Re: [S-R] Translation Help

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hello Bill,
      Those images are pretty well buried in your upload. If you got these
      online, then it is much easier for us if you copy and paste the link in a
      of record (eg birth) and we can follow that to get a more comprehensive
      view where we can compare the writing style for each entry. Also latin
      entries were interrupted with localized language around 1849, so that would
      help us as well.

      I think that both sets of words are the same (or almost), but written by a
      different hand.
      The entry is in latin, thought the 2 words after Maria don't appear to be.
      Image 2: looks like szra()ci is Szta()c() <--SZ is Hungarian for S
      Image 3: looks like starefo is Statcs()

      Image 2: Kicma (pronounced Kitchma)
      Image 3: K(ol)csma - can be Kitcsma <cs is pronounced Ch as in church.

      Now considering that the little upstroke before the c in image 2 for
      Sztatcs could be a t and so there is a phonetic similarity with image 3's
      Statcs.
      The same can be said for the other word.
      I think that both words sounded foreign to the scribe who wrote it the best
      he could. I don't think it is Hungarian.
      If you are sure that it is not her maiden name - or if he didn't remarry,
      then the likelyhood is that it is a placename (from this village), an
      alias, or even a job description.

      Peter M.
      On 12 December 2012 09:32, William <wsmorey@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I just uploaded two files labeled Maria Czmorej Scan 2 and Scan 3. I have
      > struggled with interpreting the writing under her name for some time to no
      > avail. I have the marriage record and other church records which show her
      > maiden name as Janossy. In both files it looks like the second word is
      > something like "krcma" but the first word is different in each file. Any
      > help appreciated. Bill

    • tombon1969
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 3, 2013

        Thank you very much Lexy!-Tom