map of Slovakia

  • lickridge
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2012
      Several responders to my previous post mentioned checking a map. Is there a map available online that is recommended to locate towns? Are several maps needed due to the changes that took place...to borders, town names, counties, areas...over the years? What would you suggest?

      All suggestions are much appreciated.

      -Mary Ellen Pierson
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2012
        >>> Is there a map available online that is recommended to locate towns? Are several maps needed due to the changes that took place...to borders, town names, counties, areas...over the years? What would you suggest? <<<

        CURRENT MAP
        To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/

        SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.