Help with a record

  • Robert Pollak
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
      I believe that I may have located my gggrandmother.  I found the record at

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1704-80?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

      Her name is Maria Vitek and the marriage was on February 6, 1850.  I don't understand what is printed under her name.  I believe it is Mihaly Szlovak and 'Pro'.    (I have found other records with the name Vitek  or Vittek and  Mihaly Szlovak.)

      I found a record of a marriage of a Michael Szlovak and a Maria Vitek  but the were amrried in 1831.   My Maria Vittek would only have been about 11 or 12 years old at the time.  I am not sure where Maria or the family came from.  Perhaps the following record could show were they came from.
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1988-78?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

      In the column  for Parents, Josef Gyurkovits' parents are listed but none for Maria.   What I find interesting is that Josef Gyurkovits died in 1851.
       One of witnesses to the wedding was Antal Hundzsa.  My gg grandfather is Antal Hundzsa and as a widiwer, he married a Maria Vittek in 1855 and she was listed as a widow.

      I have searched the records for Krasnohorske Podhradie but cannot find a Maria Vittek (or Vitek) that was born about 1818-1820

      If anyone can decipher the record I would appreciate it very much.
       Bob Pollak

    • Ladislav Rosival
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
        The marriage on February 6, 1850 is between Gyurkovits J�sef and Vitek Maria
        widow of Szlov�k Mih�ly. It is not "Pro" but "�zv." (O with two points over
        it), from hungarian "�zvegye" - �zvegy is widow, �zvegye is "widow of". In
        the column parents there is J�zsef - Szalay Juliana (most probably the
        parrents of Gyurkovits J�sef) and a Venczel - probably the father of Maria.

        In the 1831 entry the father of Vitek Maria is Venceslaus Vitek. There is a
        difference of 10 years (in 1831 she was 19, in 1850 she was 30). Hard to say
        who is who.

        Ladislav

        I believe that I may have located my gggrandmother. I found the record at

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1704-80?cc=1554443
        <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1704-80?cc=1554443&wc=M
        M17-7LN:1906989890> &wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

[...]

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
          Hello Robert,

          What a puzzle!
          The first mariage Feb 6 1850 looks as if Gyurkovits Josef married Vitek
          Maria. Now the notation after that is a reference that Maria was previously
          married to Szlovak Mihaly as she was his widow. Ozv = Ozvegy = widow. So
          you should look for Szlovak Mihaly's death record for confirmation. Maria's
          father would be a Vitek and her birth would be 1819-1820 as you've worked
          out according to this record. But either the records are lying or maybe she
          was because if the earlier record is of the same person, then she was 19 in
          1831 when she married Michael Slovak, which gives her a DOB in 1811-1812.
          So check the birth records from 1811+ and see if you can find her.
          If she was born in 1811, then she was 43 or 44 when she married Antal
          Hundzsa - not too late to have children. I wonder how many previous
          children she has with the 2 earlier marriages?

          Alternative explanation is implausible, that the 1811 Maria died after
          marrying Mihaly, who remarried another Maria Vitek (maybe a cousin with no
          birth record) born in 1820 who survived him.

          Peter M.

          On 19 December 2012 08:14, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I believe that I may have located my gggrandmother. I found the record at
          >

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1704-80?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
          >
          > Her name is Maria Vitek and the marriage was on February 6, 1850. I don't
          > understand what is printed under her name. I believe it is Mihaly Szlovak
          > and 'Pro'. (I have found other records with the name Vitek or Vittek
          > and Mihaly Szlovak.)
          >
          > I found a record of a marriage of a Michael Szlovak and a Maria Vitek but
          > the were amrried in 1831. My Maria Vittek would only have been about 11
          > or 12 years old at the time. I am not sure where Maria or the family came
          > from. Perhaps the following record could show were they came from.
          >
          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1988-78?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
          >
          > In the column for Parents, Josef Gyurkovits' parents are listed but none
          > for Maria. What I find interesting is that Josef Gyurkovits died in 1851.
          > One of witnesses to the wedding was Antal Hundzsa. My gg grandfather is
          > Antal Hundzsa and as a widiwer, he married a Maria Vittek in 1855 and she
          > was listed as a widow.
          >
          > I have searched the records for Krasnohorske Podhradie but cannot find a
          > Maria Vittek (or Vitek) that was born about 1818-1820
          >
          > If anyone can decipher the record I would appreciate it very much.
          > Bob Pollak

        • Robert Pollak
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
            Thanks for the information and suggestions.  I believe that these were two different Maria Vitteks.   Antal Hundzsa and Maria Vittek had a son in 1858.   I think that this would be too old ( 47 years old) for the Maria born about 1811

            Bob Pollak

            ________________________________
            The first mariage Feb 6 1850 looks as if Gyurkovits Josef married Vitek
            Maria. Now the notation after that is a reference that Maria was previously
            married to Szlovak Mihaly as she was his widow. Ozv = Ozvegy = widow. So
            you should look for Szlovak Mihaly's death record for confirmation. Maria's
            father would be a Vitek and her birth would be 1819-1820 as you've worked
            out according to this record. But either the records are lying or maybe she
            was because if the earlier record is of the same person, then she was 19 in
            1831 when she married Michael Slovak, which gives her a DOB in 1811-1812.
            So check the birth records from 1811+ and see if you can find her.
            If she was born in 1811, then she was 43 or 44 when she married Antal
            Hundzsa - not too late to have children. I wonder how many previous
            children she has with the 2 earlier marriages?

            Alternative explanation is implausible, that the 1811 Maria died after
            marrying Mihaly, who remarried another Maria Vitek (maybe a cousin with no
            birth record) born in 1820 who survived him.

            Peter M.

            On 19 December 2012 08:14, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I believe that I may have located my gggrandmother. I found the record at
            >

            > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1704-80?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
            >
            > Her name is Maria Vitek and the marriage was on February 6, 1850. I don't
            > understand what is printed under her name. I believe it is Mihaly Szlovak
            > and 'Pro'. (I have found other records with the name Vitek or Vittek
            > and Mihaly Szlovak.)
            >
            > I found a record of a marriage of a Michael Szlovak and a Maria Vitek but
            > the were amrried in 1831. My Maria Vittek would only have been about 11
            > or 12 years old at the time. I am not sure where Maria or the family came
            > from. Perhaps the following record could show were they came from.
            >
            > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22649-1988-78?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890
            >
            > In the column for Parents, Josef Gyurkovits' parents are listed but none
            > for Maria. What I find interesting is that Josef Gyurkovits died in 1851.
            > One of witnesses to the wedding was Antal Hundzsa. My gg grandfather is
            > Antal Hundzsa and as a widiwer, he married a Maria Vittek in 1855 and she
            > was listed as a widow.
            >
            > I have searched the records for Krasnohorske Podhradie but cannot find a
            > Maria Vittek (or Vitek) that was born about 1818-1820
            >
            > If anyone can decipher the record I would appreciate it very much.
            > Bob Pollak

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
              Maria had a number of children with Michael Slovak (according to the LDS
              index) in Rožňava,​ Slovakia. 4 Maria's in fact! - the last one born in
              1841, but her name was mis-indexed as SITTEK.

              Also, check the residence columns. At her marriage, she was not resident in
              Varallya, but another place which I can't read. I think it is Lessco. or
              Lesfco. probably shortened. In her next marriage, her residence was Lukacovce
              I think. That could be a reason for why you can't find birth records for
              her.

              Peter M.

            • Robert Pollak
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2012
                Thank you for the information about possible places where Maria Lived.  It gives me more places to search.     One of the records listed her father's name as Venceslaus.  I found a Venceslaus Vittek in Dorna Krupa, Trnava.

                Thanks again to all who helped and provided very useful information.

                A Merry Christmas to all

                Bob Pollak

                ________________________________
                Maria had a number of children with Michael Slovak (according to the LDS
                index) in Rožňava,​ Slovakia. 4 Maria's in fact! - the last one born in
                1841, but her name was mis-indexed as SITTEK.

                Also, check the residence columns. At her marriage, she was not resident in
                Varallya, but another place which I can't read. I think it is Lessco. or
                Lesfco. probably shortened. In her next marriage, her residence was Lukacovce
                I think. That could be a reason for why you can't find birth records for
                her.

                Peter M.

                On 19 December 2012 09:58, Ladislav Rosival <lacoros@...> wrote:

                > The marriage on February 6, 1850 is between Gyurkovits Jósef and Vitek
                > Maria
                > widow of Szlovák Mihály. It is not "Pro" but "Özv." (O with two points over
                > it), from hungarian "özvegye" - özvegy is widow, özvegye is "widow of". In
                > the column parents there is József - Szalay Juliana (most probably the
                > parrents of Gyurkovits Jósef) and a Venczel - probably the father of Maria.
                >

                > In the 1831 entry the father of Vitek Maria is Venceslaus Vitek. There is a
                > difference of 10 years (in 1831 she was 19, in 1850 she was 30). Hard to
                > say
                > who is who.
                >

                > Ladislav

              • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2012
                  I know this is off-topic (and I don't remember the name of the other
                  Czech-Slovak groups to join and ask), but perhaps someone can help me
                  with English measurement recipes. We have a foreign exchange student
                  from Brno, Czech (her grandma lives 2 villages away from where we've
                  traced my husband's family in Slovakia). Her mom sent me recipes, but
                  all metric (grams, etc) and of course, in Czech. I can do some in
                  Google translate, but If ANY of you have the following recipes (or ones
                  very similar) using cups and in English, please private e-mail me them.
                  It would make her Christmas. :)
                  Here are the ones Paja's mom sent me:

                  Kavove Zrna
                  Pernicky, Ktere jsou hned mekke
                  Linecke kolieska
                  Maizenove tycinky
                  vianocny orechovy pletenec
                  plneny pletenec

                  Thanks so much!
                  Luanne = kodipup@...
                • Nick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 20, 2012
                    > Try looking them up on Babara Rolek's web page

                    >http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/

                    Regards
                    Nick
                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 20, 2012
                      Google each title.  Click on translate for recipe.  You have a choice to select the most readable one.

                      You might like to google a recipe conversion.

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________
                      > Try looking them up on Babara Rolek's web page

                      >http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/

                      Regards
                      Nick

                    • vera holman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 20, 2012
                        Hello Nick,
                        I subscribe to the news letter of Slovak Cooking, here is the site.

                        lubos@slovakcooking,com

                        Hope this helps.
                        Enjoy,
                        Vera