Re: Family Search on-line records

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi Nick,

      Happy New Year, first of all!

      I believe you have a typo and should be looking for Ruska Vola and not Ruska Vols.

      I can guess that LDS has revised their holdings to line up more with the Old County system, and you and I come from the area on the border of Old Spis and Old Saris counties, with my village split between the counties (Saris - Maly Sulin, Spis - Velky Sulin, today both simply Sulin) and your villages being nearby and solidly in Old Saris County.

      There is a good start looking at the Cisarik site
      http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ruska_Vola_nad_Popradom_Stara_Lubovna_PV_Saros_Saris.html

      I poked around the LDS site at
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM1Q-BD9%3An1376078761%3Fcc%3D1554443

      but had no luck at guessing which village may hold records for Ruska Vola. I hope someone else in an inspired (or knowledgeable spirit) move can directly answer your question.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

      > Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
        Nick & Ron,
        The Greek Catholic records of Ruska Vola are included with those of
        Circ.
        The Roman Catholic records are with Lubotin.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

        > Hi Nick,
        >
        > Happy New Year, first of all!
        >
        > I believe you have a typo and should be looking for Ruska Vola and not Ruska Vols.
        >
        > I can guess that LDS has revised their holdings to line up more with the Old County system, and you and I come from the area on the border of Old Spis and Old Saris counties, with my village split between the counties (Saris - Maly Sulin, Spis - Velky Sulin, today both simply Sulin) and your villages being nearby and solidly in Old Saris County.
        >
        > There is a good start looking at the Cisarik site
        > http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ruska_Vola_nad_Popradom_Stara_Lubovna_PV_Saros_Saris.html
        >
        > I poked around the LDS site at
        > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM1Q-BD9%3An1376078761%3Fcc%3D1554443
        >
        > but had no luck at guessing which village may hold records for Ruska Vola. I hope someone else in an inspired (or knowledgeable spirit) move can directly answer your question.
        >
        > Ron
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
          Thanks Ron and best wishes that 2013 will be a good year for you and yours.  I guess the challenge is what system to use in filing these villages ... under the current counties or the old counties under which the records were originally written.  Personally, I would file records under the geographic name they originated under.  And yes, there are those who may say that it is impossible to do so as the Austro-Hungarian Empire no longer exists.  Well, to that I would reply to have a file heading of Austro-Hungarian Empire.  But, no matter.  I will be happy if I can find the village and thankful the data is digitized.
          Nick

          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

          > Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
            https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM9MJ-FLN%3An1376078761%3Fcc%3D1554443

            This is a link to the Greek Catholic parishes in the district of Sabinov, where Circ and Ruska Vols nad Popradom are located. Circ is listed, since Ruska VnP is so near I think that is was most likely an affiliated parish to Circ.

            My ancestral village of Hromos is not far away. I have been to Circ during my trips to Slovakia.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
              Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Thank you.