Re: Translation Help - Maria Janossy

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 14 9:44 PM
      Bill,
      Well, getting that information from you was like pulling teeth. Now that we see them online we can see that the priest just thinks that the former name Krchma is the name that best describes her. Do the registers change at particular time from Janossy to Krcma?? Or do they go back and forth sequentially? If they change at a particular time it may be a new wife named Maria. If they go back and forth, it remains a mystery as to why the priest thinks that name best describes his wife.

      Curt B.
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William" <wsmorey@...> wrote:

      > Curt,
      > Again, thanks for the reply. Apologize for not providing more complete information.
      > Yes, Film 1791929 for Zehra is the one I'm referring to. It is listed as:
      >
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1646-1948 / Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Žehra (Spišská Nová Ves). Items 6-7. Specifically it is a Baptism record for Anna on 17 December 1813. Parents are Mathias Czmorej and Maria (followed by the word I am trying to figure out)
      > and place of baptism is Grancs.
      >
      > In the same film, 28 April 1816 there is another Baptism record for Helena to Mathias and wife Maria followed by the words causing me problems.
      >
      > The main translation issue however is on Film 1791915 which is listed as:
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1646-1948 / Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Žehra (Spišská Nová Ves)
      > It is a baptism record for Susanna (deceased, as it has a cross above her name). The date is 4 September 1831.
      >
      > As to whether the films are on line or not - I just can't figure that out from using the LDS web site. I have searched back and forth quite a bit but no matter what I try, I cannot come up with those numbers listed under either Zehra or Spisska Nova Ves.
      >
      > Appreciate your patience and direction.
      > R/Bill
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bill,
      > > The LDS catalog says that film 1791929 covering Zehra, etc. is online. Is this the film you reference?? If so, give us image citations. See the LDS catalog. But they also give the same number for a different film as well. Or are you referring to some other film? Just give us an actual COMPLETE film citation, rather than your interpretation and maybe someone can help. Is your film online or not?? THe answer is either yes, or no, or I don't know.
      > >
      > > Curt B.
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William" <wsmorey@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks to you and others for the comments. To answer - both samples are from the LDS Church Film record number 1791929 for Grancs-Petrovce in Spis. The film also covers Dubrava, Zehra, Beharovce and Olsavka. They are birth records for children of Mathias and Maria, one on April 28, 1816 and the other on Sept 4, 1831. Including the marriage record in Sep/Oct 1809 there are 12 records in all. There are actually 3 entries each with a variation:
      > > > 17 Dec 1813 - after Maria it looks like "Kacmar"
      > > > 21 April 1816 - after Maria it looks like "glesebo Kac(s)ma"
      > > > 4 Sept 1831 - after Maria: "Sz.axi Krcma"
      > > > Except for those entries her last name of Janossy is used consistently and is quite clear. Other entries, as noted, have religion and status such as Roman Catholic and Pleb. I am familiar with those.
      > > > Using my Mac I scanned and copied those two entries but perhaps there is a better way. I'll work on it.
> [...]
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 75 of 75 , Aug 13
        The first part of the note is in Latin, and says there were twins, but the girl was stillborn. The last part is in Hungarian (jarasbirosag? and nyomores?).

        Joe