travel in Europe

  • christopher
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
      I am planning a trip to Uzhgorod, and have several questions. Would appreciate any and all help with following:
      1. What is best way to get to Uzhgorod?
      2. Any recommendations for cheap hotel? (I don't plan on spending much time in hotel room)
      3. Are American Debit and/or credit cards accepted in Uzhgorod? Do they have ATM's there?
      4. Any information about bus or train passes for travel once in Ukraine?
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
        You can begin your research here: http://www.traveltoukraine.org/

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
          Christopher,
          Uzhgorod sits right on the Slovak/Ukraine border. The nearest airport is in Kosice, 60 miles away.
          Uzhgorod does have an airport, with two destinations:
          South Airlines Kiev-Borispil
          Polet Airlines Voronezh

          There is a train that connects to Kosice, also a bus.
          Bus service: http://www.eu2012ukraine.com/inter-city-bus-service.html,
          BookingBuddy.com is useful for finding a room. I saw rooms starting at $35.
          Visa and Master Card are accepted. There are ATM’s.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
            You may also look at getting to Uzhhorod via Budapest. In Uzhhorod I recommend the Duet Hotel. See:
            http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298059-d2508857-Reviews-Duet_Plus-Uzhhorod_Zakarpattia_Oblast.html

            Do you have family in the area?
            Maureen
            > I am planning a trip to Uzhgorod, and have several questions. Would appreciate any and all help with following:
            > 1. What is best way to get to Uzhgorod?
            > 2. Any recommendations for cheap hotel? (I don't plan on spending much time in hotel room)
            > 3. Are American Debit and/or credit cards accepted in Uzhgorod? Do they have ATM's there?
            > 4. Any information about bus or train passes for travel once in Ukraine?

          • christopher gajda
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
              Yes, I have family in several villages near Uzhgorod (Dovhe Pole, Chaslivtsi, Baraninci and Dravtsi). If I can find a cheap enough place to stay, I'd like to stay for a month maybe. (but don't want to inconvenience relatives)