Re: [S-R] Need help decifering place name

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
      Yes. That struck me as very familiar when I was looking before, but
      couldn't be the same village of my home town.
      I think it's a double barrelled name and rarely written out.
      My town is Hidas Kurth in the Galanta region and is recorded consistently
      as H. Kurth

      I think it is H. Reth or H. Deth or H. Keth, but if you check image 5 -
      right hand page it is certainly H. Reth. I've tried to find it with no
      luck. Maybe someone else can give it a go.

      Peter M.

      On 22 December 2012 07:33, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I have received much help on related items and now I have run into another
      > name that I cannot decipher. It is at:
      >
      > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-2306-10?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
      >
      > On Oct 19, 1834, the death of Venceslaus Vittech was recorded. I cannot
      > decipher the name of the village in the right hand column.
      > I can make out the last 3 letters as "eth: but using my cheat sheet with
      > German writing samples, I cannot determine the first letters. Any help
      > will be appreciated.
      >
      > Using the information provided on my last request, I have found proof that
      > the 'Maria Vitteks' in question are really the same person. I thank you
      > all again for that help.
      >
      > Bob Pollak

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
        I found this http://www.cisarik.com/0_Dlha_Luka_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html
        as Hosszureth or Hosszu-Reth

        On 22 December 2012 10:02, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

        > Yes. That struck me as very familiar when I was looking before, but
        > couldn't be the same village of my home town.
        > I think it's a double barrelled name and rarely written out.
        > My town is Hidas Kurth in the Galanta region and is recorded consistently
        > as H. Kurth
        >
        > I think it is H. Reth or H. Deth or H. Keth, but if you check image 5 -
        > right hand page it is certainly H. Reth. I've tried to find it with no
        > luck. Maybe someone else can give it a go.
        >
        > Peter M.
        >

        > On 22 December 2012 07:33, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> I have received much help on related items and now I have run into
        >> another name that I cannot decipher. It is at:
        >>
        >> https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-2306-10?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
        >>
        >> On Oct 19, 1834, the death of Venceslaus Vittech was recorded. I cannot
        >> decipher the name of the village in the right hand column.
        >> I can make out the last 3 letters as "eth: but using my cheat sheet with
        >> German writing samples, I cannot determine the first letters. Any help
        >> will be appreciated.
        >>
        >> Using the information provided on my last request, I have found proof
        >> that the 'Maria Vitteks' in question are really the same person. I thank
        >> you all again for that help.
        >>
        >> Bob Pollak

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
          Robert,
          I looked at the image. Since the “H Reth” couldn’t lead to a place I looked for other places on the image. Jolesz is now Jovice, Roznava, Kosice, Slovakia. Pacsa or Pacza is Paca, Roznava, Kosice, Slovakia. Várallya could be one of three locations, none of which are in the Hungarian County Gemer like Jolesz and Pacsa. I found one place that might fit the “H Reth”, Krásznáhorka-Hosszúréth. The word is so big they must use an abbreviation. I am guessing “H Reth” stands for Hosszureth. The place is now known as Krásnohorská Dlhá Lúka, Roznava, Kosice, Slovakia. All of these places are relatively close to one another near Roznava.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
            Thanks  Peter,

            Looking at the page and finding a number of entries with the same village, I can see that it possibly is H-Reth.
            After the Holidays I will  start searching the Bardejov, Bardejov records.

            Bob Pollak

            ________________________________
            > Yes. That struck me as very familiar when I was looking before, but
            > couldn't be the same village of my home town.
            > I think it's a double barrelled name and rarely written out.
            > My town is Hidas Kurth in the Galanta region and is recorded consistently
            > as H. Kurth
            >
            > I think it is H. Reth or H. Deth or H. Keth, but if you check image 5 -
            > right hand page it is certainly H. Reth. I've tried to find it with no
            > luck. Maybe someone else can give it a go.
            >
            > Peter M.
            >

            > On 22 December 2012 07:33, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> I have received much help on related items and now I have run into
            >> another name that I cannot decipher. It is at:
            >>
            >> https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-2306-10?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
            >>
            >> On Oct 19, 1834, the death of Venceslaus Vittech was recorded. I cannot
            >> decipher the name of the village in the right hand column.
            >> I can make out the last 3 letters as "eth: but using my cheat sheet with
            >> German writing samples, I cannot determine the first letters. Any help
            >> will be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Using the information provided on my last request, I have found proof
            >> that the 'Maria Vitteks' in question are really the same person. I thank
            >> you all again for that help.
            >>
            >> Bob Pollak

          • Robert Pollak
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2012
              Thank you for the information.    I am quite familiar with the location around Roznava.  Some of my ancestors came from Kovacova and then moved to Krasnohorske Podhradie.  In the 1800's it was known as Krasnohorske Podhradie Varallya or just Varallya.   I never knew the 'old' names of the towns in that area until I found Juraj Cisarik's website.
              Ironically, I passed through Kranohorske Dlha Luka and Jovice last April on my way from Lipovnik to Gemerska Horka.   Paca is just North of Krasnohorske Podhradie.   I still have a cousin living in Lipovnik (or Harskut in Hungarian).
              I now have another possibility where Maria Vittek may have come from.

              Thanks to all who have provided me with possibilities.

              Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !

              Bob Pollak