Re: [S-R] Vilo

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 24, 2013
      Bill, I hope you don't leave, the group would lose a great resource. I
      know how you feel, there's so much going on it seems like no one is
      listening. I learn something from each posting, but don't respond unless I have
      something truly good to contribute in an attempt to keep the "noise" down.
      Tom Kukuk

      In a message dated 1/23/2013 5:22:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      deanniew@... writes:

      Yes, I too Vilo, have learned much from your contributions to S-R. It
      seems most everyone knows much more than I! Thank you for helping us
      all.
      Deanie
      On Jan 23, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Carol wrote:

      > I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. I have been unable to
      > work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major
      > illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost
      > of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge
      > and input. Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point? I would like
      > that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.
      > Thanks for your information and points of view. Carol

    • martha.andras
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
        Hi!

        I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
        (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found anything.

        Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

        Martha Andras
      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
          Hello Martha,

          Your best bet is to look at this site, select the letter the village/town
          name begins with and look through the list as there can be a number of
          villages with the same name in different counties:

          http://www.cisarik.com/0_all-villages-A.html

          Once you are sure that it's the right place, then google/bing search it.
          Some villages are so small that there may not be a website devoted to it.
          Duplin I think is one of these.
          Lozin: http://www.obeclozin.sk/-home
          Rakovčík: http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/en

          Sometimes Wikipedia has a link to the home town page as well - or some of
          the accomodation directories.

          Peter M.

          On 27 January 2013 09:23, martha.andras <mandras@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi!
          >
          > I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
          > (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are
          > websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my
          > ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found
          > anything.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
          >
          > Martha Andras

        • davidsadventure4
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
            Dear Martha:

            I believe that the village of DUPLIN in the Presov region of Slovakia was
            called Bányavölgy in Hungarian. The Hungarian name means "Valley of the
            Mine". Here is a link to the Wikipedia page in Hungarian:

            _http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nyav%C3%B6lgy_
            (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%c3%a1nyav%c3%b6lgy)

            If you use Google.com to get to the Wikipedia page, Google should be able
            to translate it automatically. Otherwise, you can use Google translate to
            do the same. I have done a lot of historical research on a number of
            villages in the territory of present-day Slovakia. For whatever reason, when I
            cannot locate the village websites, etc. under the Slovak name, I often find
            success locating information about the village under its Hungarian name.

            With regard to the village of LOZIN in Slovakia, you may need to do your
            searching with the diacritical marks in its name -- _Ložín_
            (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x47392b89ded85bdd:0x400f7d1c6974d80&q=lozin&hl=en&ve
            d=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=zJ4EUbKbJeaEwQG2_IHIBQ&sig2=7SrTRRhwIS94iNPaPG9dig) .
            Here is a link to the page for LOZIN in Wikipedia:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%C5%BE%C3%ADn_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%c5%be%c3%adn)

            In regard to the name RAKOCZ, it appears to be a somewhat common name, so
            you need to take care to make sure that you have the correct village.
            There is one village which was called RAKOCZ in Hungarian that is known under
            the present name RAKOVCIK in the SARIS region of Slovakia. It is immediate
            adjacent to and west of to the village of DUPLIN. When searching for this
            village online, you may need to use the name with it diacritical marks:
            _Rakovčík_
            (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x473e9e96e6c58bb9:0xf047b08722b5dc3d&q=rakovcik+slovakia&hl=en&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=MKIEUcCPJqfywQHFp
            YDwDg&sig2=9u1ghMNNSt-KQnoXgH7APg)

            Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for RAKOVCIK:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%C4%8D%C3%ADk_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%c4%8d%c3%adk)

            Here is also a link to the village website:

            _http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/_ (http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/)

            Please be careful, however, because there is also another village, which
            was known as RAKOCZ in Hungarian, and which is present known as RAKOVEC NAD
            ONDAVOU (which is about 3 villages north of LUZIN). Here is a link to the
            Wikipedia page:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou)

            Here is the link to the village website in Slovakia:

            _http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/_
            (http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/)

            With regard to the village of RAKOCZ, you may have a bit of a puzzle on
            your hands, and may need to research the records of both places. Please be
            very careful because sometimes certain surnames may appear in several places,
            and you want to be careful not to go on any wild goose chase. Sometimes,
            the genealogical puzzles can be fun; other times, they can be frustrating.
            I hope that this helps a little.

            Best regards,

            David

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
              Hi Peter & David,

              Yes - Duplin & Rakovcik are both in Saris. I have been working on my family tree for a long time and I do have my ancestors documented in both towns as well as my husband's ancestors in Lozin (Zemplin County). In case there are any new comers the names I am researching are PUNDCZAK (Duplin), KUNDRAT (Rakovcik) and ANDRAS or ANDRASOV (Lozin or Suche).

              Thank you for the suggestions regarding town websites. I will report back what I find! This group has been very helpful to me in the past and I do read every post!

              Martha