Re: [S-R] Translation Help

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 59 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hello Bill,
      Those images are pretty well buried in your upload. If you got these
      online, then it is much easier for us if you copy and paste the link in a
      of record (eg birth) and we can follow that to get a more comprehensive
      view where we can compare the writing style for each entry. Also latin
      entries were interrupted with localized language around 1849, so that would
      help us as well.

      I think that both sets of words are the same (or almost), but written by a
      different hand.
      The entry is in latin, thought the 2 words after Maria don't appear to be.
      Image 2: looks like szra()ci is Szta()c() <--SZ is Hungarian for S
      Image 3: looks like starefo is Statcs()

      Image 2: Kicma (pronounced Kitchma)
      Image 3: K(ol)csma - can be Kitcsma <cs is pronounced Ch as in church.

      Now considering that the little upstroke before the c in image 2 for
      Sztatcs could be a t and so there is a phonetic similarity with image 3's
      Statcs.
      The same can be said for the other word.
      I think that both words sounded foreign to the scribe who wrote it the best
      he could. I don't think it is Hungarian.
      If you are sure that it is not her maiden name - or if he didn't remarry,
      then the likelyhood is that it is a placename (from this village), an
      alias, or even a job description.

      Peter M.
      On 12 December 2012 09:32, William <wsmorey@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I just uploaded two files labeled Maria Czmorej Scan 2 and Scan 3. I have
      > struggled with interpreting the writing under her name for some time to no
      > avail. I have the marriage record and other church records which show her
      > maiden name as Janossy. In both files it looks like the second word is
      > something like "krcma" but the first word is different in each file. Any
      > help appreciated. Bill

    • MGMojher
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 6, 2014
        Eugene,
            In the 1995 Slovak Census the surnames Kladzan and Szkladani only have one listing each. Kladzan in eastern Slovakia, Michalovce, and Szklandani in western Slovakia, Bratislava.
            Family Search had no listing for Szklandani in Vinne. It did have some Kladzan in Vinne among 1353 listings for Kladzan - https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AKladzan~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22Slovakia%22

            Your Hladky in the 1995 census:
        Priezvisko HLADKY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        ŽIHÁREC,  okr. GALANTA (od  r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;
        VINNÉ,  okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

            Your Pikula in the 1995 census had 92 listings in 37 locations. The one that may be of interest to you is - LASTOMÍR,  okr. MICHALOVCE  that had 6 Pikula finds.

        Priezvisko PIKULA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 92×, celkový počet lokalít: 37, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

            The census had no listing for Labadov, one alternative was given -
        Priezvisko LABANOV sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
        HOLÍČ,  okr. SENICA (od  r. 1996 SKALICA) – 1×;

        Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 5:43 AM
        Subject: [S-R] Re: Translation Help

        An interesting name, "Georgius Szkladani " and year "1783" which caught my attention and  leaves me to wonder, given the rarity of the surname itself, if there might be a connection in any way between it and the "Kladzan" surname of my ancestor, Joannes Kladzan, found in the RC church records of village Vinne, Slovakia,1828, the year and place of his birth and baptism. The "Kladzan" spelling survived in my branch of the family until 1910 when it suddenly appeared as "Klodzen" in the US Census of that year. For us it's remained that way ever since, another branch of the family continues the "Kladzan" spelling .

        Eugene Klodzen
        Researching KLADZAN, HLADKY, PIKULA, LABADOV