Re: [S-R] Re: Brain Teaser

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
      Dear John:

      Sometimes, there can be a distance greater than a few villages away. In
      my own genealogical research, it took my a long while to trace my
      grandmother's village of origin because (1) the name of the village was in a
      different form and did not appear to match any village names that I was familiar
      with; and (2) I was looking only at villages in a close in proximity to the
      village where she lived when she was married. When I did find her village
      of origin, the information matched the information that I had about my
      grandmother (and her siblings, etc.), and also matched the stories that my
      father had relayed to me about his mother growing up in the Tatra Mountains.
      One's occupation may play a role in the distance.

      You may have already done it, but just in case, I would recommend that you
      look through additional pages in the church records to see if you might be
      able to better decipher the handwriting.

      I hope that everything else is going well for you, my friend, and wish you
      and your family a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

      Best regards,

      David

      In a message dated 1/5/2013 8:20:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      johnqadam@... writes:

      It is probably the best guess, albeit a considerable distance for someone
      to travel in those early days. Perhaps the church records are available to
      help solve the mystery.

      --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
      , "CurtB" wrote:

      > John,
      > It looks to me as Ocsvar, later it was called Olcvar, and today known as
      Košicke O¾šany. [kosicke olsany, without the diacritics] The village is
      not too far away, just east of Kosice.

      (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) , "John" wrote:

      > > In a marriage record for Mihaly Sztricsko, there is a village name
      that I can't figure out. It would seem that father Mihaly came from OSCVAI (or
      similar). The marriage is in Senne, Ung Megye, just south of Michalovce, 3
      km from Palin.

      > > Where was the elder Mihaly SZTRICSKO from? See entry #15.

      _https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330_
      (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330)

    • John
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
        I agree that proximity is usually a good indicator -- but not always. I have checked the RC church records for Kosicke Olsany for 10 years prior to the estimated year of birth and found no relevant birth record.

        Perhaps this mystery will remain unsolved.