Re: Missing Online 1869 Census Records have restrictions

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      No, that logic doesn't wash either. The Dubravka film (as an example) is in the same archive as the other Zemplen films.

      Those of us who care can only access the info by ordering the film(s).

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" wrote:

      > John Q. et alia
      >
      > The logic of this is quite simple, though not immediately obvious. The creation of the online records has proceeded by archive location of the original because it is individual archives who actuallly give the permissions to online availability, though they often are dependent on national government policy. So, Zemplin census records that are located in certain archives in the Slovak Republic are online - the list is given in detail in the introduction to the census records in the Family History library. But records for those villages of that census that are in Hungarian archives are not. Neither are the villages whose records of that census are in the Presov archive in Slovakia. The Presov records may give permission but may not, because the archive is still trying to negotiate with Hungarian archives to return records for many Slovak villages which were supposed to have been returned after the Trianon treaty, but were not.
      >
      > The Hungarian government claims not to have such records, but some records of Hungarian archives have been filmed by LDS, e.g., the 1869 records of Esztergom, which also happen to contain records of two villages now in Slovakia. This record can also be borrowed in Family History libraries to see the census of those villages in western Slovakia also.
      >
      > The family history catalog indexes only give detailed information in the index of materials that are actually online. Just like village names are not listed for records for baptisms, etc. when those villages are not the primary location, and we are on our own to find out which other village they are included within.
      >
      > Contrary to speculation of some, the village you mentioned, Dubravka, was not of Hungarian ethnicity. It was and is primarily Rusyn and Greek Catholic but also a large Slovak population.
      >
      > Curt B.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
      > >
      > > Here's a strange response from LDS on the subject of 1869 Hungarian Census films that DO NOT appear online. The logic evades me.
      > >
      > > BTW, I used Dubravka, Zemplen Megye as an example in my query.
      > >
      > > ******
      > >
      > > Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding records from the 1869 Hungary Census, Zemplen that are recorded in the Catalog, but are not yet available online.
      > >
      > > We checked the film and discovered that the record custodians have restricted film number 722688 from online access at this time. You may order the film to a nearby FamilySearch Center by following the instructions in this link: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche. Please be sure to call the FamilySearch Center to assure that they have the equipment needed to view the film once it comes in.
      > >
      > > We hope this information is helpful in your understanding of our records. We wish you well in the New Year.

> [...]
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        Hello Curt.

        If the Hungarians have the missing records for some Slovak villages and the
        Slovaks refuse to give permission to release what they do have on-line then
        both are acting very childish in my opinion. If the Hungarians don't have
        the missing records, then, according to the current Slovak policy, no other
        records under their control will go on-line in the disputed territories.
        This is not a matter of missing sources. The original question was why
        Dubvravka is not available online. There was no satisfactory answer except
        that the physical films are available.
        For some reason, the Slovaks or Hungarians do not want the Dubravka records
        to go on-line. Whether this is some kind of Trump card the Slovaks are
        trying to play makes no sense.

        Peter M.

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          Peter,
          You seem determined not to understand.

          None of the 1869 census records that are in the Presov archive covering the Zemplin territory villages have been approved for online status. They are being reviewed NOW. They are likely to be approved for release. This is NOT a political decision. So far the only Slovak films specifically not released for online status have been films that contain data that exceed Slovak statute of limitations of information of 100 years.
          The Presov archive is very understaffed and has other projects to finish first.

          Each film must be reviewed by the holding archive of the original documents. It took several years for baptismal, marriage, death records to be reviewed and released, and so they appeared online sequentially village by village over several years as indexers carrried out their work. There is still more work to be done here on several villages.

          In the meantime people can still borrow the films already in existence so the data is not being held secret. The only related archives that decline to make anything available except by visit to the archive are a number in Hungary.
          The related archives of the Ukraine and Poland are also entirely unavailable except by personal visit.

          Slovakia is the rare exception among national archives that has made so much data available, but there is still a long way to go because it takes so large financial resources to film or place online such records. The family history library is maintained by the Mormon church which supplied the millions it required to produce the Slovak records online.

          CB

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > BTW, I used Dubravka, Zemplen Megye as an example in my query.
          > > >
          > > > ******
          > > >
          > > > Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding records from the 1869
          > > Hungary Census, Zemplen that are recorded in the Catalog, but are not yet
          > > available online.
          > > >
          > > > We checked the film and discovered that the record custodians have
          > > restricted film number 722688 from online access at this time. You may
          > > order the film to a nearby FamilySearch Center by following the
          > > instructions in this link:
          > > https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche.Please be sure to call the FamilySearch Center to assure that they have the
          > > equipment needed to view the film once it comes in.
          > > >
          > > > We hope this information is helpful in your understanding of our
          > > records. We wish you well in the New Year.

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
            Curt,
            I'm only reacting to what you wrote.

            I get the message that it is up to the overworked Presov archivists to
            eventually give licence to the LDS (who are paying for this), to place
            their whole region's census archive for 1869 on-line at once, after
            successful, policy inspired non-political negotiations with the Hungarian
            archivists. This is of course after they check the records that are in
            existence in at least 2 public archives already and then re-catalogue it.
            Sounds like a perfectly good bureaucracy.

            That's about it.

            Peter M.

          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
              >>> None of the 1869 census records that are in the Presov archive covering the Zemplin territory villages have been approved for online status. <<<

              That's not quite correct. SOME of the ZEMPLEN Megye films are available online. Because my particular interest is Dubravka, which is not online, I used it as an example in my query to LDS.

              I have not surveyed the online films to determine what proportion is currently online. Nor have I checked other counties for completeness of online listings.
            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                John,
                That's what I thought too, that there are already Zemplen records online
                and Dubravka missed out for some reason.
                Maybe an email to the Presov archive requesting them to allow the LDS to
                put it online might be a strategy. The LDS and Curt have suggested that the
                archive custodians have restricted access. I think it is your right to ask
                why.
                I'm waiting for Pozsony megye to come online, although I would want the
                whole of the pre-Trianon territories in a perfect world, fully and
                accurately indexed :) I haven't yet started on my mother's side and they
                stretch from Romania to the Ukraine. Maybe in another lifetime.

                Peter M.

                On 4 January 2013 23:55, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > **

                > covering the Zemplin territory villages have been approved for online
                > status. <<<
                >
                > That's not quite correct. SOME of the ZEMPLEN Megye films are available
                > online. Because my particular interest is Dubravka, which is not online, I
                > used it as an example in my query to LDS.
                >
                > I have not surveyed the online films to determine what proportion is
                > currently online. Nor have I checked other counties for completeness of
                > online listings.

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 13, 2013
                  To John,

                  I came across this:

                  Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén Megyei Levéltár, Sátoraljaújhelyi Fióklevéltár
                  [Archive of
                  county Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén in Sátoraljaújhely, HU]
                  www.bazleveltar.hu
                  3980 Sátoraljaújhely, Kossuth tér 5. Tel/fax: +36 47 521-087
                  E-mail: sauhely@...
                  XV./82. Zemplén vármegyei 1857. évi népszámlálási iratok gyűjteménye
                  [Collection of
                  population census from 1857 in county Zemplén]
                  17 villages from county Zemplén, at present 16 in Slovakia, 1 in Hungary

                  You can try to email them if the dates are still valid and ask what
                  resources they have about your town.

                  http://www.bazleveltar.hu/page.php?16

                  Peter M.