Re: [S-R] Gentle Reminder

  • Bernardine Weigand
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
      Adrienne, I think you have expressed the sentiments of many. Members
      are not seeking to be lectured or scolded. I detect/sense a loftiness
      of sorts in many of the posts. This does not set the tone for
      positive learning. And yes I usually hesitate posting because of this.

      We all have our own areas of expertise. Flaunting becomes rather
      boorish and in my opinion there is no forum for such... except perhaps
      in the mirror. Humility trumps, any day, any time. Surely a good
      way to stifle learning is by verbal chastising.

      'Tis the season of good will. Peace in the world begins at home and
      right here.

      Respectfully,
      Deannie Weigand
      On Dec 23, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Adrienne Sowards wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > I have been trying to join Slovak world, but can't get any of
      > the moderators to accept my request to join.
      >

      > Personally, I'd rather see off topic posts than those that come
      > across as rude.
      >

      > Sent from my iPhone
      >

      > On Dec 22, 2012, at 3:26 PM, Ben Yahoo <cerrunos1@...> wrote:
      >

      >> This is a question that does affect our new members who are not
      >> currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to
      >> that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of
      >> inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many
      >> of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are
      >> active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may
      >> leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R
      >> members.
      >

      >> Ben
      >

      >> Sent from my iPhone
      >

      >> On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
      >

      >>> Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines
      >

      >>> This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to
      >>> keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.
      >
      >>> * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This
      >>> makes them "jump out" to others.
      >
      >>> * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the
      >>> message subject.
      >
      >>> * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused.
      >>> "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure
      >>> way to get your message lost.
      >
      >>> * We stick to genealogy topics only. The Yahoo group "Slovak
      >>> World" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World and Delphi Forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/
      >>> are great place to discuss current events, recipes and other
      >>> general interests.
      >
      >>> * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at
      >>> the bottom of each posted message.
      >
      >>> * We are primarily a mail-list, but have a web site with other
      >>> useful features. You must have Yahoo ID to use its full features
      >>> such as posting files and photos. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
      >
      >>> o Search ˆ Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
      >
      >>> o Database ˆ A database of surnames with researcher contacts is
      >>> available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/
      >>> , but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
      >
      >>> o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for
      >>> group discussion
      >
      >>> o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be
      >>> sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare
      >>> the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
      >
      >>> * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of
      >>> information. While members may seem "expert" there is always
      >>> something new for everyone to learn!
      >
      >>> * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may
      >>> seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an
      >>> influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
        Oh, enough already!

        Think that you are broadcasting to 1192 people rather than a small group.

        EVERYONE on this list was greeted with the guidelines we operate under, very specifically limiting topics to genealogical. Go elsewhere for a chat forum.

        Maura established this list to isolate pure genealogical discussion from the Everything Slovak discussions on Slovak World. We follow-on monitors have been very, very more lenient than Maura was! I am a historian, not a genealogist, and she took me severely to task three times for introducing very closely history to a topic before I learned my lesson.

        There was no criticism of the request for recipes and it was only after we diverged into Christmas greetings that I copied the gentle "gentle reminder" and sent it out.

        Think of the 1192 people who silently are subjected to ALL of our emails!

        To loftiness, lecturing or scolding, I can only speak for myself. This is not an edited forum where every post is monitored, so each of us is responsible for his own tone. As for me, I only have so many words and a limited ability to compose them, so I try to keep it business like. Bill T. has the ability to compose diplomatic essays, and I believe he authored the gentle reminder, to which I may have added a sentence or two.

        Ron 'Grinch"
        Moderator

        PS. The gentle reminder is a standard form we send out several times every year when topics diverge from the purpose of the forum. It is unfortunate that this occurred on the eve of Christmas.

        Please address any subsequent comments or protests to me individually or to SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@... to reach both moderators.