,

          David

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hi Peter & David,

            Yes - Duplin & Rakovcik are both in Saris. I have been working on my family tree for a long time and I do have my ancestors documented in both towns as well as my husband's ancestors in Lozin (Zemplin County). In case there are any new comers the names I am researching are PUNDCZAK (Duplin), KUNDRAT (Rakovcik) and ANDRAS or ANDRASOV (Lozin or Suche).

            Thank you for the suggestions regarding town websites. I will report back what I find! This group has been very helpful to me in the past and I do read every post!

            Martha