Re: Translation Help - Maria Janossy

  • William
    Message 1 of 59 , Dec 12, 2012
      Many thanks to you and others for the comments. To answer - both samples are from the LDS Church Film record number 1791929 for Grancs-Petrovce in Spis. The film also covers Dubrava, Zehra, Beharovce and Olsavka. They are birth records for children of Mathias and Maria, one on April 28, 1816 and the other on Sept 4, 1831. Including the marriage record in Sep/Oct 1809 there are 12 records in all. There are actually 3 entries each with a variation:
      17 Dec 1813 - after Maria it looks like "Kacmar"
      21 April 1816 - after Maria it looks like "glesebo Kac(s)ma"
      4 Sept 1831 - after Maria: "Sz.axi Krcma"
      Except for those entries her last name of Janossy is used consistently and is quite clear. Other entries, as noted, have religion and status such as Roman Catholic and Pleb. I am familiar with those.
      Using my Mac I scanned and copied those two entries but perhaps there is a better way. I'll work on it.
      Also, all 12 records seem to be written by a different hand and I have looked through all of them for similar entries and do not see them.
      Bill

      > Bill,
      > The writing UNDER the name is an abbreviation of her religion and status in the first instance. That is, Roman Catholic and Pleb. or commoner and not nobility.
      >
      > In you second example it just gives the religion, abbreviated - Roman Catholic.
      >
      > It seems pretty clear that the writer thinks she has an alias or second name of Krcma. Or at least he is supplying it to prevent confusion with some other person. While many names have distant meanings that come from professions, places, etc., there is no reason to believe that the refers to a profession.
      >
      > When asking your kind of question it would be helpful if you told us beforehand what kind of register this is; baptismal?? and the year and place. If the text is online, by all means give the citation so others can read a full text and examine handwriting and column headings etc. By not supplying this information you make answering much more difficult.
      >
      > Curt B.
      >
      > Curt B.-
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William" <wsmorey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just uploaded two files labeled Maria Czmorej Scan 2 and Scan 3. I have struggled with interpreting the writing under her name for some time to no avail. I have the marriage record and other church records which show her maiden name as Janossy. In both files it looks like the second word is something like "krcma" but the first word is different in each file. Any help appreciated. Bill

    • MGMojher
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 6, 2014
        Eugene,
            In the 1995 Slovak Census the surnames Kladzan and Szkladani only have one listing each. Kladzan in eastern Slovakia, Michalovce, and Szklandani in western Slovakia, Bratislava.
            Family Search had no listing for Szklandani in Vinne. It did have some Kladzan in Vinne among 1353 listings for Kladzan - https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AKladzan~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22Slovakia%22

            Your Hladky in the 1995 census:
        Priezvisko HLADKY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        ŽIHÁREC,  okr. GALANTA (od  r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;
        VINNÉ,  okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

            Your Pikula in the 1995 census had 92 listings in 37 locations. The one that may be of interest to you is - LASTOMÍR,  okr. MICHALOVCE  that had 6 Pikula finds.

        Priezvisko PIKULA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 92×, celkový počet lokalít: 37, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

            The census had no listing for Labadov, one alternative was given -
        Priezvisko LABANOV sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
        HOLÍČ,  okr. SENICA (od  r. 1996 SKALICA) – 1×;

        Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 5:43 AM
        Subject: [S-R] Re: Translation Help

        An interesting name, "Georgius Szkladani " and year "1783" which caught my attention and  leaves me to wonder, given the rarity of the surname itself, if there might be a connection in any way between it and the "Kladzan" surname of my ancestor, Joannes Kladzan, found in the RC church records of village Vinne, Slovakia,1828, the year and place of his birth and baptism. The "Kladzan" spelling survived in my branch of the family until 1910 when it suddenly appeared as "Klodzen" in the US Census of that year. For us it's remained that way ever since, another branch of the family continues the "Kladzan" spelling .

        Eugene Klodzen
        Researching KLADZAN, HLADKY, PIKULA, LABADOV