Re: BLESKAN (BLESZKANY), TAPAK (TYAPAK), GAVALOK, (SMICOVIC) SIMKOVITS

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
      >>> Paulina's grandfather was Pavol or Paulos BLESZKANY, born 1812, married to Katerina TYAPAK; her great grandfather was Jan or Joanis BLESZKANY, married to Terezia SIMKOVITS.

      I am hoping that someone knows of this family and can provide me with further details. I would especially like to know how to find the death registrations of Michael BLESZKANY & his wife, Maria. <<<

      What religion? RC or Evangelical? Both sets of church records are available online.
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        >>> My grandmother was Paulina BLESZKANY, born 16 Apr 1892 in Dlha, nad Oravou, Dolny Kubin. She was the daughter of Michael BLESZKANY and Maria GAVALOK, the youngest of eight children. <<<

        Michael BLESZKANY and Maria GAVALOK lived at Dluha 127 and they were RC. Their church records are found online at

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22638-27665-32?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-MK3%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443

        Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Dolný KubínSedliacka Dubová
      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
          Hi Lynn,

          Not really relevant to your request, but it's always best to look at the actual record, not just a (partial) transcription:

          BLESKAN, Paulina, 11 y.o.is listed correctly as female [ " ,for "ditto" to the f above], from Dluha going to her sister BLESKAN, Anna in West Superior, Wisc. Paulina is accompanied by her brother...
          BLESKAN, Ondrej, 25 y.o. M(married), but going to the same sister, not a wife. And he was previously in West Superior, Wisc, 18__- 03.
          ---------------
          I don't see the other brother listed?

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Lynne Leard <lynne.leard@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am new to this list but not to family history research. My grandmother was Paulina BLESZKANY, born 16 Apr 1892 in Dlha, nad Oravou, Dolny Kubin. She was the daughter of Michael BLESZKANY and Maria GAVALOK, the youngest of eight children. The story is that Paulina was the last child at home when her father, who owned a smokehouse, died suddenly at a young age and shortly thereafter her mother was found dead in the smokehouse, likely an act of despondence. Two of Paulina's brothers who had already emigrated to Wisconsin, USA returned to Dolny Kubin to bring Paulina home with them. Paulina and her brothers are listed on the ship's manifest at Ellis Island that shows:
          >
          > Name: BLESKAN, Paulina
          > Ethnicity: Hungary, Slovak
          > Place of residence: Dluha
          > Date of arrival: April 6, 1904
          > Age on Arrival: 11y
          > Gender: M (!)
          > Marital status: S
          > Ship of Travel: Kaiser Wilhelm II
          > Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
          >

          > Paulina's grandfather was Pavol or Paulos BLESZKANY, born 1812, married to Katerina TYAPAK; her great grandfather was Jan or Joanis BLESZKANY, married to Terezia SIMKOVITS.
          >
          > I am hoping that someone knows of this family and can provide me with further details. I would especially like to know how to find the death registrations of Michael BLESZKANY & his wife, Maria.
          >

          > Paulina travelled from Wisconsin to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada with a friend to attend the wedding of another friend and stayed on in Edmonton, marrying Frederic RITCHIE and having three children before his death in 1920. I have found a pocket of Bleskans in Alberta but have not been able to make a connection with my family.
          >
          > Thank you in advance for any information..............
          >
          > Lynne (Ritchie) Leard
          > Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            Looks like the other brother might have been Mike:
            1900 Census in Superior Wisconsin you can find
            - BLESKAN, Andrew, born Jan. 1878, immigrated 18?9?8 &
            - BLESKAN, Mike, born ?Dec.? 1881, immigrated 1900.
            Both were boarders with POLLACK, John and Mary and 2 young sons.

            There are also numerous records for others( BLESKAN, BLESZKANY, as well as other names ) from Dluha, immigrating, some to (W) Superior, Wisconsin and some to Whiting, Indiana.
            This would all be just in case you need to persue any other leads.

            TOM

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
              >>> Looks like the other brother might have been Mike:
              > 1900 Census in Superior Wisconsin you can find
              > - BLESKAN, Andrew, born Jan. 1878, immigrated 18?9?8 &
              > - BLESKAN, Mike, born ?Dec.? 1881, immigrated 1900.
              <<<

              Michael born 7 Feb 1881, Dluha 127. Page 251/747 RC church records
              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-27170-81?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687

              Andreas born 31 August 1878, Dluha 127. Page 241/747.
              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-27188-25?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687
            • John
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                Here is an indexed version of the online church records. It will help you to print this and note the section page numbers as you find relevant information.

                https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-27188-25?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-MK3%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443

                Birmovaní 1794, 1820
                Krsty 1829-1843, 1852-1897,1844-1851
                Manželstvá 1844-1851, 1866-1909
                Úmrtia 1833-1843, 1852-1873
                Manželstvá 1852-1866, 1873-1897
                Úmrtia 1873-1897
                Birmovaní 1874, 1886 –

                Krsty 1699-1724
                Manželstvá 1697-1726
                Krsty 1724-1727
                Úmrtia 1698-1723 -
                Úmrtia 1776-1819 -
                Úmrtia 1819-1833
                Úmrtia 1823-1827

                Krsty 1727-1776
                Manželstvá 1727-1775
                Úmrtia 1727-1774
                Krsty 1776-1829
                Manželstvá 1776-1843

                Úmrtia 1844-1851 -
              • John
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Marriage of Michaels Cleszkany, 32, Dluha 69 to Maria Gavalok, age 18, Dluha 127, on 10 January 1870. Page 406/747

                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-27188-25?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-MK3%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443
                  >
                  > Birmovaní 1794, 1820
                  > Krsty 1829-1843, 1852-1897,1844-1851
                  > Manželstvá 1844-1851, 1866-1909 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< marriage record
                  > Úmrtia 1833-1843, 1852-1873
                  > Manželstvá 1852-1866, 1873-1897
                  > Úmrtia 1873-1897
                  > Birmovaní 1874, 1886 –
                • John
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                    >>> Thank you John. I have accessed the baptism records for this family but there doesn't seem to be any marriage or death records online. Do you know of any other place to look? <<<

                    ONLY the birth records have been indexed. NOT the marriage or death records. YOU MUST look through the actual church records to find the desired information.

                    See below for a guide to those records.

                    > Here is an indexed version of the online church records. It will help you to print this and note the section page numbers as you find relevant information.
                    >
                    > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-27188-25?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-MK3%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443
                    >
                    > Birmovaní 1794, 1820
                    > Krsty 1829-1843, 1852-1897,1844-1851
                    > Manželstvá 1844-1851, 1866-1909
                    > Úmrtia 1833-1843, 1852-1873
                    > Manželstvá 1852-1866, 1873-1897
                    > Úmrtia 1873-1897
                    > Birmovaní 1874, 1886 –
                    >
                    > Krsty 1699-1724
                    > Manželstvá 1697-1726
                    > Krsty 1724-1727
                    > Úmrtia 1698-1723 -
                    > Úmrtia 1776-1819 -
                    > Úmrtia 1819-1833
                    > Úmrtia 1823-1827
                    >
                    > Krsty 1727-1776
                    > Manželstvá 1727-1775
                    > Úmrtia 1727-1774
                    > Krsty 1776-1829
                    > Manželstvá 1776-1843
                    >
                    > Úmrtia 1844-1851 -

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
                      >>> Thank you John. I have accessed the baptism records for this family but there doesn't seem to be any marriage or death records online. Do you know of any other place to look? <<<

                      Paulina BLESKAN emigrated in 1904, presumably upon the deaths of her parents.

                      From 1890 thru 1897, only one death is recorded for Dluha 127, that of Joannes GAVALOK on 30 March 1890. Later records (after 1897) would be held at the local civic registry office. They are not available online but there could also be a record at the local parish church.

                      Here is the GAVALOK death record on page 673/747.
                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-25103-60?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-33Z:1611666687