Re: Translation Help

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 11 9:59 PM
      Bill,
      The writing UNDER the name is an abbreviation of her religion and status in the first instance. That is, Roman Catholic and Pleb. or commoner and not nobility.

      In you second example it just gives the religion, abbreviated - Roman Catholic.

      It seems pretty clear that the writer thinks she has an alias or second name of Krcma. Or at least he is supplying it to prevent confusion with some other person. While many names have distant meanings that come from professions, places, etc., there is no reason to believe that the refers to a profession.

      When asking your kind of question it would be helpful if you told us beforehand what kind of register this is; baptismal?? and the year and place. If the text is online, by all means give the citation so others can read a full text and examine handwriting and column headings etc. By not supplying this information you make answering much more difficult.

      Curt B.

      Curt B.-

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William" <wsmorey@...> wrote:

      > I just uploaded two files labeled Maria Czmorej Scan 2 and Scan 3. I have struggled with interpreting the writing under her name for some time to no avail. I have the marriage record and other church records which show her maiden name as Janossy. In both files it looks like the second word is something like "krcma" but the first word is different in each file. Any help appreciated. Bill

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 75 of 75 , Aug 13
        The first part of the note is in Latin, and says there were twins, but the girl was stillborn. The last part is in Hungarian (jarasbirosag? and nyomores?).

        Joe