Films at the FHC

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 1999
      Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
      there, even if you move.

      Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
      is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
      are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
      notification fee.

      Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
      further notification fee).

      After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
      meaning it stays at the local FHC.

      I keep on permanent loan those films that I know I will need over and
      over, such as the Sabinov records, NYC death indexes and indexes for
      Ireland Civil Registration. Other films I get what I need from it and
      let it go back. It depends on how much work you're doing and why you
      need the film.

      Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
      film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
      better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
      does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
      describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
      another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
      the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
      this and its been fine with the second copy.

      Remember that volunteers at the FHC may not know some of these things.
      Most people who work there are there because they are church members and
      may not even be doing genealogy at all. The non-members who volunteer
      (such as myself) will often know more as we are doing our own work.

      Many FHCs keep a list of persons who use the library often and where
      they are researching, so if someone at the FHC can't answer your
      questions you can contact them or email them with your question. I get
      people email me or come in the days I am working all the time as they
      know that I am the only person doing research in the Eastern Europe
      area, NYC and Ireland at our FHC. Every FHC is different, and you should
      do some research before you go about what you need. This to me is the
      greatest benefit of genealogy mailing lists, because you can find on
      here exact film #s etc of what you need, and go from there.

      There is a section on How to Use a FHC on my Hints website. If anyone
      has any specific questions, please check that page, then ask the list
      about it.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 1999
        This seems like a small price to pay, when we are doing what is virtually
        primary research on some of these obscure little settlements in Eastern
        Europe. I tmakes sense to keep the microfilm handy... but I will need to
        complete my personal move and find the nearest FHC before long!

        > Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
        > there, even if you move.
        >
        > Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
        > is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
        > are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
        > notification fee.
        >
        > Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
        > further notification fee).
        >
        > After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
        > meaning it stays at the local FHC.
        >
        > I keep on permanent loan those films that I know I will need over and
        > over, such as the Sabinov records, NYC death indexes and indexes for
        > Ireland Civil Registration. Other films I get what I need from it and
        > let it go back. It depends on how much work you're doing and why you
        > need the film.
        >
        > Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
        > film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
        > better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
        > does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
        > describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
        > another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
        > the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
        > this and its been fine with the second copy.
        >
        > Remember that volunteers at the FHC may not know some of these things.
        > Most people who work there are there because they are church members and
        > may not even be doing genealogy at all. The non-members who volunteer
        > (such as myself) will often know more as we are doing our own work.
        >
        > Many FHCs keep a list of persons who use the library often and where
        > they are researching, so if someone at the FHC can't answer your
        > questions you can contact them or email them with your question. I get
        > people email me or come in the days I am working all the time as they
        > know that I am the only person doing research in the Eastern Europe
        > area, NYC and Ireland at our FHC. Every FHC is different, and you should
        > do some research before you go about what you need. This to me is the
        > greatest benefit of genealogy mailing lists, because you can find on
        > here exact film #s etc of what you need, and go from there.
        >
        > There is a section on How to Use a FHC on my Hints website. If anyone
        > has any specific questions, please check that page, then ask the list
        > about it.
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        > sabinov@...
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        > Where do some of the Internet's largest email lists reside?
        > http://www.onelist.com
        > At ONElist - the most scalable and reliable service on the Internet.

      • Dollins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
          Maura --

          Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA, FHC
          that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
          there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)

          Anabeth Dollins
          axd2@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
            Anabeth,

            I am hearing sparodic reports that some FHCs are "discouraging"
            permanent loans, however that is NOT SLC policy. What SLC told every FHC
            is to go through their permanent collections and send back any films
            that no patron has used in quite awhile (but only after contacting the
            original person who ordered the film and getting their approval to
            return it).

            I have a friend in Georgia who has had a real problem with this issue at
            her FHC and even had to call SLC about it..... and SLC was not happy
            that her FHC was not allowing her to have the films she wanted in on
            permanent loan.

            The key is to be nice, but firm. If you can't get an answer, leave a
            note for the FHC director, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call
            or write to the stake president (who technically is in charge of the
            FHC).

            But hopefully you won't have a problem. If you do email me privately and
            I'll try and point you in the right direction.

            Maura

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
              Do you mind if I ask what kind of information is on these census films? Did
              they count everybody, and say something about where they lived, or what they
              did for a living? I assume this is already on Maura's or somebody's web
              page but I missed it. I did find a web page with a Hungarian census from
              1891 that lists all the small shopkeepers and craftsmen, and found a few
              family names.

              Andrea

              > Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA,
              FHC
              > that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
              > there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)
              >
              > Anabeth Dollins
              > axd2@...
              >

              > Maura wrote:
              >

              > Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
              > there, even if you move.
              >
              > Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
              > is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
              > are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
              > notification fee.
              >
              > Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
              > further notification fee).
              >
              > After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
              > meaning it stays at the local FHC.
              >

              > Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
              > film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
              > better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
              > does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
              > describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
              > another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
              > the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
              > this and its been fine with the second copy.

              > Attention ONElist list owners.
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option. See homepage for details.

            • Dollins
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 1999
                I didn't have time to study the films when they arrived. I'll have to borrow
                them again this fall after gardening season ends. The Brezova film was full
                of names I recognized from my Chicago childhood, along with about twenty
                columns for facts about each family: people, horses, sheep.

                Anabeth