Re: Brain Teaser

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
      John,
      It looks to me as Ocsvar, later it was called Olcvar, and today known as Košicke O¾šany. [kosicke olsany, without the diacritics] The village is not too far away, just east of Kosice.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

      > In a marriage record for Mihaly Sztricsko, there is a village name that I can't figure out. It would seem that father Mihaly came from OSCVAI (or similar). The marriage is in Senne, Ung Megye, just south of Michalovce, 3 km from Palin.
      >
      > Where was the elder Mihaly SZTRICSKO from? See entry #15.
      > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330

    • John
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
        It is probably the best guess, albeit a considerable distance for someone to travel in those early days. Perhaps the church records are available to help solve the mystery.

      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
          Dear John:

          Sometimes, there can be a distance greater than a few villages away. In
          my own genealogical research, it took my a long while to trace my
          grandmother's village of origin because (1) the name of the village was in a
          different form and did not appear to match any village names that I was familiar
          with; and (2) I was looking only at villages in a close in proximity to the
          village where she lived when she was married. When I did find her village
          of origin, the information matched the information that I had about my
          grandmother (and her siblings, etc.), and also matched the stories that my
          father had relayed to me about his mother growing up in the Tatra Mountains.
          One's occupation may play a role in the distance.

          You may have already done it, but just in case, I would recommend that you
          look through additional pages in the church records to see if you might be
          able to better decipher the handwriting.

          I hope that everything else is going well for you, my friend, and wish you
          and your family a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

          Best regards,

          David

          --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
            I agree that proximity is usually a good indicator -- but not always. I have checked the RC church records for Kosicke Olsany for 10 years prior to the estimated year of birth and found no relevant birth record.

            Perhaps this mystery will remain unsolved.