Family Search on-line records

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
      Can anyone tell me if there has been a change in the on-line Greek Catholic records on Family Search for Slovakia, Stara L'ubovna, villages of Circ and Ruska Vols nad Popradom (a.k.a. Csircs and Orosz Vol'ya). Thank you. Nick
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
        I have recently been looking at the same records except for Sulin. What changes are you asking about?

        The only change I note from what they had years ago is that 1) it is indexed now and much easier to search for a name; 2) they totally changed the numbering system of the films, eg. what may have been 4406960_397 in 2010 may now be digital folder number: 004406960
        image number: 00397

        https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1554443

        Can you define what you think changed?

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me if there has been a change in the on-line Greek Catholic records on Family Search for Slovakia, Stara L'ubovna, villages of Circ and Ruska Vols nad Popradom (a.k.a. Csircs and Orosz Vol'ya). Thank you. Nick

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
          Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
            Hi Nick,

            Happy New Year, first of all!

            I believe you have a typo and should be looking for Ruska Vola and not Ruska Vols.

            I can guess that LDS has revised their holdings to line up more with the Old County system, and you and I come from the area on the border of Old Spis and Old Saris counties, with my village split between the counties (Saris - Maly Sulin, Spis - Velky Sulin, today both simply Sulin) and your villages being nearby and solidly in Old Saris County.

            There is a good start looking at the Cisarik site
            http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ruska_Vola_nad_Popradom_Stara_Lubovna_PV_Saros_Saris.html

            I poked around the LDS site at
            https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM1Q-BD9%3An1376078761%3Fcc%3D1554443

            but had no luck at guessing which village may hold records for Ruska Vola. I hope someone else in an inspired (or knowledgeable spirit) move can directly answer your question.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

            > Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
              Nick & Ron,
              The Greek Catholic records of Ruska Vola are included with those of
              Circ.
              The Roman Catholic records are with Lubotin.

              Curt B.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
                Thanks Ron and best wishes that 2013 will be a good year for you and yours.  I guess the challenge is what system to use in filing these villages ... under the current counties or the old counties under which the records were originally written.  Personally, I would file records under the geographic name they originated under.  And yes, there are those who may say that it is impossible to do so as the Austro-Hungarian Empire no longer exists.  Well, to that I would reply to have a file heading of Austro-Hungarian Empire.  But, no matter.  I will be happy if I can find the village and thankful the data is digitized.
                Nick

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

                > Sorry Ron, I should have been more specific.  What has changed is that I cannot find Orosz Vol'ya (now called Ruska Vols nad Popradom).  The other village, Cisrcs (now called Circ) has been moved under Sabinov county.  Both Circ and Ruska Vols were both under Stara L'ubovna county previously.   Nick

              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
                  https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM9MJ-FLN%3An1376078761%3Fcc%3D1554443

                  This is a link to the Greek Catholic parishes in the district of Sabinov, where Circ and Ruska Vols nad Popradom are located. Circ is listed, since Ruska VnP is so near I think that is was most likely an affiliated parish to Circ.

                  My ancestral village of Hromos is not far away. I have been to Circ during my trips to Slovakia.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Thank you.