Re: [S-R] SIP hometown translation from manifests

  • Sandra & John Panzitta
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
      Gee, I am sorry to read you are leaving. I tend to just lurk on this group, but I appreciate and thank you for your past efforts.

      I wish you well,
      Sandra Panzitta

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
        I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving.  I have been unable to work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge and input.  Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point?  I would like that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.  Thanks for your information and points of view.    Carol

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

          Thanks for the info, John.  I was worried about the docs, too.

          Are there any known resources online for information on Ukraine like we have for Slovakia.  I'm thinking of things like online phonebooks or church records or e-mail lists such as this one.

          familysearch.org has Greek Catholic records for Ukraine, but they don't seem very complete.  Has anyone every used them and how useful are they?

          Thanks.
          David

          ________________________________
          I am really glad that you pinpointed the villages. I was just going along the same path on the 1910 Ung Megye map.

          That's the good news. Now comes the letdown. Access to the records in Ukraine is a lost cause in my opinion. However, rooting around in a group dedicated to research in Ukraine may prove me wrong.

          The relevant governemnt archive is in Uzhorod. mailto:zak_archiv%40ukr.net
          The director is (or was) Mykhailo Vasyl'ovych Delehan mailto:arhiv_uzh%40ukr.net

          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, David Colello wrote:

          > ย
          > Thanks for the help.
          > ย
          > After scouring several resources, I've found it!ย  Been searching for years and finally got the breakthrough.
          > ย
          > The key resource was the radixhub 1913 gazeteer of Hungarian towns in Ung county.
          > ย
          > Here are the equivalences:
          > ย
          > - Kis Turjassek is really Kisturjaszรถg (current day Turychky, Ukraine), which is actually northeast of Uzhorod, not to the west.
          > - Kuruczvar is just as it is...Kuruczvar on the Ung county map.
          > - Liporvecz (?) is Lypovets, which was Hars on the Ung county map.
          > ย
          > All 3 of these villages are right next to each other and near Likitsary, which matches with the "Lekizar" that my grandmother has mentioned in the past.
          > ย
          > Anyway...now onto searching through any church records I can find.
          > ย
          > Thanks.
          > David
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Bernardine Weigand
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
            Pinpointing the villages was very helpful. My ancestral village now
            Cierne Pole was then Feketemezo. So the only info. I currently have
            is from cousins in Slovakia, and that info. doesn't go back as far as
            I need. I believe Bill Tarkulich pointed this out several years ago.
            Guess I've hit the brick wall if it depends upon gleaning any data
            from Ukraine.
            Bernardine (Deann
            ie)

          • Bernardine Weigand
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
              Yes, I too Vilo, have learned much from your contributions to S-R. It
              seems most everyone knows much more than I! Thank you for helping us
              all.
              Deanie
              On Jan 23, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Carol wrote:

              > I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. I have been unable to
              > work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major
              > illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost
              > of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge
              > and input. Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point? I would like
              > that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.
              > Thanks for your information and points of view. Carol

            • takukuk
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 24, 2013
                Bill, I hope you don't leave, the group would lose a great resource. I
                know how you feel, there's so much going on it seems like no one is
                listening. I learn something from each posting, but don't respond unless I have
                something truly good to contribute in an attempt to keep the "noise" down.
                Tom Kukuk

                In a message dated 1/23/2013 5:22:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                deanniew@... writes:

                Yes, I too Vilo, have learned much from your contributions to S-R. It
                seems most everyone knows much more than I! Thank you for helping us
                all.
                Deanie
                On Jan 23, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Carol wrote:

                > I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. I have been unable to
                > work much on my own genealogy due to family and friends' major
                > illnesses which have taken most of my time, but I do read over maost
                > of the in-coming messages and have enjoyed your wealth of knowledge
                > and input. Perhaps you'll reconsider at some point? I would like
                > that you would be there when I am able to return to my quest.
                > Thanks for your information and points of view. Carol

              • martha.andras
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Hi!

                  I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
                  (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found anything.

                  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

                  Martha Andras
                • htcstech
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Hello Martha,

                    Your best bet is to look at this site, select the letter the village/town
                    name begins with and look through the list as there can be a number of
                    villages with the same name in different counties:

                    http://www.cisarik.com/0_all-villages-A.html

                    Once you are sure that it's the right place, then google/bing search it.
                    Some villages are so small that there may not be a website devoted to it.
                    Duplin I think is one of these.
                    Lozin: http://www.obeclozin.sk/-home
                    Rakovčík: http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/en

                    Sometimes Wikipedia has a link to the home town page as well - or some of
                    the accomodation directories.

                    Peter M.

                    On 27 January 2013 09:23, martha.andras <mandras@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Hi!
                    >
                    > I noticed that someone posted a website for the town of Jarovnice
                    > (www.jarovnice.ocu.sk). I am wondering if anyone knows if there are
                    > websites for the towns of Lozin, Duplin and Rakocz? That is where my
                    > ancestors are from. I've searched the internet many times but haven't found
                    > anything.
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
                    >
                    > Martha Andras

                  • davidsadventure4
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Dear Martha:

                      I believe that the village of DUPLIN in the Presov region of Slovakia was
                      called Bányavölgy in Hungarian. The Hungarian name means "Valley of the
                      Mine". Here is a link to the Wikipedia page in Hungarian:

                      _http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nyav%C3%B6lgy_
                      (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%c3%a1nyav%c3%b6lgy)

                      If you use Google.com to get to the Wikipedia page, Google should be able
                      to translate it automatically. Otherwise, you can use Google translate to
                      do the same. I have done a lot of historical research on a number of
                      villages in the territory of present-day Slovakia. For whatever reason, when I
                      cannot locate the village websites, etc. under the Slovak name, I often find
                      success locating information about the village under its Hungarian name.

                      With regard to the village of LOZIN in Slovakia, you may need to do your
                      searching with the diacritical marks in its name -- _Ložín_
                      (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x47392b89ded85bdd:0x400f7d1c6974d80&q=lozin&hl=en&ve
                      d=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=zJ4EUbKbJeaEwQG2_IHIBQ&sig2=7SrTRRhwIS94iNPaPG9dig) .
                      Here is a link to the page for LOZIN in Wikipedia:

                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%C5%BE%C3%ADn_
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo%c5%be%c3%adn)

                      In regard to the name RAKOCZ, it appears to be a somewhat common name, so
                      you need to take care to make sure that you have the correct village.
                      There is one village which was called RAKOCZ in Hungarian that is known under
                      the present name RAKOVCIK in the SARIS region of Slovakia. It is immediate
                      adjacent to and west of to the village of DUPLIN. When searching for this
                      village online, you may need to use the name with it diacritical marks:
                      _Rakovčík_
                      (https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x473e9e96e6c58bb9:0xf047b08722b5dc3d&q=rakovcik+slovakia&hl=en&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=MKIEUcCPJqfywQHFp
                      YDwDg&sig2=9u1ghMNNSt-KQnoXgH7APg)

                      Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for RAKOVCIK:

                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%C4%8D%C3%ADk_
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakov%c4%8d%c3%adk)

                      Here is also a link to the village website:

                      _http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/_ (http://www.saris.eu.sk/rakovcik/)

                      Please be careful, however, because there is also another village, which
                      was known as RAKOCZ in Hungarian, and which is present known as RAKOVEC NAD
                      ONDAVOU (which is about 3 villages north of LUZIN). Here is a link to the
                      Wikipedia page:

                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou_
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakovec_nad_Ondavou)

                      Here is the link to the village website in Slovakia:

                      _http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/_
                      (http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/)

                      With regard to the village of RAKOCZ, you may have a bit of a puzzle on
                      your hands, and may need to research the records of both places. Please be
                      very careful because sometimes certain surnames may appear in several places,
                      and you want to be careful not to go on any wild goose chase. Sometimes,
                      the genealogical puzzles can be fun; other times, they can be frustrating.
                      I hope that this helps a little.

                      Best regards,

                      David

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Hi Peter & David,

                        Yes - Duplin & Rakovcik are both in Saris. I have been working on my family tree for a long time and I do have my ancestors documented in both towns as well as my husband's ancestors in Lozin (Zemplin County). In case there are any new comers the names I am researching are PUNDCZAK (Duplin), KUNDRAT (Rakovcik) and ANDRAS or ANDRASOV (Lozin or Suche).

                        Thank you for the suggestions regarding town websites. I will report back what I find! This group has been very helpful to me in the past and I do read every post!

                        Martha