Re: [S-R] Re: Translation Help

  • Sandra & John Panzitta
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 18, 2013
      I was also thinking perhaps it isn't a village name, but rather "doesn't know" or "unknown". Something other than a place name.

      On Jan 18, 2013, at 3:58 PM, Sandra & John Panzitta wrote:

      > Unfortunately that image was printed from a negative film microfilm. The image appears just as my hard copy. I was hoping it would be Vlaca, but even squinting, I don't see it.
      >

      > On Jan 18, 2013, at 3:54 PM, John wrote:
      >
      >> Is there any way that you can sharpen up the focus?
      >>
      >> None of the letters extend below the line. That suggests a village name like Lucska, as an example.
      >>
      >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mygraytommy" wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Hi Group!
      >>>
      >>> I added a page to the photos section. It is from the Pennsylvania Slovak Roman and Greek Catholic Union insurance files of Andrew GACA.
      >>>
      >>> In section 5, I cannot make out the word written by "krajina". I thought maybe it was a village in Saros, but I didn't find any close matches. I also didn't find any matching words in dictionaries.
      >>>
      >>> Thank you in advance for your help!
      >>> Sandra Panzitta

    • MGMojher
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 6, 2014
        Eugene,
            In the 1995 Slovak Census the surnames Kladzan and Szkladani only have one listing each. Kladzan in eastern Slovakia, Michalovce, and Szklandani in western Slovakia, Bratislava.
            Family Search had no listing for Szklandani in Vinne. It did have some Kladzan in Vinne among 1353 listings for Kladzan - https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AKladzan~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22Slovakia%22

            Your Hladky in the 1995 census:
        Priezvisko HLADKY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        ŽIHÁREC,  okr. GALANTA (od  r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;
        VINNÉ,  okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

            Your Pikula in the 1995 census had 92 listings in 37 locations. The one that may be of interest to you is - LASTOMÍR,  okr. MICHALOVCE  that had 6 Pikula finds.

        Priezvisko PIKULA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 92×, celkový počet lokalít: 37, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

            The census had no listing for Labadov, one alternative was given -
        Priezvisko LABANOV sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
        HOLÍČ,  okr. SENICA (od  r. 1996 SKALICA) – 1×;

        Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 5:43 AM
        Subject: [S-R] Re: Translation Help

        An interesting name, "Georgius Szkladani " and year "1783" which caught my attention and  leaves me to wonder, given the rarity of the surname itself, if there might be a connection in any way between it and the "Kladzan" surname of my ancestor, Joannes Kladzan, found in the RC church records of village Vinne, Slovakia,1828, the year and place of his birth and baptism. The "Kladzan" spelling survived in my branch of the family until 1910 when it suddenly appeared as "Klodzen" in the US Census of that year. For us it's remained that way ever since, another branch of the family continues the "Kladzan" spelling .

        Eugene Klodzen
        Researching KLADZAN, HLADKY, PIKULA, LABADOV