Re: HNATYO Surname

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
      Someone has posted a genealogy of her on Ancestry.com with photos of her, her husband George Szvida and children, and claim her arrival was in New York aboard the Barbarosssa from port of Bremen May 20 1903 at her age of 16. The ship register lists her name as Anna Hnat, but the indexer read it as Huat, so check the indexes both ways.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" wrote:

      > I am having much difficulty with this surname. "HNATYO "
      >
      > Can anyone help with an allternate spelling or suggestion?
      >
      > George "Gyorgi" Szvida b. 23 Dec 1883 in Patskan'ovo, d. 13 Dec 1944 Detroit, MI
      > -arrived 26 May 1900 on SS Furst Bismarck
      > married: 11 Jul 1903 St. Elias Greek Catholic Church, Brooklyn, New York
      >
      > Anna Hnatyo b. 07 Oct 1886 Medvedevce (sp?), Czechoslovakia, d. 29 Mar 1931 Detroit, MI
      > -don't have any arrival info for her. According to 1910 Census, she arrived in 1902
      > 6 Children:
      >

      > Medvedevce could possibly be, Medvedzie (Current county: Zilina)

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
        Also Broske and recently from Brodske now in Skalica

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
          In the 1995 Slovak Census Hnat has 169 listings in 52 locations. And Hnat with an accent (‘) above the “a” had 230 listings in 58 locations.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
            Dennis,

            Are you finding that spelling with the yo ending in some record? That tree mentioned on ancestry doesn't show any evidence, yet it lists her parents names, too.

            TOM

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
              Orlov SL/PV šariš. po 1873 pričl. o. Andrejovka.
              1773 Orló, Orlow, 1786 Orló, 1808 Orló, Orlow, Orluw, 1863–1913 Orló, 1920– Orlov

              V obci ORLOV (okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najčastejšie tieto priezviská: HNATOVÁ 14×; HNAT 11×
              Hnat, Anna Orlyo 16 1887 1903

              This is the citation that CurtB mentioned. I think Orlyo is Orlov. I know the village, my paternal grandmother was born there, ŠČERBÁKOVÁ 18

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" wrote:

              > I am having much difficulty with this surname. "HNATYO "
              >
              > Can anyone help with an allternate spelling or suggestion?
              >
              > George "Gyorgi" Szvida b. 23 Dec 1883 in Patskan'ovo, d. 13 Dec 1944 Detroit, MI
              > -arrived 26 May 1900 on SS Furst Bismarck
              > married: 11 Jul 1903 St. Elias Greek Catholic Church, Brooklyn, New York
              >
              > Anna Hnatyo b. 07 Oct 1886 Medvedevce (sp?), Czechoslovakia, d. 29 Mar 1931 Detroit, MI
              > -don't have any arrival info for her. According to 1910 Census, she arrived in 1902
              > 6 Children:
              >

              > Medvedevce could possibly be, Medvedzie (Current county: Zilina)

            • patskanovo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 19, 2013
                Curt,

                Yes I saw the ancestry post...Her name was Anna Ihnatyo and I was way off locating her village.....turns out she was from Fagyalos or more recently Medvedivtsi, Zakarpats'ka oblast.

                The Anna Huat you mention from "Orlo" came on the Pretoria in 1904.

                Thanks,

                Dennis

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Tom,