Re: [S-R] Vilo

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
      I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving.  I have been unable to work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge and input.  Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point?  I would like that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.  Thanks for your information and points of view.    Carol

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

        Thanks for the info, John.  I was worried about the docs, too.

        Are there any known resources online for information on Ukraine like we have for Slovakia.  I'm thinking of things like online phonebooks or church records or e-mail lists such as this one.

        familysearch.org has Greek Catholic records for Ukraine, but they don't seem very complete.  Has anyone every used them and how useful are they?

        Thanks.
        David

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
          Pinpointing the villages was very helpful. My ancestral village now
          Cierne Pole was then Feketemezo. So the only info. I currently have
          is from cousins in Slovakia, and that info. doesn't go back as far as
          I need. I believe Bill Tarkulich pointed this out several years ago.
          Guess I've hit the brick wall if it depends upon gleaning any data
          from Ukraine.
          Bernardine (Deann
          ie)

        • Bernardine Weigand
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
            Yes, I too Vilo, have learned much from your contributions to S-R. It
            seems most everyone knows much more than I! Thank you for helping us
            all.
            Deanie
            On Jan 23, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Carol wrote:

            > I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. I have been unable to
            > work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major
            > illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost
            > of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge
            > and input. Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point? I would like
            > that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.
            > Thanks for your information and points of view. Carol

          • takukuk
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 24, 2013
              Bill, I hope you don't leave, the group would lose a great resource. I
              know how you feel, there's so much going on it seems like no one is
              listening. I learn something from each posting, but don't respond unless I have
              something truly good to contribute in an attempt to keep the "noise" down.
              Tom Kukuk

              In a message dated 1/23/2013 5:22:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              deanniew@... writes:

              Yes, I too Vilo, have learned much from your contributions to S-R. It
              seems most everyone knows much more than I! Thank you for helping us
              all.
              Deanie
              On Jan 23, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Carol wrote:

              > I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. I have been unable to
              > work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major
              > illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost
              > of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge
              > and input. Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point? I would like
              > that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.
              > Thanks for your information and points of view. Carol

            • martha.andras
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                Hi!

                I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
                (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found anything.

                Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

                Martha Andras
              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Hello Martha,

                  Your best bet is to look at this site, select the letter the village/town
                  name begins with and look through the list as there can be a number of
                  villages with the same name in different counties:

                  http://www.cisarik.com/0_all-villages-A.html

                  Once you are sure that it's the right place, then google/bing search it.
                  Some villages are so small that there may not be a website devoted to it.
                  Duplin I think is one of these.
                  Lozin: http://www.obeclozin.sk/-home
                  Rakovčík: http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/en

                  Sometimes Wikipedia has a link to the home town page as well - or some of
                  the accomodation directories.

                  Peter M.

                  On 27 January 2013 09:23, martha.andras <mandras@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
                  > (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are
                  > websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my
                  > ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found
                  > anything.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
                  >
                  > Martha Andras

                • davidsadventure4
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Dear Martha:

                    I believe that the village of DUPLIN in the Presov region of Slovakia was
                    called Bányavölgy in Hungarian. The Hungarian name means "Valley of the
                    Mine". Here is a link to the Wikipedia page in Hungarian:

                    _http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nyav%C3%B6lgy_
                    (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%c3%a1nyav%c3%b6lgy)

                    If you use Google.com to get to the Wikipedia page, Google should be able
                    to translate it automatically. Otherwise, you can use Google translate to
                    do the same. I have done a lot of historical research on a number of
                    villages in the territory of present-day Slovakia. For whatever reason, when I
                    cannot locate the village websites, etc. under the Slovak name, I often find
                    success locating information about the village under its Hungarian name.

                    With regard to the village of LOZIN in Slovakia, you may need to do your
                    searching with the diacritical marks in its name -- _Ložín_
                    (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x47392b89ded85bdd:0x400f7d1c6974d80&q=lozin&hl=en&ve
                    d=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=zJ4EUbKbJeaEwQG2_IHIBQ&sig2=7SrTRRhwIS94iNPaPG9dig) .
                    Here is a link to the page for LOZIN in Wikipedia:

                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%C5%BE%C3%ADn_
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%c5%be%c3%adn)

                    In regard to the name RAKOCZ, it appears to be a somewhat common name, so
                    you need to take care to make sure that you have the correct village.
                    There is one village which was called RAKOCZ in Hungarian that is known under
                    the present name RAKOVCIK in the SARIS region of Slovakia. It is immediate
                    adjacent to and west of to the village of DUPLIN. When searching for this
                    village online, you may need to use the name with it diacritical marks:
                    _Rakovčík_
                    (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x473e9e96e6c58bb9:0xf047b08722b5dc3d&q=rakovcik+slovakia&hl=en&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=MKIEUcCPJqfywQHFp
                    YDwDg&sig2=9u1ghMNNSt-KQnoXgH7APg)

                    Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for RAKOVCIK:

                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%C4%8D%C3%ADk_
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%c4%8d%c3%adk)

                    Here is also a link to the village website:

                    _http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/_ (http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/)

                    Please be careful, however, because there is also another village, which
                    was known as RAKOCZ in Hungarian, and which is present known as RAKOVEC NAD
                    ONDAVOU (which is about 3 villages north of LUZIN). Here is a link to the
                    Wikipedia page:

                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou_
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou)

                    Here is the link to the village website in Slovakia:

                    _http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/_
                    (http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/)

                    With regard to the village of RAKOCZ, you may have a bit of a puzzle on
                    your hands, and may need to research the records of both places. Please be
                    very careful because sometimes certain surnames may appear in several places,
                    and you want to be careful not to go on any wild goose chase. Sometimes,
                    the genealogical puzzles can be fun; other times, they can be frustrating.
                    I hope that this helps a little.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Hi Peter & David,

                      Yes - Duplin & Rakovcik are both in Saris. I have been working on my family tree for a long time and I do have my ancestors documented in both towns as well as my husband's ancestors in Lozin (Zemplin County). In case there are any new comers the names I am researching are PUNDCZAK (Duplin), KUNDRAT (Rakovcik) and ANDRAS or ANDRASOV (Lozin or Suche).

                      Thank you for the suggestions regarding town websites. I will report back what I find! This group has been very helpful to me in the past and I do read every post!

                      Martha