[S-R] Re: TRISIK/ TRISICK / TRESICK / TURAK relatives

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
      Bette, I'm not sure I understand Larry's comments but I did make a mistake about the first baptism record I sent you. There is a second baptism record for another Ferencz Triscsik who was born on October 1, 1879 in Jernye (Jarovnice). This one is more likely your ancestor and the date of his birth is more consistent with your information. sorry for my earlier mistake. Here is a link to the record.

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18045-83550-12?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TSS:n1550137223

      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

      > Bette
      >
      >  I think you should look seriously into what Frank mentioned.
      >
      >  He has a way of looking at the big picture.
      >

      >  Frank is also spelled Frantisek. Slovak, being a spoken language, is more about how words sound than how they are put to paper.
      >
      >  There are also problems translating Slavic languages  into English.
      >
      >   So, an immigrant,  saying the word Frantisek could very easily have been interpreted as Frank trisik.
      >
      >  Maybe nothing is going to make much sense without some kind of documentaion from the old country.
      >
      >  larry

    • Bette
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
        Hi CurtB,
        Thanks so much for replying with that info and I plan to continue looking in those records again. It's nice to have someone confirm that I seem to be on the right track.
        Thanks,
        Bette Triscik

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:

> [...]
        > > Oct.1878-81 - Feb. 8, 1917 in order to confirm the information that I
        > > believe is correct regarding the below:
        > >
        > > 1. Confirmation of his date/ year of birth
        > >
        > > 2. Confirmation that he was born in JERNE, AUSTRIA / HUNGARY
        > >
        > > 3. Confirmation that ELIZABETH TRESCIK (1877-1931) who married ANDREW
        > > TURAK (1872 - 1952) is FRANK TRISIK'S sister (they lived in the same
        > > area of IOWA at the same time as FRANK TRISIK and his family did. Both
        > > Elizabeth and Andrew also lived in PITTSBURGH, PA and both listed
        > > YARONICE C SLOVAKIA as their birth places.
        > >
        > > 4. Confirmation of FRANK TRISIK's parents names as METZ OR NATHAN
        > > TRISIK & ANNA UNDERICO. They were listed as being Frank's parents
        > > from AUSTRIA on Frank's marriage certificate.
        > >
        > > 7. Any other relevant info regarding Slovak first name & spelling of
        > > surname for FRANK TRISIK, when and where he came to the USA, when he was

      • Bette
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
          Thanks again, Curt. That's good to know.
          Bette

        • Bette
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hi Frank,
            Thanks for replying and reminding me of that. I have been concentrating on his records in US which have been Frank and now am going to try to go back to Europe.
            Bette

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" wrote:

            > Bette,
            >

            > While this may not mean much it struck me as unusual.
            >

            > You are looking for Frank Triscik.
            >
            > The Slovak name for Frank/Francis is Frantiscki.
            >

            > Maybe close and maybe no prize. Just an observation.
            >

            > Frank
            >

            > _____

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
              In Curt's later find, the record shows Ferencz with his father's name
              TRISCSIK Nejtusz.

              Both names appear to use Hungarian spelling. The CS and SZ blends.
              So TRIS-CSIK would of been pronounced TRISH-CHIK and NEJTUSZ as NAYTUS.

              Seems a close confirmation of your point:
              > > 4. Confirmation of FRANK TRISIK's parents names as METZ OR NATHAN
              > > TRISIK & ANNA UNDERICO. They were listed as being Frank's parents
              > > from AUSTRIA on Frank's marriage certificate.

              Although I have never heard of Nejtusz as a Christian name, it seems
              probable that Nathan=Nejtus.

              Peter M.

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                Also Nejtusz wife ONDERCSO Anna, in Hungarian pronounciation would be
                ONDER-CHO.

                For the record, it was Carl's find and not CurtB. Apologies to Carl.

                Peter M.

              • Bette
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Hi Larry,
                  I thought of that as I have a list of Common Slovak to English names, but I have not found any other name that could be a Surname.

                  When Frank enlisted in the Army, his record said his place of birth was Jerne, Switzerland, but as a Speech Therapist (now retired), I was used to working with ESL adults and have done a lot of accent improvement/ reduction with them. So I thought maybe he said Slovak-land and they thought he said Switzerland. That is the main reason that I thought his place of birth was Jernye/ Jarovnice. On the 1920 census for Elizabeth Tresick Turak and Andrew Turak, Slovakland was written as their place of birth, Slovak was their Mother Tongue.

                  You all are giving me such good help and encouragement and so promptly, I cannot believe it. I have written to people on Ancestry and it takes months for them to reply. This is really nice...
                  Thanks to all who are responding.
                  Bette Triscik

                • Bette
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Hi Carl,
                    You found him!!!I can't believe it was so fast.
                    I wrote a big thank you post to all of you for helping me find my grandfather, FRANK TRISIK AKA FERENCZ TRISCSIK and I don't think it posted. I got a message about an error.
                    I wrote that I had been looking at those records on familysearch for about 3 or 4 weeks and was figuring out what it all meant , but the records in Latin or German were easier for me.
                    I can't believe it was so fast. In less than 24 hours after my 1st post on Slovak-Roots, I found my grandfather!! You are all great and it was a fantastic collaborative
                    effort.
                    I now can go on to find out more about his parents, and brother / sister. I may need more help then.
                    What are the 2 columns after the town of birth or baptism? Is the next one for Godparents?
                    Now I have to call my sisters and sons to tell them the news.
                    My dad was 3 when his mother died and 6 when Frank died and he could not remember either of them. He knew a little about them but always wanted to know more. Even though Daddy has been dead for over 20 years, I am so happy to have found our Slovak Roots :D
                    Thank again,
                    Bette Triscik

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" wrote:

                    > Bette, I'm not sure I understand Larry's comments but I did make a mistake about the first baptism record I sent you. There is a second baptism record for another Ferencz Triscsik who was born on October 1, 1879 in Jernye (Jarovnice). This one is more likely your ancestor and the date of his birth is more consistent with your information. sorry for my earlier mistake. Here is a link to the record.
                    >
                    > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18045-83550-12?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TSS:n1550137223
                    >
                    > CK
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Bette
                    > >
                    > >  I think you should look seriously into what Frank mentioned.
                    > >
                    > >  He has a way of looking at the big picture.
                    > >

                    > >  Frank is also spelled Frantisek. Slovak, being a spoken language, is more about how words sound than how they are put to paper.
                    > >
                    > >  There are also problems translating Slavic languages  into English.
                    > >
                    > >   So, an immigrant,  saying the word Frantisek could very easily have been interpreted as Frank trisik.
                    > >
                    > >  Maybe nothing is going to make much sense without some kind of documentaion from the old country.
                    > >
                    > >  larry

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Bette,
                      Glad that we've helped.

                      After the Location column are the Sponsors or God Parents, their Surname,
                      Christian name, work and religion. Next column is the name of the
                      priest/scribe, followed by Notes. That would be accurate for this time
                      frame up to 1895 when the Hungarian government went with civil
                      registrations but used the church records prior to this date.
                      The Hungarian-nes of some of these records in present day Slovakia was due
                      to 'Magyarization' where the Hungarian government closed 'ethnic' schools
                      and settled Hungarians into traditional 'ethnic' villages throughout the
                      old country. Magyarization included present day Slovakia, Romania,
                      Slovenia, Italy, Moldavia, Ukraine, Serbia et.al. It was a pro-Nationalist
                      reaction against Austria who wanted to replace around 16 different
                      languages in the Austro-Hungarian empire with German in official
                      communications. This happened from 1869 onwards as an edict from the
                      government to all churches and official institutions. So some names were
                      written in Hungarian spelling, which in your case is a bit of an advantage
                      as it shows pronunciation. You would have to work backwards to see if the
                      name did change in spelling ~ I am often wrong.
                      The result of this (keeping on genealogy) is that the Hungarian spelling
                      stuck in some instances, so that factor added to the variation of names.
                      There is no guarantee about literacy and/or dialect either, so the scribe
                      may write the name as it sounded, or mis-transcribed the name from an
                      earlier record.
                      Your scribe was Hungarian (check image 200 - page now in Latin) where he
                      wrote the names in Magyar eg TERESZKO instead of TERESKO and so on.

                      Peter M

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Betty,

                        In the Slovak Pride DB we have 2 people listing Ondercso from Jarovnice
                        get back to me if you would like their contact information.

                        helene
                        helenezx@...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                          Thanks Helene,
                          Yes I would like their contact info.
                          Thanks, Bette
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux wrote:

                          > Betty,
                          >
                          > In the Slovak Pride DB we have 2 people listing Ondercso from Jarovnice
                          > get back to me if you would like their contact information.
                          >
                          > helene
                          > helenezx@...

                        • Richard Ganofsky
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                            I know a guy and he is searching a family named TRUSNIK

                            You think it can be a variation?????